Long distance relationship

Reply Fri 10 Oct, 2014 01:38 pm
First off I wanted to say my relationship started online it's been going on for about 9 months. I love this girl I really do but recently we have been having some major issues and I really don't have people to talk them through with. At the start of our relationship it was just alike all the others we spent allot of time together even if it was online. I might add we have seen each other in real life twice she came to visit for 2 weeks and I went there for a week about three months later. We are young that's no lie I'm 20 and she is 19 . Anyway our problems begin mostly because she always wants to go out with her guy friend, now don't get me wrong he is gay so not that big of a deal for me. The problem part is he is one of those people who do drugs and drink and just seem to get into trouble but she constantly fights with me saying "I talk to you every night and I don't spend enough time with him" it honestly upsets me. We have made plans for our future as far as us being together. I'm not sure what bothers me he most I'm currently A paramedic student and i'm at the part of my class were I have to do something every day wither it's in the classroom or riding the ambulance for clinical s. The only day's my GF has off is Wednesday and Saturdays from work. From the beggining I asked her if we could have Saturdays for ourselves and she agreed. Here recently actually for the last few months she has wanted to go out most Saturdays. Her excuse is that's her only day both of them have off together. It was really upsetting and I never thought it was too much to ask to have A single day for us. She claims i'm "controlling" but in reality I'm just worried for her because of how he is. I'm not sure what i'm looking for here but I just wanted to see what other people think
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 635 • Replies: 1
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sat 11 Oct, 2014 04:18 am
@matt1141,
What does a 'day to yourselves' look like when it's long distance? Is it a fourteen-hour text and phone call session?

Since it isn't, there is time out for both of you, yes? She spends her not with you time with another guy, but there is no sexual interest there. However, there is a different concern, that she is spending time with someone who seems to be a bit self-destructive.

Understand that your own feelings are wrapped up in this. Saying on one hand that you are concerned for her, and on another that you want her to yourself, at your beck and call, on every single Saturday, results in a helluva mixed message.

You might want to consider that the talk about being concerned about the company she keeps is really just window dressing and a cover for the real desire you have, which is for her to be available on tap to you on Saturdays. You might have some jealousy, too, or at least envy. Envy that she's going out for a good time every weekend and you aren't. And maybe some jealousy that her gay friend likely knows any number of straight men.

Long distance relationships are stinky for a lot of reasons, and this is one of them: differing expectations.

Time for you two to have a talk about what you really expect out of what's going on, where you see yourselves, etc.
0 Replies