1 in 5 women get raped?

BillRM

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 07:00 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
I didn't know hawkeye was bald. Or is that BillM? (I know it's not nono because he's black, not white.

BALD?????????????????
wmwcjr

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2014 09:01 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
Looks kinda hip or related to Elmer Fudd. Mr. Green
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 02:30 am
@bobsal u1553115,
BillRM looks like a classic nerd. Or at least he used to when he was younger.

https://calculatedbravery.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/nerd.jpg
nononono

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:03 am
This is the kind of thinking that many on A2K are displaying. This is seriously scary. Being certifiably crazy is not something to be proud of.

No matter what Jackie said, we should generally believe rape claims

In last month’s deep and damning Rolling Stone report about sexual assault at the University of Virginia, a reporter told the story of “Jackie,” who said she was gang raped at a fraternity party and then essentially ignored by the administration. It helped dramatize what happens when the claims of victims are not taken seriously.

Now the narrative appears to be falling apart: Her rapist wasn’t in the frat that she says he was a member of; the house held no party on the night of the assault; and other details are wobbly. Many people (not least U-Va. administrators) will be tempted to see this as a reminder that officials, reporters and the general public should hear both sides of the story and collect all the evidence before coming to a conclusion in rape cases. This is what we mean in America when we say someone is “innocent until proven guilty.” After all, look what happened to the Duke lacrosse players.

In important ways, this is wrong. We should believe, as a matter of default, what an accuser says. Ultimately, the costs of wrongly disbelieving a survivor far outweigh the costs of calling someone a rapist. Even if Jackie fabricated her account, U-Va. should have taken her word for it during the period while they endeavored to prove or disprove the accusation. This is not a legal argument about what standards we should use in the courts; it’s a moral one, about what happens outside the legal system.

The accused would have a rough period. He might be suspended from his job; friends might defriend him on Facebook. In the case of Bill Cosby, we might have to stop watching his shows, consuming his books or buying tickets to his traveling stand-up routine. But false accusations are exceedingly rare, and errors can be undone by an investigation that clears the accused, especially if it is done quickly.

The cost of disbelieving women, on the other hand, is far steeper. It signals that that women don’t matter and that they are disposable — not only to frat boys and Bill Cosby, but to us. And they face a special set of problems in having their say.

“Rape culture,” as it is often called, is real. Because rape it is such a poisonous charge, we are so careful not to level it until we can really prove it. But this is exceedingly hard: The evidence vanishes quickly, often as soon as the survivor takes a shower; so unless she immediately reports the assault, much of the physical evidence is destroyed by the time she can get to a rape kit. (It doesn’t help that 400,000 untested rape kits are sitting on warehouse shelves collecting dust.) Many survivors do eventually come forward, but 60 percent of rapes are never reported to the police.

And while the clock is ticking on the physical evidence, survivors are often grappling with the first stages of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), creating a perfect storm of foggy memories, isolation and denial. It’s common for them to experience a dissociative moment when they try to “get over it” and move on with their lives, says Andrea Pino, a survivor and co-founder of End Rape on Campus. “It wasn’t until 10 days after my rape, when finishing a half marathon, that I fully came to realize what had happened to me. I was covered in bruises, had lost my appetite, and even had been having nightmares, but I denied everything to myself; I couldn’t have been ‘raped,’” she says.

The lasting psychological wound left by sexual assault is unique — and makes justice less likely. Survivors’ memories are often blurry, and they tell conflicting stories about what happened to them. The narration Jackie gave to Rolling Stone, her friends, and a Washington Post reporter do not all agree with each other. This is not surprising given the research on the aftermath a sexual assault and how PTSD affects the hippocampus portion of the brain that controls memory. (No wonder only 3 percent of rapists go to prison.)

This is not because women lie. In fact (despite various popular myths), the FBI reports that only 2-8 percent of rape allegations turn out to be false, a number that is smaller than the number (10 percent) who lie about car theft. Yet while women claimed for years that Cosby had raped them, nothing happened. Instead, everyone who abetted and covered Cosby appeared to believe in “a massive conspiracy, between women who don’t know each other, all to bring down Cosby four decades after the fact and long after legal consequences are possible,” says Jaclyn Friedman, author of “Yes Means Yes!: Visions of Female Sexual Power and a World Without Rape.”

Disbelieving women, then, not only compounds their trauma (often by making them doubt their own stories), but it also lets a serial rapist go free. According to a 2002 study conducted by David Lisak at UMASS Boston, 90 percent of rapes on campus are committed by serial offenders who rape an average of six times. These people escape the rule of law — sometimes the perpetrator outlives the statute of limitations — and reinjure their victims.

The time we spend picking apart a traumatized survivor’s narration on the hunt for discrepancies is time that should be spent punishing serial rapists. “When a woman is coming forward to reveal that she has been sexually assaulted, statistics and empathy should demand we believe and support her. By loudly disbelieving Cosby’s accusers, no matter how unlikely it is that they are all lying, we are telling the survivors in our own lives, that we don’t believe them either,” says Friedman.

That means we have to admit that a rapist is not literally a monster; he is a person who chose to violate another person’s consent and bodily autonomy. Discrepancies in a survivor’s account are common, but we must be able to offer our hand of support to survivors without requiring them to have a video record of what happened to them as proof. We constantly wax poetic about how seriously we as a society take the dignity-crime of sexual assault, and yet we never seem to want to believe that anyone who has been accused is actually capable of committing it. Someone is out here raping 1 in 5 American women and yes, it could be someone that you know and love. It could be the boy at the frat party.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/posteverything/wp/2014/12/06/no-matter-what-jackie-said-we-should-automatically-believe-rape-claims/

----------------------------

The woman who wrote this article is 100% batshit crazy insane. Drunk
nononono

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:07 am
@BillRM,
I'm not bald.
BillRM

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 04:16 am
@nononono,
Quote:
We should believe, as a matter of default, what an accuser says. Ultimately, the costs of wrongly disbelieving a survivor far outweigh the costs of calling someone a rapist.

