1 in 5 women get raped?

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 02:52 pm
@revelette2,
Tell that to the people who make up numbers,

not to the people that are educating us on why those numbers are wrong.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 02:54 pm
@revelette2,
Quote:
It really doesn't matter how many get raped, it matters that the victims get justice for the rape.

It does matter when we are branding a whole generation of young men in mass as rapists unfairly and placing kangaroo courts in place on college campus to deal with a crisis that does not exist,
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 02:58 pm
@BillRM,
Bingo!

"It does matter when we are branding a whole generation of young men in mass as rapists unfairly and placing kangaroo courts in place on college campus to deal with a crisis that does not exist,"

I increased the resolution for you, Bill. We have a lot of bird brains around here.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 03:07 pm
@revelette2,
The "1 in 5" figure is being stated as scientific fact. It is being used as scientific fact in political discussions. to construct policy. If this number really doesn't matter, then it won't hurt to challenge it.

It is not good when politics dictates what is understood as scientific fact.

Of course rape is not a serious problem.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 03:09 pm
@maxdancona,
It's not good that people ALLOW IT.

I'm going to go make a parody thread.

Be right back.
0 Replies

revelette2

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 03:38 pm
@BillRM,
Bull crap
firefly

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 03:48 pm
@BillRM,
Quote:
The too drunk to have consent to sex is indeed a interesting question...

That's also a legal definition of rape...on both the state and federal level..which makes it a perfectly valid question.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 03:51 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
The "1 in 5" figure is being stated as scientific fact. It is being used as scientific fact in political discussions. to construct policy. If this number really doesn't matter, then it won't hurt to challenge it.

1 in 5 what? in this case sexual assault can mean anything from the subject felt uncomfortable during a request for sex to they were attacked in the parking lot having their clothes ripped off by some guy who then stuck his dick into to her for a half hour as he beat her....... so I say we disregard the entire argument along with the given number for being too vague to be meaningful.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 03:51 pm
@revelette2,
Nice argument,

for a kid.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 03:53 pm
@firefly,
I highly doubt this to be true.

Knowing people and their greedy need to hoard their own idiocy with everyone having their own shades of idiocy, I highly doubt you are correct when you allude to the idea that a justice system has an idea ALL AGREED UPON.

IF, what you said was true, we wouldn't be here right now dealing with someone's statistical illiteracy!
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:14 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
Quote:
Re: revelette2 (Post 5797016)
Nice argument,

for a kid.

LOL in a sad way.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

THE PROFESSOR:
Quote:
Today, we’re taking another important step with a focus on our college campuses. It is estimated that 1 in 5 women on college campuses has been sexually assaulted during their time there -- 1 in 5, which includes women who have for whatever reason felt uncomfortable during a sexual advance or had sex requested of them more times than we the elite want them to be asked as well as women who were hit on by guys they did not want to be hit on by. These young women worked so hard just to get into college, often their parents are doing everything they can to help them pay for it. So when they finally make it there only to be assaulted, that is not just a nightmare for them and their families, it’s an affront to everything they’ve worked so hard to achieve. It’s totally unacceptable.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2014/01/22/remarks-president-and-vice-president-event-council-women-and-girls

The Professors allegation is now fixed to mesh with the facts. I think we can all see that there is less here than meets the eye, which I allege is willful deception by the elite, using scary sounding language to massively inflate the charge. This is no difference than when the state lays on 50 different charges for one bad act trying to force a plea deal so that they dont need to go through the hassle of holding a trial, this is bullying by the state and the elites who control it.
BillRM

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:36 pm
@hawkeye10,
It seem that being a practicing heterosexual male on a college campus now days mean you are just one annoy female classmate away from being thrown out of college by way of a Kangaroo court hearing.

Too bad we no longer can have males only universities.
One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:40 pm
@BillRM,
Don't blame the justice system.

