Is happiness attainable in this life?

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 09:49 pm
Sadness prevails in my life. I've not achieved what I wanted to do nor have the money to do things. I'm afraid I'll die an unhappy person.

Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 25 Aug, 2014 11:54 pm
@Mollybear2014,
I'm sorry to hear you feel this way, Molly. For myself, I learned long ago that my happiness does not consist of achieving or attaining what I want but, rather, in learning to love, appreciate and be grateful for those things which I do have. Getting what I want is a dead end blind alley. I get what I want and I only want more. But if I can truly appreciate what I have, I'm happy as the proverbial clam.
neologist

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 12:19 am
@Mollybear2014,
I'll go with Andrew on this one.
BTW, that's a mighty cute dog.
Mollybear2014

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 07:27 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Thank you, Lustig, for your advice. I've heard about being grateful for what you have. I've also heard that having money or more things won't make me happy. I'd love to try having lots of money - just for a week or two, so I could pay off some debt! I realize happiness needs to come from within yourself. I have been gifted with several talents: for sewing and creativity, gardening, and patience. These aren't making me happy right now. Maybe there's just too many stressful situations in my life.
Mollybear2014

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 07:29 pm
@neologist,
TY neologist! He's a bichon/poodle mix.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 07:49 pm
@Mollybear2014,
I can relate and sympathize with what you're saying, particularly as regards stress. The thing I try to remember is that there will always be situations which I cannot change, situations over which I have no control. I try to achieve a serenity to accept the situations I cannot change. After all, what's the point in banging my head against a brick wall?
cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 08:17 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
We all go through some stress; I believe it's all part of our DNA. The real trick is to learn that everybody has some stress in their lives, and those of us who can overcome them by appreciating what we have is the real solution.

I also believe it doesn't matter how wealthy the individual is.
Taking care of one's mental and physical health is what makes our life rich.

0 Replies

giujohn

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 08:34 pm
@Mollybear2014,
Those who say that money cant buy hapiness just dont know where to shop.
0 Replies

georgeob1

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 08:44 pm
@Mollybear2014,
Mollybear2014 wrote:

Sadness prevails in my life. I've not achieved what I wanted to do nor have the money to do things. I'm afraid I'll die an unhappy person.

It's not really possible to fully understand another's situation, but I can tell you what I have learned in my own life and in observing the lives of those close to me. I believe the key point is that happiness is largely a choice. We all face troubles, challenges and the sting of unfulfilled wants and ambitions. We all face decay and death. Whether, despite that, we find peace and joy in the ephemeral peaceful and joyful things that pass through our days and lives is something largely of our own choosing.

There is a passage in Tolstoy's War and Peace that bears on this. The principal character in the novel, Pierre Bezukhov (who wanders through the novel trying to figure out the meaning of his life) is captured by the retreating French army in its winter flight from Moscow and Russia. The French soldiers are starving and succumbing to the frost and the partisans, while their prisoners have it even worse. In the midst of this Pierre is described as discovering that "there is a limit to joy and a limit to sorrow, and those limits are soon reached. He realized that a man "suffering from a crumpled petal in his bed of roses may suffer just as much as he". That's a bit of a stretch, but it illustrates a point.

The fact repeated pleasure often yields only satiety and sometimes boredom reminds us that hunger is truly the best sauce. The joys and pleasures we miss and sometimes envy have their price and their limitations as well. The pain and discomforts we experience are merely their counterpoint.

I think its the small things in life, the exchanged smile with a stranger, a small act of kindness to another that make a day worth having and a life worth living. There's something interesting to be found in nearly everyone we meet or merely encounter. Trying to find it, even in superficial daily transactions can be very fulfilling.
0 Replies

G4Racer

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 09:54 pm
@Mollybear2014,
Yes, wealth has little to do with it and may even hinder it. Being visited by a 4 year old great grandson that just had a large tumor removed from a nerve at the spine getting to use his right leg again. Spending time in the White Mountains and finding it doesn't matter if its hot, cold, raining, snowing or sunny. Spending Wednesday lunch with a bunch of old guys, these guys are all involved in Vintage racing. My wife had major surgery just before the GGS and I get to heat some soup and make a sandwich for her at lunch or evening.
What makes me happy is either doing things for others or being by myself at a lake in the mountains.
For me happiness comes from sharing with others and appreciating the time I spend up north.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 10:19 pm
@Mollybear2014,
Quote:
YES
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 10:34 pm
@G4Racer,
Where abouts in the White Mountains Racer?
G4Racer

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 03:21 pm
@neologist,
I was working on the 4000 club on and off. If you ask that question you may know what I am saying . . . after 40 years I may have to get a new pair of Peter Limmer boots. I don't know when they started but I know they were going strong in 1958. Custom boots are now about $700. if they still last 40 years it's a good deal. I did the Presidential range the weekend I got them. They wereless than 200 in 58
neologist

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 03:42 pm
@G4Racer,
I bought Peter Limmer boots in '65. Finished the AMC 4000 footer club back in '67. I had spent the entire summer in the woods, swam in the Pemmigewasset, etc. I love this planet!
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 03:48 pm
@neologist,
If you really love this planet and all the living humans, you really don't need any religion. Mr. Green
neologist

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 03:54 pm
@cicerone imposter,
True.
We have in our hearts all we need for moral behavior.

Is that what you mean?
cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 27 Aug, 2014 04:12 pm
@neologist,
Yup! Spot on.
0 Replies

MWal

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 12:32 pm
@Mollybear2014,
Virtue is the key. If you want to be happy be good. Happiness is a virtue.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 4 Sep, 2014 01:04 pm
@Mollybear2014,
Quote:
I am getting HAPPIER, HAPPIER & HAPPIER, as time goes by.

David
MWal

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2014 03:36 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
Perpetual emotions.
0 Replies