Cigarettes don't kill people, people kill people

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:08 pm
L.R.R.Hood wrote:
Wow, some rediculous statements I'm reading...

Then stop writing them.

Quote:
Second hand smoke IS harmful. I posted before that a woman died of lung cancer... but her husband was the smoker.

So?

Second hand smoke is harmful but your anecdote is not the reason why.

Let me explain why such attempts at anecdotal evidence are insipid.

"I know a guy who smokes and his wife is the healthiest person I know."

Quote:
I don't like smoke, but I never ask people to quit... I think, and this is harsh, that the world's population could use a little pruning Smile I sometimes ask if I can have their parking space when they die... but only if they have a sense of humor about it.

There's an element of truth to every joke. And in this case it's that you take your self-righteousness to a level at which you classify a demographic as worthy of extinction.

That is a revealing glimpse into a pathetic mindset.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:15 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
I don't smoke because of addiction. I smoke because I choose to.

Shocked Really Craven? You are one of the brightest fellows I've met in cyberspace. So, if there is no addiction, why do you choose to smoke? When you weigh the Pros and Cons, what exactly are the Pros? Confused
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:19 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
I quoted Kicky earlier because I thought his comparison was hilarious. I doubt that he was serious.

Bill, you're right. It's just too much fun baiting the non-smokers. :wink:

I really do believe that the fear over second-hand smoke has been blown way out of all sensible proportion though, to the point where it is almost pure propaganda, especially as it relates to the smoking ban in bars. It's kind of like that whole "imminent threat" stuff that Bush and Cheney were talking about in Iraq. :wink:
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:32 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
I don't smoke because of addiction. I smoke because I choose to.

Shocked Really Craven? You are one of the brightest fellows I've met in cyberspace. So, if there is no addiction, why do you choose to smoke? When you weigh the Pros and Cons, what exactly are the Pros? Confused

I never said there was no addiction, I said I don't smoke because of addiction. For me, addictions of all varieties are very easy to break (cept for food, oxygen and water and such).

When I weigh the pros and cons my pros far outweigh the cons. This is, of course, based on subjective values associated with each.

For example, I don't think it valuable in the least to meet with the self-righteous busybody non-smoker's esteem. Others might.

Ultimately it comes down to a simple value judgement.

I would rather have the pleasure that comes from smoking than the longevity and health I might achieve without smoking.

This is a concious choice and is a no-brainer for me. It is my body, and this is why the busybodies who think they are qualified to comment seem so pathetic to me.

NOTE: people who voice an opinion that smoking is bad/stupid/unhealthy don't bother me as that does not contain the next leap which is to decide that I should act in accord with their opinions.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:50 pm
Laughing Being a pot for 20 years now, I don't make a habit of calling kettles black... but you are in denial. Unless you are just an occasional smoker like Monger, no one with an IQ over 80 would choose to smoke, if not for the addiction. Face it dude, you, too, are an addict. Boy I hate being a hypocrite (I've got one burning right now), but if it really is simple for you to put them down, do it. It doesn't get easier as time goes by.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 01:55 pm
Anyone who is smart will share a subjective value-laden judgement?

Ok, let's try it: why should I quit?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:04 pm
As if you don't know. IMHO, every Pro you could name is either wholly imagined, psychosomatic, or just plain BS. I too have a short list of reasons I keep doing it, yet know full well that everyone of them would dissipate in a relatively short period of time after quitting. The Cons are real. The Pros are not. Period.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:14 pm
How is pleasure unreal? If I value the pleasure over the health then, no, I don't see the reason to quit.

Not everyone will share the same values.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:21 pm
Yup, that's what I used to think when I chose to smoke. Now I wish I had quit when it was still easy. I guess I'm the pussy BPB referred to earlier. Party on Craven.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:23 pm
Do you want to quit?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:35 pm
Yes, I'm just about there. At 36 it's about time I face this weakness, before it really does start affecting my health. I haven't quite got my head around it yet, but once I do, I'm sure I'll be successful. It's just so much easier to delay the suffering.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:41 pm
I know exactly what you're saying Bill. I'm right there too.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:43 pm
Me, too, dammit.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 02:44 pm
It seems I must also confront my problem with commas.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:22 pm
I think the key is to find something better to do with my fingers and mouth. he he he
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:26 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
doglover wrote:
Well, I may get beat up for saying this, but I feel strongly that smoking should not be allowed in cars...especially a car with kids under the age of 18.

<takes doglover out back, beats her up>

Don't beat me up....just give me a good spanking. :wink:
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:28 pm
Thumb-sucking is good.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:29 pm
kickycan wrote:
I think the key is to find something better to do with my fingers and mouth. he he he

Me too kicky. Smoking is such an unheathful way to achieve oral gratification...LOL I can think of better ways to satisfy that urge. Embarrassed
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 03:32 pm
dlowan wrote:
Thumb-sucking is good.

Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 30 May, 2004 04:10 pm
I also have a brother with Craven's attitude. He says, "If I don't smoke I may live longer, but I won't be happy. Better a short, happy life smoking."
0 Replies