Blame the idiocy of your species!
firefly

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:47 pm
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I am a reasonable guy who responds well to a scientific argument.

Then why do you ignore the problematic issues with the NCVS survey pointed out by one of the leading scientific communities, which has advocated that the types of descriptive questions employed by the CDC also be used by the NCVS?

Real scientists are concerned that the NCVS methodology results in underreporting of sexual assaults, including rape.
http://www.nationalacademies.org/includes/nwsltrhd.gif
Quote:
Date: Nov. 19, 2013

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

National Crime Victimization Survey Is Likely Undercounting Rape and Sexual Assault; Justice Department Should Create New, Separate Survey

WASHINGTON – One of the nation’s largest surveys of crime victims is likely undercounting incidences of rape and sexual assault, making it difficult to ensure that adequate law enforcement resources and support services are available for victims, says a new report by the National Research Council. To obtain more accurate data, the U.S. Department of Justice’s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS) should establish a separate survey for measuring rape and sexual assault.

“Victims of rape and sexual assault sustain devastating injuries, which often extend beyond the initial incident and potentially lead to health- and work-related issues,” said Candace Kruttschnitt, co-chair of the panel that wrote the report and professor of sociology at the University of Toronto. “Understanding the context and frequency with which these crimes occur is essential for informed public health policymaking, providing support to victims, and helping to curtail future attacks.”

"To more accurately measure when and how these victimizations occur, we recommend a separate survey that is focused on these specific crimes within a public health context and targets those most at risk for sexual violence,” added William Kalsbeek, who also co-chaired the panel and is a professor of biostatistics at the University of North Carolina.

The National Crime Victimization Survey (NCVS) is conducted on an ongoing basis to obtain information on a broad set of crimes from the victims rather than the police. It is conducted for BJS by the U.S. Census Bureau, which selects households to survey through the same infrastructure built for the decennial census. Each household address remains in the sample for three years, with interviews every six months.

The NCVS is widely considered the best source of information for many kinds of criminal victimizations. However, the survey presents unique challenges for measuring low-frequency incidents, such as rape and sexual assault, which accounted for 1 percent or 217,331 of the criminal victimizations identified through the NCVS in 2011. Over the years, several other surveys, including the National Women’s Study, the National College Women Sexual Victimization Study, and the National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Study, have measured higher rates of rape and sexual assault than the NCVS. Even though these surveys have substantial differences -- the populations they target, their definitions of rape, and their data collection methodologies and timing -- the panel concluded that the NCVS was likely undercounting incidences of rape and sexual assault because of how the omnibus survey is designed and administered.

The report says lack of privacy may be a major reason for underreporting rape and sexual assault in the NCVS, which relies on oral interviews conducted within a household by an interviewer. Because most rapes and sexual assaults are committed by individuals whom the victim knows, respondents may be reluctant to disclose their victimization during an interview that takes place in the home within earshot of other family members. The training for NCVS interviewers does not stress privacy, and even if adequate training were provided, the nature of the survey -- a general-purpose criminal victimization survey -- means that interviewers very rarely get positive responses on questions of rape and sexual assault.

The new survey recommended by the panel should be administered in a neutral context, such as a survey of health and well-being, instead of within the criminal context of the current NCVS. Framing questions about rape and sexual assault within the confines of crime can limit responses. For example, a respondent may believe that because the police weren’t contacted about an incident, it should not be reported on a government crime survey. A victim may also understand that an act was criminal but not want to report it on the survey for fear of reprisal. The new survey should continue to measure rape and sexual assault as “point-in-time” events with sufficient detail about the events so that they can later be coded as criminal events or not.

Survey questions should be worded to describe specific actions rather than the more ambiguous term “rape,” which is not defined uniformly by the FBI, states, or jurisdictions. Survey respondents may interpret the word differently and not realize that what they experienced (for example, being forced by a companion to have sex while being too intoxicated to resist) might fit the definition of rape. By responding to questions that simply ask whether specific actions have occurred, victims may be better able to express their victimizations without interpreting whether those incidents should be defined as rape or sexual assault.