My god you are right completely crazy indeed as a false charge of rape can destroy an innocent man life just as fast as a woman being a rape victim can.

No one should be assume guilty of such a misdeed until they are proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they are guilty.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:34 am
@BillRM,
Quote:
No one should be assume guilty of such a misdeed until they are proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they are guilty.

Quote:
We should believe, as a matter of default, what an accuser says. Ultimately, the costs of wrongly disbelieving a survivor far outweigh the costs of calling someone a rapist.

No one should assume guilt of anything without proof being brought forwards with due process. The above quote goes to show just how fucked up America is these days.

http://catholicphilosophyblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/goldenrule.jpg
0 Replies

nononono

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:39 am
The post where I simply stated the fact that I'm not bald got voted down. Wow, asshole much?
nononono

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 05:42 am
@nononono,
I love kittens and puppies. And rainbows!

Vote that one down you ************!
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:13 pm
@BillRM,
Don't sweat it sparky, he meant stupid as ****.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:15 pm
@nononono,
As opposed to you: Jackie's lying, they all lie. And its never been said that she lied. So go **** yourself.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2014 03:17 pm
@nononono,
Just stupid. Even Bill knows that and he doesn't know very much.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:29 am
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
SURE SHE GOT HERSELF DRUNK, FLASHED HER PUSSY AT YOU IN THE BAR, AND WHEN SHE CAME HOME WITH YOU GOT NAKID AND CRAWLED INTO BED WITH YOU, BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN SHE WANTED YOUR DICK!"

SURE HE GOT HER DRUNK, TARGETED HER, TOLD HER SHE WAS BEAUTIFUL, NO ONE HAD TOLD HER THAT BEFORE, TOLD HER HE WANTED TO SEE HER AGAIN, TAKE HER OUT, TOLD HER THAT SHE IS HIS IDEAL MATCH, THEN HE OFFERED A TAXI TO TAKE HER HOME BUT KNOWING SHE DRANK TOO MUCH ASKED HER TO COME BACK TO HIS, HE WOULD SLEEP ON THE COUCH, SHE WAS SO MOVED WHEN SHE GOT THERE SHE TRUSTED HIM, GOT NAKID AND CRAWLED INTO BED WITH HIM.. THEN HE PUSHED HER, HELD HER DOWN, LAUGHED AND SHE SAID NO...

She ain't got nothing, she was drunk it's in her system no one would believe her, he knew that, he's laughing... she's distraught.

One sided Hawkeye.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:31 am
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:
She ain't got nothing, she was drunk it's in her system no one would believe her, he knew that, he's laughing... she's distraught.

dont get drunk without your wingman
dont leave your wingman
and for fucks sake dont go to a guys house alone at 1 am drunk, then get nakid and crawl in bed it him. After that I dont give a **** if you think you were raped....you were a idiot, maybe after this you will wise up .

Call it tough love.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 01:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
That quote may work on the younger generation, in the context you wrote it they might even read that and think on it.

Most girls though Hawk, don't cry rape if they willingly drank and were turned on and went to the guys house after... Most.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 02:16 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
FOUND SOUL wrote:
SHE WAS SO MOVED WHEN SHE GOT THERE SHE TRUSTED HIM, GOT NAKID AND CRAWLED INTO BED WITH HIM.. THEN HE PUSHED HER, HELD HER DOWN, LAUGHED AND SHE SAID NO...

I don't think so. If she does not want to have sex with the guy, she is NOT going to take off her clothes and climb into bed with him, no matter how drunk she is.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 06:55 pm
I once read a post at another website that had been submitted by some lady who claimed her husband had been an outstanding football player in high school. In his senior year, he received several offers from universities to play football on an athletic scholarship; but he turned them all down. He had decided to stop playing football because he had become a mean guy and he wanted to stop being mean.

Likewise (well, perhaps my comparison here is a bit stretched), this thread has brought out the worst in me. I don't like what I see, what with me being mean to The Three and all. Sure, their views must be challenged; but there's no need to be mean to them! Crying or Very sad Yes, I peeked at one of hawkeye's posts; and I saw this:

http://catholicphilosophyblog.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/goldenrule.jpg

Yes, hawkeye is right (although I'm sure he's not a Catholic)! Well, at least about the Golden Rule. (Of course, I still don't agree with hawkeye's, shall we say, eccentric views; but that is beside the point!) Therefore, I've decided to remove myself from further participation in this thread since I don't want to continue to be mean. Now, I'm not saying any other poster in this thread is mean. I don't judge (well, at least most of the time Mr. Green ). I'm also very short on time these days, anyway. As Dale what's-his-face says so often, "Alas and alack!"

P.S. I never said nono was bald. Smile

nononono

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 07:03 pm
@wmwcjr,
Quote:
I don't like what I see, what with me being mean to "The Three"

One thing you, and everyone else could do to not "be mean", is to quit referring to hawkeye, Bill, and myself as though we're all one person. As if we aren't different people with different life experiences and different viewpoints.

One thing no one has ever said in regards to "The Three" of us, is that it takes gumption to stand up against the grain. I would go so far as to argue that it doesn't take any courage at all to nod along with the socially accepted, politically correct, social justice narrative here on A2K.
wmwcjr

Reply Mon 22 Dec, 2014 07:05 pm
@izzythepush,
But . . . but . . . but . . . I like nerds! Crying or Very sad I used to eat them before I was diagnosed with diabetes.

http://www.collectingcandy.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/CC_ForTheLoveOfNerds_TITLE-PLATE.jpg
0 Replies