2004 Elections: Democratic Party Contenders

timberlandko

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:15 pm
Sure I would.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:36 pm
It is clear to me that Mr. Nimh doesn't know very much about re-districting.

Professor Jeffrey Jenkins, a political science professor and a fellow the the Institute for Policy Research has written the following about re-districting. It is not new. I has been done many many times.

quote:

"the decision to redistrict immediately after a change in partisan control of a state election harks back to an oft employed strategy from the late 1800's. University of North Carolina political scientist Erik Engstrom tells us, there was not a single year between 1872 and 1996 in which at least one state did not redistrict.

(De Lay's) tactical approach is strictly derivative, simply borrowing a page from a more-then-century-old partisan playbook.

And what of the recall election in California? As it happens, the recall procedure was a Progressive Era reform instituted in the early part of the 20th century to serve as a check on extreme partisanship. The chief concern of the time was the excessive control of the political process by party bosses leading California and most other states to establish rules for recalling governors and other statewide officials....

I am sorry that Mr. Nimh is not aware of this basic history. Perhaps no US History books are available in the Netherlands!
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:41 pm
its clear to me that history repeats itself and historians repeat each other, its also clear to me that anyone that claims to have greater understanding than another usually has less.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:45 pm
Lola says that there is an attempt to establish a theocracy here and it is almost complete.

I am very much afraid that Lola is confusing Pyschanalysis with Poltical Science.

A theocracy is, of course, a form of government in which God or a deity is recognized as the Supreme CIVIL ruler.

I hope that Lola knows that Article I clearly states that
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

I am not aware of any legislation being offered to repeal that section of the US Constitution.

It may be that Lola, as usual, is descending into her usual unsourced hyperbole.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:48 pm
yes, dys, history repeating itself..........and repeating........and repeating..........and repeating.....

Timber, I'll send it tomorrow. Good night all. Beddy bye time.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:48 pm
I am also aware that our president thinks god talks to him.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:55 pm
Yes........ I'm sure Dys, that it's all hyperbole........you know that God of ours........he's a real jazzed up repetitous hyperbole singer.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:57 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I am also aware that our president thinks god talks to him.

Usually when patients told me God spoke to them it tended to mean they weren't taking their risperidol!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 10:59 pm
my we're all up late.......I drank too much wine, what excuse do the rest of you have?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2003 11:00 pm
Its only 11:00 here, and I'm off to snooze land once I finish typing this.
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 02:14 am
Is it true that Nader is going to run as a Democrat this time. He just announced that he will run.

I don't think Al Gore likes Ralph Nader. I wonder why!!
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 06:57 am
I think it prudent to politely refuse invitations for a late night rap with God. Woody makes the point here...
Quote:
[And Abraham awoke in the middle of the night and said to his only son, Isaac, "I have had a dream where the voice of the Lord sayeth that I must sacrifice my only son, so put your pants on." And Isaac trembled and said, "So what did you say? I mean when He brought this whole thing up?"

"What am I going to say?" Abraham said. "I'm standing there at two A.M. I'm in my underwear with the Creator of the Universe. Should I argue?"

"Well, did he say why he wants me sacrificed?" Isaac asked his father.

But Abraham said, "The faithful do not question. Now let's go because I have a heavy day tomorrow."

And Sarah who heard Abraham's plan grew vexed and said, "How doth thou know it was the Lord and not, say, thy friend who loveth practical jokes, for the Lord hateth practical jokes and whosoever shall pull one shall be delivered into the hands of his enemies whether they pay the delivery charge or not." And Abraham answered, "Because I know it was the Lord. It was a deep, resonant voice, well modulated, and nobody in the desert can get a rumble in it like that."

And Sarah said, "And thou art willing to carry out this senseless act?" But Abraham told her, "Frankly yes, for to question the Lord's word is one of the worst things a person can do, particularly with the economy in the state it's in."

And so he took Isaac to a certain place and prepared to sacrifice him but at the last minute the Lord stayed Abraham's hand and said, "How could thou doest such a thing?"

And Abraham said, "But thou said ---"

"Never mind what I said," the Lord spake. "Doth thou listen to every crazy idea that comes thy way?" And Abraham grew ashamed. "Er - not really … no."

"I jokingly suggest thou sacrifice Isaac and thou immediately runs out to do it."

And Abraham fell to his knees, "See, I never know when you're kidding."

And the Lord thundered, "No sense of humor. I can't believe it."

"But doth this not prove I love thee, that I was willing to donate mine only son on thy whim?"

And the Lord said, "It proves that some men will follow any order no matter how asinine as long as it comes from a resonant, well-modulated voice."

And with that, the Lord bid Abraham get some rest and check with him tomorrow.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:10 am
The next time you're in a big chainstore, or on an auto-dealer's lot, anywhere they have those "Hear them everywhere PA systems", wait untill you hear an announcement or two. Then, look around franticlally, apparently panic stricken, then clasp your hands over your ears, drop to your knees, and plaintively wail "The voices! The Voices! Why won't they just leave me alone?"

Great fun.
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:13 am
If only the fundamentalist god were so benign and sensible......

clearly Woody Allen's god is a smartelic, intelligent, American Jewish God (if a little neurotic). Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 07:30 pm
timber

Also great fun at the checkout to bend down and peer closely into the scanner, then grab eyes, scream, and roll on floor still screaming.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:45 pm
blatham wrote:
timber

Also great fun at the checkout to bend down and peer closely into the scanner, then grab eyes, scream, and roll on floor still screaming.

Took care of a patient in Seattle at the QFC on Broadway who did pulled that. Ended up getting subpoenaed two years later to give a deposition. She was suing QFC for "damaging her eyesight." My understanding is that those scanners can't hurt your eyesight. Makes me want to pound something!
0 Replies

Ethel2

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:52 pm
And these guys are trying to pretend that when they act that way they are only pretending.......not delusional at all, no....not them.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:55 pm
ahem, pretense of forethought is not delusional, it's manipulative Cool
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 08:57 pm
hobit

You've met my sister! We've taken to earning our crust through this method, after purchasing the franchise for the Pacific Northwest. We looked at a few different possibilities when The Magnificent Rolling Franchise Tour came to town and chose this one over the tempting Budget Lazer-Surg - three days of training and you become certified in correcting the patient's corneal imperfections using the sun and a magnifying glass.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 29 Sep, 2003 09:02 pm
blatham, FYI, there's a method of burning skin in the Japanese culture used as a form of medicine.
0 Replies