the day in the history

Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 10:51 am
@Letty,
Yeah, but Rommel kissed Hitler ass in the beginning when he thought it would advance his career.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 12:30 pm
@Setanta,
Didn't intend to provoke you, set; just commenting about the day in history. Gotta admire your emotional rebuttal of my comment, tho.
G'day Wink
Setanta

Reply Fri 11 Nov, 2011 02:16 pm
@neko nomad,
Emotional is in the eye of the beholder. Of course, it's much easier to call me emotional, and suggest that my response is unreasonable than it is to admit that your post implies some goofy conspiracy. Good day indeed.
neko nomad

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 06:01 am
@Setanta,
Aw, set; You're overreacting. Tell ya what, I'm selecting this number on the jukebox- one that'll soothe yer soul. Think Flanders fields as you listen.

G'day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 07:35 am
No, i'm not overreacting, although i can see why it would gratify your vanity to believe you are that important. I'm just taking a minute or two to type here--this is not important, and you're nothing to me.
neko nomad

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:19 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
you're nothing to me

Sweet relief! You had me worried those past couple of posts.
G'day.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 12 Nov, 2011 08:26 pm
Ain't you a hoot . . . good day to you too, silly boy.
neko nomad

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 12:09 pm
@Setanta,
Now if you'd just use the forum's feature and auto-ignore my
posts, you'd be doing the both of us a favor. Just a helpful
suggestion, if you may.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Nov, 2011 01:29 pm
If i want to ignore someone, i don't need electronic help. As i said, you're a hoot. I like having you around for the comic relief.
0 Replies

neko nomad

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2012 11:14 am
On June 18, 1953,a C-124 Globemaster transport plane crashed minutes after takeoff.
I believe no one survived. It was to be a return trip from R and R in Tokyo.

Three years later I and about forty others came close to a similar fate returning from R and R aboard a Fairchild C-119 which lost an engine - - mercifully the pilot got us down safely at an American base near Osaka where they replaced the engine.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 6 Aug, 2012 08:31 pm
August 6

1945 -- united States drops an atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan, resulting in an estimated 140,000 deaths.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 8 Aug, 2012 07:57 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
August 8

1942 -- Six Nazi saboteurs, captured after landing in the US from a U-boat, are executed as spies in Washington, D.C. Two tohers, who had cooperated with the authorities, are spared.

1963 -- Britain's "Great Train Robbery" nets thieves 2.6 million pounds in banknotes.

1974 -- President Richard M. Nixon announces his resignation, effective the next day, in the wake of more and more damaging revelations about his involvement in the Watergate scandal.

1994 -- Israel and Jordan open the first road link between the two formerly warring countries.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:26 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
August 9

1945 --Just three days after dropping an A-bomb on Hiroshima, the United States exploded a "nuclear device" over Nagasaki, killing an estimated 74,000 people.

1969 -- Five people, including actress Sharon Tate, were found brutally slain in Tate's home in Los Angeles. Cult leader Charles Manson and a group of his followers were later convicted of the murders.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 9 Aug, 2012 02:44 pm
1593 Izaak Walton, authour of The Compleat Angler born in Stafford.

1941 Douglas Bader shot down by the Germans who were surprised to discover he had two false legs.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Fri 10 Aug, 2012 03:15 pm
August 10

1962 -- Spiderman's birthday!!! Superhero Spiderman makes his debut in Issue 15 of Amazing Fantasy comic book. (Cover price: 12 cents U.S. !)

1969 -- Leno and Rosemary LaBianca mudered in their home in Los Angeles by members of Charles Manson's cult, one day after the killing of actress Sharon Tate and four other people by the same cult.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Sat 11 Aug, 2012 07:02 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
August 11

I don't know who figured this out -- or how -- but, according to the Associated Press, on this date in

3144 b.c.e. the current cycle of the Mayan "Long Count" calendar began. (According to some, the cycle will end on Dec. 21 of this year. This has been misinterpreted bysome to mean the end of the world as we know it. All it is supposed to mean is that on Dec. 21, 2012 c.e. a new Mayan cycle is to begin. For all we know, it will be an exact carbon copy of this previous era.)
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 13 Aug, 2012 02:21 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
August 13

1942 -- Walt Disney's animated feature film Bambi had its U.S. premiere at Radio City Music Hall, NYC, five days after its world premiere in London.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 14 Aug, 2012 02:36 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
August 14

1908 -- a race riot in Springfield, Ill. erupted when a white mob began setting fire to black-owned homes and businesses. At least two blacks and five whites were killed.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Wed 15 Aug, 2012 04:01 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
August 15

1057 -- The day that Birnam Wood comes to Dunsinane. King Macbeth of the Scots is killed in battle by Malcolm, eldest son of King Duncan, whom Macbeth had slain to gain the throne.

1484 -- Sistine Chapel consecrated by Pope Sixtus IV.

1769 -- Napoleon Bonaparte born on Corsica.

1914 -- Panama Canal opens to traffic.

1969 -- Birth of the 'Woodstock Generation.' The Woodstock Music and Arts Fair opens in upstate New York. And if you remember it, then you weren't there.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 16 Aug, 2012 02:47 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
August 16

Today is obituary day

1920 -- Ray Chapman of the Cleveland Indians was hit in the head by a pitch thrown by Carl Mays of the NY Yankees. He died the following morning.

1948 -- Babe Ruth died in New York at age 53.

1977-- Elvis Presley died at age 42 at his home, Graceland, in Memphis, Tenn.