A bizarre new kids' sex craze sweeping the city's schools

au1929

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:54 pm
This article appeared in todays NY Post

KIDS' CUFF KINK

By MARIANNE GARVEY and CARL CAMPANILE

May 23, 2004 -- A bizarre new kids' sex craze is sweeping the city's elementary schools. Girls as young as 11 are stacking colorful rubber "sex bracelets" up their arms while their parents are unaware that each piece of the cheap jewelry represents a different sex act, according to a secret-code the kids share. Some symbolize an invitation to kinky get-togethers, several kids told The Post. The kids play a game called "Snap" associated with wearing the bracelets. In the game, girls wear the bracelets around their wrists, and if a boy runs up and rips one off, he gets a "coupon" from the girl to perform whatever sex act the color stands for. A black bracelet indicates sexual intercourse, blue is oral sex, red is a lap dance or French kiss and white is a homosexual kiss - and it gets more in depth. Green represents having sex outside. Some of the bracelets stand for specific sexual positions, and there's even a light-green glow-in-the-dark version that means "using sex toysMegan Stecher, 11, a fifth-grader who sells the $1 bracelets to her classmates at Holy Child Jesus School in Richmond Hill, Queens, for $1.25 said her teachers are not aware of what they symbolize. "No one wants to tell them, either," Megan said. "Everyone collects and wears all the colors to school, and all the kids know exactly what every color stands for." "One person tells someone, and they tell someone else, and that's how it spread," Megan said. "I heard about it in the neighborhood." Megan's mother, Michelle Stecher, 33, originally thought it was an innocent fashion fad. "I thought it was an outrageous Britney Spears phase, like Madonna used to do in the '80s with the black rubber bracelets," she said. "But when I found out, I was outraged. I sent her to Catholic school to avoid things like this. "I thought this could never, ever happen there." Arial Martinez, Megan's best friend, also 11, said the bracelets became so widely known around her Bronx school, PS 60 in Woodlawn, that the teachers and principal banned the students from wearing them to class. She said the teachers found out what they symbolize "because everyone was wearing them and talking about them all the time." Arial said that as her friends find more colors, they try to describe new sex acts. "I found out from kids on my block, and the word just spread fast," she said. "But I don't think it's right for young kids." The neighborhood kids are buying the bracelets for a dollar a dozen at local 99 cent stores and beauty shops. Many retailers are oblivious as to why they're selling the bracelets by the boatload. "Last week, I had to order extras, so many kids were coming in for them," said Ming Zhang, who works at Aina Gift Shop on Jamaica Avenue. "I don't know why." Although Megan says that neither she nor any friends of hers are actually having sex, she is savvy to all the graphic sex terms and the corresponding colors. Megan's mom wonders where this all started and how the kids got so educated about sex. "I'm just wondering who started this whole thing and how it reached Megan in her Catholic school," Michelle Stecher said. "I mean, I told her about the birds and the bees, but this is too much. "I want the school to know what's going on with the kids and put a stop to it."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,046 • Replies: 46
No top replies

cavfancier

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 03:58 pm
I love how the parents never thought this could happen at a Catholic school. Catholic schoolgirls are the dirtiest nastiest ones out there. I'm guessing it has something to do with sexual repression being forced down their throats from their first day on earth.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:01 pm
A bit over thirty years ago, the Catholic high school in my hometown was the first school (in town) to have a full drug raid. Yup, Catholic schools are where you want to send your kids. My parents couldn't understand why I didn't want to go there - errrrrrr, I didn't want to have to tell them that's where all the nasty stuff was going on.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:03 pm
I doubt if its a true story,but I found a column about on Snopes.com
Here is the link to the article...http://www.snopes.com/risque/school/bracelet.asp

