1 in 5 women get raped?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 04:48 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
We now know you did not rob that store but we are sure you are thinking of robbing other stores in the near future so your punishment stand.

As we talked about in the rape thread the feminist attitude is " well, if he did no do this then he almost certainly is guilty of something else, so **** him if he gets punished for something that he did not actually do".

University of Virginia is following that program to the letter.

It is very sad. These places used to be for education, now they do indoctrination. They used to be guided by reason, now they are guided by emotion and the will of the mob. Facts used to mean something at the university. No more.

We used to be better.
FOUND SOUL

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 05:30 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Taking someone's life in an act of murder, and depriving them of their future, I definitely see as the most egregious act of all--it's the complete obliteration of an irreplaceable life.

I don't disagree with you either on that note.

You read me correctly with my answer. One is no longer here, the other "may" have to go through life with emotional problems that will ruin her life.

I follow the belief that we only live once, in this body and so, make the most of it. It pains me to think of the trauma girls/women have to go through for the rest of their lives over selfishness of "some" men.

I am also as you know one to believe that there is an afterlife. So I hope those that lost theirs come back and have an awesome life the next time.

I do understand "some" women can get over it.

But, just as Cosby allegedly raped women for a good portion of his life as a young Adult, some went on and got passed it but you can see from the coverage, some certainly did not, some 40 years later.

Hawkeye and Bill seem to be more concerned with calling bullshit on women as if they are lying. Maybe they were accused when they were younger.....
firefly

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 06:08 pm
@FOUND SOUL,
Quote:

Hawkeye and Bill seem to be more concerned with calling bullshit on women as if they are lying. Maybe they were accused when they were younger.....

Well BillRM was accused of domestic abuse--his ex-wife went to court and obtained an order of protection against him, and he never appeared in court, which he had every right to do, to refute her charges against him. Of course he asserts now that she was lying about him then, but he never bothered to appear in court to say that at the time, or to defend his reputation and good name, which makes his now deeming her a liar rather suspect and self-serving.

And Hawkeye is enmeshed in a BDSM lifestyle that is about the sadomasochistic domination of women--involving things like tying up and gagging his wife during sex--so his views on the issues of rape and consent are colored by his own sexual preferences, and his anxiety that the laws will crimp or hinder that BDSM lifestyle.

This is pretty much how Hawkeye views "consent" and what's normal sex for him.
http://jmuwomensstudentcaucus.files.wordpress.com/2013/02/rape.jpg

I think that both Hawkeye and BillRM fall into this category in terms of how they feel about women.
http://www.historiann.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/he-man.jpg

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 06:13 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
And Hawkeye is enmeshed in a BDSM lifestyle that is about the sadomasochistic domination of women--involving things like tying up and gagging his wife during sex--so his views on the issues of rape and consent are colored by his own sexual preferences, and his anxiety that the laws will crimp or hinder that BDSM lifestyle.

That, plus I demand that the collectives process of adjudicating sexual disputes strive to provide justice and fairness to both parties.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 06:15 pm
Attorney for UVA’s ‘Jackie’ says she has been threatened
Source: MSNBC

The attorney who now represents “Jackie,” the young woman whose story of a gang rape at a University of Virginia fraternity was at the center of a disputed Rolling Stone story, said the experience has been ”very stressful, overwhelming and retraumatizing for Jackie and her family.”

Palma E. Pustilnik, a staff attorney at the Central Virginia Legal Aid Society who said she primarily focuses on working with survivors of domestic and sexual violence, issued a statement Wednesday after being retained last week by Jackie, as she is known in the story.

“I would like to take this opportunity to thank those of you who have approached us with tact and sensitivity,” Pustilnik said in a statement aimed at the press. She added, “I will also take this opportunity to let others know that threats and attempts to extort and/or intimidate have been and will continue to be reported to the appropriate authorities.”

Since Rolling Stone put out an initial statement that said ”our trust in her was misplaced,” which it has since removed, various internet trolls have published what they claim is Jackie’s full name and personal information. The magazine has yet to make a full accounting of its reporting process, but The Washington Post has raised several discrepancies in Rolling Stone’s account, including friends who say they were not interviewed by Rolling Stone and remember the incident differently.

Read more: http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/attorney-uvas-jackie-says-she-has-been-threatened

Full statement.