The new survey should also focus more attention on “at risk” subpopulations that have a higher likelihood of being victims of rape and sexual assault. This approach can improve the overall precision of the estimates, both at the national level and for important demographic subpopulations defined by age, race, and socio-economic variations. More precise estimates would allow for more informed policymaking and better allocation of resources to prevent crime and support victims, the report says.

The study was sponsored by the Bureau of Justice Statistics of the U.S. Department of Justice. The National Research Council is the principal operating arm of the National Academy of Sciences and the National Academy of Engineering. Together with the Institute of Medicine, these private, nonprofit institutions provide science, technology, and health policy advice under a congressional charter granted to NAS in 1863. For more information, visit http://national-academies.org. A panel roster follows.

Contacts:

Rachel Brody, Media Relations Associate

Office of News and Public Information

202-334-2138; e-mail [email protected]

http://national-academies.com/newsroom

Twitter: @NAS_news and @NASciences

RSS feed: http://www.nationalacademies.org/rss/index.html

Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/nationalacademyofsciences/sets

Additional Resources:

Full Report
Report in brief

Pre-publication copies of Estimating the Incidence of Rape and Sexual Assault are available from the National Academies Press at http://www.nap.edu or by calling tel. 202-334-3313 or 1-800-624-6242. Reporters may obtain a copy from the Office of News and Public Information (contacts listed above).

NATIONAL RESEARCH COUNCIL

Division of Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education

Committee on National Statistics

Panel on Measuring Rape and Sexual Assault in Bureau of Justice Statistics Household Surveys

Candace Kruttschnitt (co-chair)
Professor
Department of Sociology
University of Toronto
Toronto

William D. Kalsbeek (co-chair)
Professor of Biostatistics, and
Former Director
Survey Research Unit
Department of Biostatistics
University of North Carolina
Chapel Hill

Paul P. Biemer
Distinguished Fellow in Statistics
RTI International, and
Associate Director for Survey Research
Odum Institute for Research in Social Sciences
University of North Carolina
Chapel HIll

John Boyle
Senior Vice President
ICF International
Rockville, Md.

Bonnie Fisher
Professor
School of Criminal Justice
Research Fellow
Center for Justice Research
University of Cincinnati
Cincinnati

Karen Heimer
Professor
Department of Sociology
University of Iowa
Iowa City

Linda Ledray
Founder and Director
SANE-SART Resource Service
Minneapolis

Colin Loftin
Professor, and
Co-Director
Violence Research Group
School of Criminal Justice
University at Albany
State University of New York
Albany

Ruth D. Peterson
Emeritus Professor
Department of Sociology
Ohio State University
Columbus

Nora Cate Schaeffer
Sewell Bascom Professor of Sociology
Department of Sociology
Center for Demography and Ecology
University of Wisconsin
Madison

Tom W. Smith
Survey Methodologist
National Opinion Research Center
University of Chicago
Chicago

Bruce D. Spencer
Professor
Department of Statistics
Institute for Policy Research
Northwestern University
Evanston, Ill.

http://www8.nationalacademies.org/onpinews/newsitem.aspx?RecordID=18605

It is ludicrous that people like you, and BillRM, think you know more than that distinguished panel when it comes to constructing and evaluating surveys to measure and estimate the prevalence of sexual assault and rape.

The scientific community is clearly concerned that the problem of sexual and rape is being underreported by the NCVS, and they are not engaging in the nonsensical arguments that you put forth--they seek the most accurate data collection possible, and they do not find that in the NCVS, which is why they have put forward their proposal.

One Eyed Mind

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:51 pm
@firefly,
FF, stop being an idiot.

The media is built to LIE, not tell us the TRUTH.

You listening to a serpent's tongue makes you evil.

