Why do most Americans oppose gay marriage?

jora

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:12 pm
I read that only 22% of Americas think that gay marriages should be allowed. What is this, nazi Germany? Makes me ashamed to be American myself.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 13,500 • Replies: 217
No top replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:14 pm
Polls can be misleading. Though, I agree with you that the majority are backwards on this issue.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:20 pm
I dont think most Americans oppose gay marriage,I think most Americans oppose the false reasons for it.
If you listen to what gay marriage advocates are saying,they want to marry for "insurance benefits,social security benefits,survivor benefits,hospital visitation rights,etc.
Everything else except love.
I didnt marry my wife for those benefits,and I doubt if other married couples did either.
Also,many people are opposed on religious grounds.IMHO,that is a legitimate reason to be opposed.I cannot tell people what religious beliefs to have,and if they are sincere in their beliefs,then we must accept that.
But,there are the few that are opposed just because they are ignorant,and nothing we say will ever change that.
But on the whole,I dont think most Americans are opposed,I think most Americans dont care one way or another.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:27 pm
mysteryman wrote:

That's because they already have the love mystryman, they are denied everything else.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:54 pm
mysteryman wrote:
I dont think most Americans oppose gay marriage,I think most Americans oppose the false reasons for it.
If you listen to what gay marriage advocates are saying,they want to marry for "insurance benefits,social security benefits,survivor benefits,hospital visitation rights,etc.
I didnt marry my wife for those benefits,and I doubt if other married couples did either.
Also,many people are opposed on religious grounds.IMHO,that is a legitimate reason to be opposed.I cannot tell people what religious beliefs to have,and if they are sincere in their beliefs,then we must accept that.
But,there are the few that are opposed just because they are ignorant,and nothing we say will ever change that.
But on the whole,I dont think most Americans are opposed,I think most Americans dont care one way or another.

I disagree. I disagree very much. There are plenty of people who are very against it, and I think they make up the majority of the country.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:01 pm
back to the religious reasoning - not a basis for legislation.
0 Replies

skyhigh

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:08 pm
You are ashamed to be called an American, America being a country that people have a right to say "I agree, and that is what I will stand for"; or "I disagree, so I will act on that"?

Wow.

That is all I can say. Wow.

Please do expound on your idea that, because 22% of Americans think gay marriage is okay, suddenly America is like "Nazi Germany".

Maybe you were just being sarcastic, but for people who are proud and extremely greatful to be living in America, a (possibly) sarcastic and rediculous remark like that is one of the heaviest insults you can give.

So by all means, explain. I am eager to know what you are basing this opinion on?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:08 pm
I'm not arguing whether it's right, right now. I'm arguing whether most people think it is right. I don't think mysteryman's statement that most americans don't care, one way or the other, is true.
It has been my impression that there are plenty of people who are angry, or feel threatened by the matter. It has not been my impression that most americans are indifferent.
0 Replies

bromeliad

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:10 pm
I got married for insurance and legal protection. I had just moved across the country to be with my husband/then boyfriend. I got pregnant quite unexpectedly. I was working as a lab technician testing pesticides at the time; there were no benefits. I was concerned about my working conditions so I quit. Unemployed and no health insurance.

I love my husband, but I really don't like the institution of marriage.

But if gay people want it why not let 'em.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:20 pm
SCoates wrote:
I'm not arguing whether it's right, right now. I'm arguing whether most people think it is right. I don't think mysteryman's statement that most americans don't care, one way or the other, is true.
It has been my impression that there are plenty of people who are angry, or feel threatened by the matter. It has not been my impression that most americans are indifferent.

Yeah, I know, I jump the gun, or something.

My view is that more than half of us citizens either believe in allowing gay marriage, are indifferent, or aren't willing to allow the government to ban it. I think if an amendment were put to the ballot, it would be hard to pass, but it would be close.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:24 pm
I think if it came to ballot right now, it would lose the popular vote, however it might do well in the electoral college.

I think if it was brought to ballot in several years, the results would be different.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:28 pm
how so?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:34 pm
The part, the first or second?

I don't think enough people would be willing to accept it right now, since it is just now picking up momentum as an issue. However, acceptance tends to come with time, and not with reason.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:44 pm
acceptance of an amendment or of gay marriage?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:56 pm
Either. I just don't think acceptence of new ideas comes with logic. It hasn't in the past. Matters which are considered contraversial are not discussed and resolved. Initially the general populace is repulsed, and are eventually worn down to tolerance, and then finally acceptance. Just like the problems african americans went through. Or womens suffrage.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:00 pm
I dunno if there would be eventual acceptance if a ban were passed. The gay community wouldn't just forget it and move on. They'd fight for equal rights and win.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:03 pm
I agree, I'm referring to people eventually accepting gay marriage. Not the other way around.
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:05 pm
I think I misunderstood your last question.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:08 pm
I think you got my point - at least your follow up post was clear to me. Or are you talking about the 9:44 Q?
0 Replies

SCoates

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 09:13 pm
Yes. I assumed you meant an ammendment allowing gay marriage. I was confused.
0 Replies