A roommate of Jackie has come forward claiming to have noticed Jackie having emotional issues in the months following her rape.

Nonetheless, the author of the Jackie story had a previous story about rape, that time with accusations against Catholic priests and also with credibility issues.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 06:19 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
If you are a woman who does not want to face disapproval from your peers then dont make false statements against some of your male peers. As always you were free to run your mouth at will, but doing that in poor fashion can carry consequences.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 07:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
They used to be guided by reason, now they are guided by emotion and the will of the mob....

The "mob"? Are you sure it's not the will of "the collective"? Laughing

UVA would have had the same sexual assault mishandling issues even if the RS article were never published--it's had those for some time, which is why they've been the target of a federal investigation of the issue. The RS story really doesn't change anything, which is why the UVA president is correctly sticking to her guns. Even in cases where a student has been found guilty of sexual misconduct, not a single one has every been expelled from the UVA campus for that.

And many universities are grappling with the issue of how much fraternities contribute to the problem of sexual assault, and sexist attitudes and behaviors, and some other schools are also banning, or temporarily suspending them, or halting their social activities, while they sort these matters out. They have long been recognized as a somewhat problematic group, and nothing about the RS article changes that.

So, nothing about the need to reform policies, in how sexual assault matters are handled at UVA, was essentially effected by the RS story at all.

Nor is it at all clear that Jackie, who you've taken to calling, "That lying bitch", with true anti-female bloodthirsty delight, was actually lying about having gone through a sexually traumatic experience that night, details of which might have gotten scrambled or distorted. Her close friends who spent the night with her, immediately after the alleged event, did feel she had been through a horrible traumatic ordeal, and they were concerned about her, which is why they spent the night with her.

Just as skepticism about the RS story was appropriate, skepticism that Jackie was intentionally lying, rather than just confused or suffering from trauma, is also appropriate. It's rather hard to discern a motive for why someone would maliciously and intentionally fabricate such an account in this particular situation, and I'm more inclined to believe that either something that was terrible and traumatic did happen to her that night and/or she is a very emotionally fragile or emotionally disturbed young woman. You're only too happy to start nailing her to the cross--you're doing the exact thing to a woman that you deride women for doing to men. So much for any claims you might have for the moral high ground.

And I'm relieved to think that the horrendous ordeal that Jackie described may not have happened. I think everyone should be relieved about that. But that doesn't mean that something, very traumatic, didn't happen to her that night, just not the version that wound up in RS.
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 07:37 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
UVA would have had the same sexual assault mishandling issues even if the RS article were never published--

I dont know for a fact that there has been any problem here, all I know is that the feds accused them, and a whole lot of others, at the behest of the feminists.

Quote:
And many universities are grappling with the issue of how much fraternities contribute to the problem of sexual assault
Find out first, then devise solutions after. Radical concept I know.

Quote:
So, nothing about the need to reform policies, in how sexual assault matters are handled at UVA, was essentially effected by the RS story at all.
we did not know before and we did not know after what if anything is wrong with policies, but this article nicely illustrates the truth that women sometimes lie about sexual abuse

Quote:
was actually lying about having gone through a sexually traumatic experience that night
though we do know that there was not a scratch on her, that she refused to go the the hospital to get a rape kit, refused to go the the police, and lied about who if anyone assaulted her

Quote:
skepticism that Jackie was intentionally lying, rather than just confused or suffering from trauma, is also appropriate.
skepticism about any and all assertions of transgression are appropriate, we need to document that a wrong has been done before we search for suspects. The woman did not submit herself for examination, and if she did not care about what allegedly happened that night enough to do so then I would be a fool to care more than she did.

Quote:
. You're only too happy to start nailing her to the cross--you're doing the exact thing to a woman that you deride women for doing to men. So much for any claims you might have for the moral high ground.
Truth and justice used to be the American way...that is the moral high ground. There is nothing morally right about assuming that those who claim to be victims are in fact victims, this is idiotic bullshit from the victim culture advocates. We should be ashamed that we bought this nonsense at all, and now it is time to do the right thing.
BillRM

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Truth and justice used to be the American way...that is the moral high ground. There is nothing morally right about assuming that those who claim to be victims are in fact victims,

Hawkeye, I love the idea that when there is nowhere near the level of proof needed to prove a crime even had happen we then have college panels where due process and all basic rights of the accuse such as facing his accuser is thrown out and the level of proof is greatly reduce.