Do you like being evil? I must admit, evil girls are sexier than good girls, but again, good girls shaping the world is much more sexier than an evil girl that spreads lies and misinformation because they don't care about ACTUAL IDEAS, they just care about BEING RIGHT BEING ON TOP. I prefer my women who like switching between the roles of dominance and submission.

IF you were honest, you wouldn't be saying things like "the justice system covered the term sexual assault because I said so", even though you're saying something that is also saying "wait, the justice system agreed on one thing after 400,000 years of ancient forms of justice of disagreeing for the sake of disagreeing!?" and you wouldn't be throwing around a statistic that is connected to ZILCH.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:56 pm
@BillRM,
In 2012 in 4 year universities there were 4,669,197 males and 5,899,261 females.
http://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d13/tables/dt13_303.70.asp

The absence of males is a pretty taboo subject, because it goes against the story line put out by the elite that the females are victims. The true situation is even worse than these numbers indicate, because universities almost universally bring males in who are below the desired standard in order to get the gender diversity on campus that is wanted. The problem is that these males who never should have been on campus usually fail out, never getting a degree.

Just for kicks try to find out the gender mix of bachelor degree graduates in America. This is very difficult information to get hold of, because the fact that so few men graduate is even more taboo than the fact that so few men are college ready or get accepted .

The push by the elite to empower women even more over men at university, even stripping men out of our Constitutional rights, will make the problem of men underperforming women even worse. The elite are one day going to find out that shutting out men, blaming men for ills or imagined ills that men did not create and using this storyline as an excuse to bully and disempower men never works out too well in the long run. Men with nothing to do and nothing to lose tend to explode, burning down everything around them.
maxdancona

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 04:58 pm
@firefly,
Quote:
Then why do you ignore the problematic issues with the NCVS survey pointed out by one of the leading scientific communities, which has advocated that the types of descriptive questions employed by the CDC also be used by the NCVS?

I have never presented the NCVS study as truth, nor have I denied the fact that it is possible the NCVS undercounts rape.

I am not unreasonable.

Both of these studies have valid criticisms against them. Either of them could be wrong. The number of actual rapes (by whatever number we calculate them) could easily be somewhere in between these two studies. The honest answer is, I don't know and neither do you.

I haven't seen a study that gives any definitive number of the number of women who are raped. This is why I don't state a definitive number of women who are raped. I suspect that it is lower than "1 in 5", but I freely admit that this is my opinion. Since there is no study that I consider valid that gives a definitive number, I have to say I don't know.

My objection is to people are pushing a definitive answer for the number of women who are raped and pretending there is valid science behind it. To this, they are ignoring the flaws in the clearly politically motivated CDC study (while fixating on the flaws of any contradictory study).

The real answer is that no one knows, with any certainty, whether "1 in 5 women" are actually raped in their lifetimes. This is a political number, not a scientific one.

I object when politics is disguised as science. When this happens it is bad for science and bad for policy.

firefly

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 05:13 pm
@hawkeye10,
From the results of the CDC study engineer previously cited...
Quote:
Nearly 1 in 5 women (18.3%) and 1 in 71 men (1.4%) in the United States have been raped at some time in their lives, including completed forced penetration, attempted forced penetration, or alcohol/drug facilitated completed penetration.

Quote:
blaming men for ills or imagined ills that men did not create...

Are you trying to imply that the great majority of those rapes were not committed by men?
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2014 05:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
Just for kicks try to find out the gender mix of bachelor degree graduates in America. This is very difficult information to get hold of, because the fact that so few men graduate is even more taboo than the fact that so few men are college ready or get accepted .

Another way to get this is to look at university retention rates by gender. I have not been able to find USA numbers, and even those universities that come forward with retention information tend to not tell us how retention work by gender, all they want to talk about is retention by race. Once piece of this subject is PC and hip to talk about, another is so taboo that the information is almost impossible or actually impossible to find out ( I will let you know if I can locate it).
0 Replies