Asexuality-a new orientation or made up/denial/weirdoes?

Myst

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 02:02 am
I found this site, and have heard about this before vaguely.These people claim to be asexual in one way or another. They say that that means they are not sexually attracted to either gender.
I am not sure what to think, especially since someone I know is now claiming this too.

Edit (Moderator): Link removed

That's the link to the site. I see all these warnings against spamming and linking to sites that I want people to know that isn't my site and that's just they only way I can direct people to it.

I find you message board intersting, just so you know, and people seem intelligent enough so that I can ask this question
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,544 • Replies: 49
No top replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 08:50 am
Maybe they are highly evolved. Maybe they are aliens. Or very very repressed.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:16 am
Sex is pervasive in our culture. Must be hard for them to maintain their sanity.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:17 am
Panzade, I've been meaning to ask you: Where is your signature from? It reminds me of the Monks of New Skete.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:25 am
That is just . . . I don't know what that is!
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:45 am
Oh? I'd be interested in discussing the Monks of New Skete...over a bully-like bottle of Lambrusco.
Seee kicky, that's how it's done...none of that enter enter enter.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:50 am
I'm not so sure that low sex drive in people can necessarily be called "asexuality." That sounds to me like "hey, let's invent another meaningless buzzword."
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:56 am
Or maybe they're too caught up in stressful or time-consuming things and end up with a suppressed libido.

The Monks of New Skete are more about NOT letting the puppy make demands.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:57 am
Panzade, what's wrong with "enter, enter, enter." I enjoy entry, don't you? :wink:
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:58 am
Cinn, on an arguably serious note. You will hardly believe this but I rephrased Farmermans signature line one day in a fit of pique. It looked so sage I just left it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 09:58 am
The quicker the entry, the quicker the exit.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:01 am
What was Farmerman's signature?

Entry is good. How can anyone argue with that?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:04 am
"Entry is good. How can anyone argue with that?"

True, but kicky is all weirdly obsessed with it, as if sex has no other highs.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:08 am
Well, then, should we arrange a lineup of women? Bang bang bang bang.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:15 am
Ahhh, you're referring to Kicky having graduated from the Wham Bam Thank You Ma'm Academy
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:16 am
It's all in the anticipation lad
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 25 May, 2004 10:16 am
Yes, apparently he passed the exam with flying colours, so to speak.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 11:15 am
Back to the topic, folks.

Of course asexuality exists. In all other areas of living we accept that some people are highly endowed or fanatical or extremely motivated and other people are not. Why should sex be any different.

Literature is full of bachelors and spinsters--and by no means are they all embittered and frustrated people. There are any number of grey flannel suit typs divorced every year because they choose to put their energy into their jobs rather than in their marriages. Sex is more important to some people than to others. I have more trouble accepting "sexual addiction" as a social problem than asexuality.

Why are people threatened by asexuality? Do they think it might be catching? Live and let live.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 11:23 am
Noddy24 wrote:
Back to the topic, folks.

Of course asexuality exists. In all other areas of living we accept that some people are highly endowed or fanatical or extremely motivated and other people are not. Why should sex be any different.

Literature is full of bachelors and spinsters--and by no means are they all embittered and frustrated people. There are any number of grey flannel suit typs divorced every year because they choose to put their energy into their jobs rather than in their marriages. Sex is more important to some people than to others. I have more trouble accepting "sexual addiction" as a social problem than asexuality.

Why are people threatened by asexuality? Do they think it might be catching? Live and let live.

I'm not threatened by it at all. I just question the terminology as it is extremely vague and all-encompassing. Low sex drive can be a totally natural thing, or it could be related to other problems. To lump all people who lack interest in sex into one group just seems silly to me.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 12:22 pm
cav--

If people choose to regard themselves as asexual--for whatever reason--where's the harm?
0 Replies