Men are after all are always guilt if women state they are guilt so if we can not nail them in a court of law we set up kangaroo courts to at least end their college careers.

Colleges/universities should not be handling complains of sexual assaults that what we have courts and police for!!!!!!
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 08:53 pm
@BillRM,
The federal government will end up regretting their lack of caring about justice, this is **** that sticks to power, always.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I dont know for a fact that there has been any problem here, all I know is that the feds accused them, and a whole lot of others, at the behest of the feminists.

What "feminists"? It's time to start naming names of specific individuals or groups you refer to by that term... otherwise this is more of your crackpot paranoid delusional nonsense.

The complaints came from students who alleged their reports of sexual misconduct had been mishandled. And the fact that UVA has never expelled any student they found guilty of sexual misconduct, certainly suggests they have problems dealing with such matters.
Quote:
though we do know that there was not a scratch on her, that she refused to go the the hospital to get a rape kit, refused to go the the police, and lied about who if anyone assaulted her

But, according to the friends who spent the night of the alleged attack with her, her behavior and appearance were consistent with a person who had just been through a horrible trauma. You want to discount their eyewitness observations, I don't.

You don't know that she didn't have a scratch on her, or that she wasn't raped, because she didn't have a medical exam. She never made a police report, or named or identified her alleged attackers to police. Meaning this wasn't a maliciously false allegation fabricated to get specific people in trouble-- that doesn't comport with the facts either, and there's just no apparent motive for her to have given RS a false account that could be so easily discredited. I think, and her friends think, something terrible did happen to her that night, it just might not be the version the RS wound up with. And I do think she might be a very emotionally fragile or emotionally disturbed young woman, and I hope, for her sake, that what actually did happen to her that night does come to light, so she can receive whatever help she needs.
Quote:
this article nicely illustrates the truth that women sometimes lie about sexual abuse

No one's ever disputed that, but it's a relatively infrequent occurance. But I'm less concerned when it's what someone tells a magazine reporter than I am when it's something told to the police. This business with Jackie is really about someone making an apparently false or misleading allegation to a magazine reporter--are there any laws against doing that?

But you and BillRM will milk this RS business for all it's worth--it's like raw meat for you two--it helps you deny all the actual rapes that take place on campuses and elsewhere.

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:44 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
But, according to the friends who spent the night of the alleged attack with her, her behavior and appearance were consistent with a person who had just been through a horrible trauma. You want to discount their eyewitness observations, I don't.
I believe their accounts that she was acting like she was a victim, I also think that she was putting on an act. I am no disbelieving the friends

Quote:
You don't know that she didn't have a scratch on her
That is what the friends who were with her all night say, and I believe them

Quote:
And I do think she might be a very emotionally fragile or emotionally disturbed young woman,
disturbed enough to allege a gang rape that never happened

Quote:
for her sake, that what actually did happen to her that night does come to light, so she can receive whatever help she needs.
A criminal charge and some jail time might just be what is best for her

Quote:
No one's ever disputed that, but it's a relatively infrequent occurrence
It all depends upon the definition of relatively rare, because at this point we dont know because science has not gone to find out, though it appears to be somewhere between 2-20% of accusations.

Quote:
This business with Jackie is really about someone making an apparently false or misleading allegation to a magazine reporter--are there any laws against doing that?
no and I am fine with that. I am however not fine with their being no penalties to lying about sexual abuse to the university so long as universities are tasked with administering justice. I believe that she lied to the university, and I think the should be suffering consequences for that lie
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 09:49 pm
Quote:
But to some conservatives and critics of the news media, the Rolling Stone article underscored what they viewed as an overzealous movement to define and prosecute a national “rape culture” problem that is both politically infused and negligent of the rights of the accused.

“Even when you get beyond the shocking story that is now in doubt,” said Rich Lowry, the editor of National Review and a University of Virginia alumnus, “there was this stilted view that this university was run by privileged white male rapists.”