Its actually interesting
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:06 pm
good link, mysteryman. I remember that beer bottle label thing from my days in university in the 1970's.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:17 pm
mysteryman
This is a true story. It was on the front pages of today's NY Post. They had pictures of the girl and her mothers comments. It is not restricted to one school either. Yes, it is hard to believe of 11 year olds. IMO opinion we can thank the entertainment industry and the smut they produce.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:19 pm
au - 11 year-olds were having sex 30 years ago, 50 years, 100 years ago 200 years ago and on and on

hard to blame the entertainment industry for something that preceded them
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:20 pm
old news and so what?

kids have had secret sex signals and such always.
the secret world of kids.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:21 pm
AU,
Not everything you read in the post is the truth.
I just posted the link because I heard the same kind of story 30 years ago when I was in school.Some things never change.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:30 pm
mysteryman
We shall see. I am sure if the story is true we will be hearing more about in in the days that follow. If it is a hoax heads will no doubt fall.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:47 pm
I just read somewhere (oh, but where?) that young women are keeping logs of numbers of contacts and types.. and comparing and contrasting, not entirely to have an extensive set of notches - though yes, to a certain number - but also not to rack up too many notches re future consideration from males.

Might have been in this week's New Yorker..
but it could also have been in one of the newpapers I glanced over yesterday.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:54 pm
http://www.nypost.com/photos/news05232004005.jpg

Showing off her sex toys in front of her school
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 04:57 pm
ossobuco wrote:
I just read somewhere (oh, but where?) that young women are keeping logs of numbers of contacts and types.. and comparing and contrasting, not entirely to have an extensive set of notches - though yes, to a certain number - but also not to rack up too many notches re future consideration from males.

Might have been in this week's New Yorker..
but it could also have been in one of the newpapers I glanced over yesterday.

osso, you're thinking of this: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=702981&highlight=#702981
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:11 am
Catholic (or parochial) schools seem worse because they're usually smaller than public schools and therefore more socially incestuous. And the principal is always sneaking around corners trying to find out what the students are doing.

Cav, I attended Catholic school for ten years and didn't ever feel like a target of the sexual repression you speak of. We did have religious education as a mandatory class, but none of the vices merited more guilt-enforcing than the rest.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:22 am
Thanks for posting the snopes, article, mysteryman. This part is most closely allied to what I was thinking:

Quote:
On the other hand, almost without exception, the middle- and high-school kids from all across the US. express shock that the adults would think they were actually obeying this "code" and disappointment in their elders for failing to understand the bracelets are no more than a cool fashion accessory that has attracted a silly rumor. Yes, many kids had heard the rumor before the media threw it at them (and many hadn't), but even to those exposed to this snippet of lore in the wild (i.e., those that heard it from their friends as an item of schoolyard lore rather than gleaned it from the headlines of the day), this was nothing more than a giddy "everybody knows" fact, right up there with "Bubble Yum contains spider eggs."

I went to a "bad" high school -- lots of drugs, a fair amount of gang activity, etc. While actual bad stuff happened, there was a heckuva lot more posturing -- letting people (especially adults) believe that we were worse than we actually were. Part of the whole process.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:22 am
mysteryman
It is not as you suspected, I guess you would call it an urban legend. The girl who was suspended from school and her mother appeared on the Scarborough report last evening. It is real and it is now.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:31 am
I should add that since the story appeared in the paper there has not been one word of denial from anyone in the school system.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:40 am
Which girl was suspended?

My take, so far:

- Kids are wearing the jelly bracelets
- Kids have an elaborate code for what they mean

I believe all of that is totally true.

- Kids are actually doing this stuff (snaps, coupons for sex, having sex)

I find this less likely, or at least not as widespread as it is being reported.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:46 am
The girl in the picture.
As for how widespread it is I can not say. However,as for children of 12 and 13 having sex I have no doubt.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 26 May, 2004 08:52 am
A) the article doesn't say she was suspended,

B) the article doesn't say she engaged in any actual sex acts, just sold the bracelets.

Quote:
Although Megan says that neither she nor any friends of hers are actually having sex, she is savvy to all the graphic sex terms and the corresponding colors.
0 Replies