Many conservatives bristle at the concept of a rape culture that permeates the discussion of sexual assault on campuses. “There is no evidence of a rape culture on the American campus,” said Christina Hoff Sommers, a resident scholar at the American Enterprise Institute. “The panic seems to be driven by a toxic combination of 1980s-style conspiracy feminism, along with the often-repeated but misleading ‘one in five women’ factoid,” she said, noting the federal finding that one in five college women have been sexually assaulted.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/09/us/fraternity-and-sorority-groups-call-for-uva-to-lift-ban-on-greek-life.html?_r=0

Firefly's assertion that I am a nutty lone wolf becomes more a joke all of the time. I am not a conservative, I despise them almost as much as I do the liberals, but their skepticism about victim culture is in league with my opinion .
firefly

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:11 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
I am however not fine with their being no penalties to lying about sexual abuse to the university so long as universities are tasked with administering justice. I believe that she lied to the university, and I think the should be suffering consequences for that lie

How do you know she lied to the university? How do you know what she told them--if anything? That's info from the same discredited story in RS. If you're going to discredit part of the RS article, you really have to discredit all of it.

Who says there are no penalties for intentionally and deliberately giving false accounts of sexual abuse to administrators at UVA? Do you actually know that as a fact?

And, prior to the RS article, did UVA ever act on, or investigate anything, based on what this woman alleged?

Quote:
A criminal charge and some jail time might just be what is best for her

For misleading a reporter? Laughing Laughing Laughing

It doesn't seem to bother you that, even when they have adjudicated a student to be guilty of sexual misconduct, UVA has never expelled that student. They've never even punished rapists to the extent of kicking them off their campus. Does that seem like "justice" or even a commitment to campus safety?

But you want someone thrown in jail for misleading a RS reporter--which is all you know she did. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Boy is your sense of values screwed up.

glitterbag

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Of course your confused, you appear to be one of those dudes who engages in violent behaviour because "LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO" still is accepted by law enforcement, because if she sasses you, or spoke to another one of the other deviants who are so easily offended by women with heads stuffed full of ambition/skill/ and the other obviously incorrect idea. Women seem to think they can make their own decisions. The Men's Rights Foundation has not made a good case for women. Possibly because they feel the women would be better off if they got guidance or permission from one of the boys. It's an unnecessary power ploy.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:42 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
And, prior to the RS article, did UVA ever act on, or investigate anything, based on what this woman alleged?

Rez hall official: we have a female student who is spreading the word on campus that she was sexually abused.

University Admin: Has she filed a complaint with us?

RHO: NO

UA: did her rez hall advisor encourage her to report and to get a rape kit done?

RHO: Of course, they followed their training.

UA: Has she filed a police report?

RHO: No

UA: Did she go to the clinic to get a rape kit done?

RHO: No

UA: Who does she say abused her?

RHO: She has not told us, she says that she does not want to say. \.

WTF do you expect the university to do in these cases? Are they supposed to bring in Barney to beg her to do the right thing?

0 Replies

firefly

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 10:50 pm
Quote:
Arrest made in San Diego rape, one of a string near college campus
By Michael Fleeman
Wed Dec 10, 2014

(Reuters) - A San Diego State University student has been arrested in connection with a sexual assault near campus, marking the first arrest in a string of seemingly unrelated reported rapes that have triggered protests over the school's handling of sexual violence, authorities said on Wednesday.

Francisco Paiva Sousa, a 20-year-old sophomore, was arrested on Tuesday for investigation of forced oral copulation and false imprisonment and booked into the San Diego County jail on $100,000 bond, according to the jail's website.

He was arrested after a woman told police she was forced to have oral sex in a bathroom stall in a private house near campus late Saturday night or early Sunday morning, according to campus police.

"The victim identified the suspect and, after an extensive investigation by detectives, police arrested SDSU student Francisco Paiva Sousa," campus police said in a statement.

Sousa was arrested on the same day as the latest protest over the university's response to sexual assault cases. About two dozen students marched, chanting, "Two, four, six, eight, stop the violence, stop the rape," before temporarily taking over the lobby of university President Elliot Hirshman's office.

A statewide audit in June also criticized San Diego State and three other California public universities for poor training and preparation of its staff to deal with sexual assault issues on campus. Training lapses left staff at risk of mishandling reports of sexual harassment and violence, the report said.

The university has received 13 reports of assault this semester, including one in September at the same house where Sousa is accused of assaulting a woman. No arrests have been made in the earlier case there, nor in any of the other incidents reported to the university.

While the fraternity or sorority system has come under fire along with the university, this weekend's assault took place at a private off-campus house.

Fraternities and sororities last month suspended all social activities until their members undergo sexual assault prevention training after members of two fraternities threw eggs and waved sex toys at demonstrators in a Take Back the Night anti-rape march.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/10/us-usa-rape-california-idUSKBN0JO2AQ20141210
hawkeye10

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:11 pm
@firefly,
Losing the argument Firefly paints us yet another rape picture, as if we dont already know what rape is all about.
firefly

Reply Wed 10 Dec, 2014 11:39 pm
Quote:
Senators ask: Why are so few campus rapes reported?
By KIMBERLY HEFLING
AP Education Writer
December 9, 2014

WASHINGTON — It’s estimated that only a fraction of campus sexual assault victims go to police. Senators want to know why.

A Senate Judiciary subcommittee hearing on Tuesday focused on the role of law enforcement in campus sexual assault cases.

“I am concerned that law enforcement is being marginalized when it comes to the crime of campus sexual assault,” said Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse, D-R.I., the subcommittee chairman, in remarks prepared for delivery. “I’m concerned that the specter of flawed law enforcement overshadows the harm of marginalized law enforcement.”

The hearing comes in the wake of a Rolling Stone article describing a gang rape alleged to have occurred in a fraternity house at the University of Virginia. The magazine later acknowledged mistakes in its reporting.

Some sexual assault victims have said they prefer to work within their university system to seek disciplinary action against the perpetrator, such as expulsion, without the stress of pressing criminal charges. But there have been complaints that universities have encouraged victims to not seek criminal action because they want to protect the university’s reputation or that schools aren’t prepared to adequately adjudicate such cases.

Whitehouse said victims are victimized again if they are steered away from law enforcement based on uninformed choices. Whitehouse, a former U.S. attorney and attorney general in his home state, said evidence shows that most men who commit these crimes are serial offenders – and a threat to public safety. He said students have a right to know that delays in opening an investigation and collecting evidence could make the case difficult to prove later.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-N.Y., is co-sponsoring a bill with Sen. Claire McCaskill, D-Mo., that would force colleges to have a memorandum of understanding with their local law enforcement over handling such cases. She said the ultimate goal is that 100 percent of victims report to police. “But, time and again, I have heard from far too many survivors of campus sexual assault that they have felt re-victimized by the process of trying to seek justice for the crime committed against them,” Gillibrand said in prepared remarks.

The legislation is supported by a bipartisan group of senators.

Reports of sexual assault on campus rose 50 percent from 2009 to 2012, Sheldon said, citing federal data. He said the vast majority of offenses go unreported.

Statistics show that one in five women is assaulted during their college years.

The Obama administration has taken steps in the last year to highlight the problem and to pressure universities to better assist victims.

Gillibrand said she’s concerned that the Rolling Stone story may be held up as a reason not to believe survivors when they come forward.

"It has never been about this one school and it is painfully clear that colleges across the country have a real problem with how they are handling, or not handling cases of sexual assault on their campuses,” she said.
http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2014/12/09/3389825/senators-ask-why-are-so-few-campus.html#storylink=cpy
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 11 Dec, 2014 12:19 am
@firefly,
Quote:
Here's the most disturbing journalistic detail to emerge from the Post's reporting: In the Rolling Stone story, Erdely says that she contacted Randall, but he declined to be interviewed, “citing his loyalty to his own frat.” Randall told the Post he was never contacted by Erdely and would have been happy to be interviewed.

That could mean one of two things: Jackie could have given Erdely fake contact information for Randall and then posed as Randall herself, sending the reporter that email in which he supposedly declined to participate in the story. Erdely also could have lied about trying to contact Randall. Rolling Stone might have hinted at this possibility in its “Note to Our Readers” when it referred to a “friend of Jackie’s (who we were told would not speak to Rolling Stone)" but later spoke to the Washington Post. That would take Erdely a big step beyond just being gullible and failing to check her facts, moving this piece in the direction of active wrongdoing.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2014/12/10/rolling_stone_sabrina_rubin_erdely_the_washington_post_inches_closer_to.html

Ya, someone should get to the bottom of this.