Why do most Americans oppose gay marriage?

disenter512

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 07:22 pm
what is the heck are you people discussing gay fruit? man your SICK. you want to believe that being Gay is ok fine go ahead and do that and when Our Country ends up as a piece of crap nation I will laugh and say I told ya all SO, FOOLS.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
Disenter I doubt you'll find many here that will agree there is anything bad about being gay.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:49 pm
Oh happy day, you've found a new friend, Fox. I think you two will get along famously--you have so much in common.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:56 pm
Setanta, try a cup of hot chocolate and a bubble bath. It might improve your disposition.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:56 am
disenter512 wrote:
You want to believe that being Gay is ok fine go ahead and do that and when Our Country ends up as a piece of crap nation...

Can I conclude from that that my beloved country the Netherlands will soon turn into a piece of crap nation, because of our gay parades, gay marriage etc.? Confused

(And still there are people outside the Netherlands who adore us - except the English, that is Evil or Very Mad )
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 11:25 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Setanta, try a cup of hot chocolate and a bubble bath. It might improve your disposition.

Nothing wrong in the least with my disposition. I was just glad to see that you've found a friend. You'll find the Dissenter to be every bit as extreme and nonsensical in his views as you could hope for. I sincerely hope you'll enjoy his company.
0 Replies

Debra Law

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:03 pm
What?
Foxfyre:

I'm not sure that I can decipher your response to my post:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=794640#794640

I read it, but you lost me. I'm having a difficult time relating your response to what I posted. I might try to debate your position at a later date, if I can figure it out.

In the meantime, happy debating!

Debra
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
Seems to me Dissenter is more compatible to your style Setanta. I suggest you two get acquainted.

(Edit to remove extraneous word)
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 12:22 pm
< gets the mud >
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:16 am
disenter512 wrote:
ou want to believe that being Gay is ok fine go ahead and do that and when Our Country ends up as a piece of crap nation I will laugh and say I told ya all SO, FOOLS.

Oh my....come on...take a look at what straight people have done to the "scanctity" of marriage...our divorce rate is 50-60%. Infidility is present in 75-80% of all marriages. Many kids aren't being taught the meaning of respect and are being turned into whining, self-centered, "the world ows me" adults because their (straight) parents are too busy.

Boy, those gays are sure messing things up. Rolling Eyes

I am not saying that by allowing gays to marry, anything would change. But the point is that recognizing a same sex couple can't hurt anything. If it is against your religion and it offends you that's fine. You have a right to say what you want to say and believe what you want to believe. But don't be a hypocite because just as you have a right to marry who you want and believe what you want, so does everyone else.

Also, I think that in the Netherlands (correct me if I am wrong), the divorce rate is much lower than it is here. This leads me to believe that the state of marriage in this country has nothing to do with what your sexual preference is but who you are as an individual.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 07:29 am
Kristie wrote:
Also, I think that in the Netherlands (correct me if I am wrong), the divorce rate is much lower than it is here.

You could be right. Although I have only the data of 2002, and the divorce rate in the US was 54.8 per 100 marriages back than; in the Netherlands it was 38.3. The best however is to look at data of 2004.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:29 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Quote:
Whether you call a personal relationship arising out of a civil contract between two people (to which the consent of the parties is essential) a "marriage" or a "civil union," it is the same thing.

No. A marriage is traditionally, and by most state law, a civil union between a man and a woman. To provide similar/same benefits to others should be called something else.

Call it whatever you'd like. Call it tapioca, civil union, Hawley Smoot Tarrif, or Mel Torme. As long as it *is* marriage, we don't care if you call it martha. We, on the other hand, will continue to call it marriage.

In the meantime, I just came from the wedding of my aunt to her girlfriend of 7 years. It was a beautiful ceremony (one of the better weddings I've been to) and the horsemen of the apocalypse failed to show up once these two women were married. Oh, and the 15 year old son of my aunt's spouse is not gay and seemed rather well adjusted.
0 Replies

smog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:42 am
I always thought that "marriage" was the combination of the king and queen of the same suit, as in pinochle. *shrugs*
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 08:53 am
limbodog wrote:

In the meantime, I just came from the wedding of my aunt to her girlfriend of 7 years. It was a beautiful ceremony (one of the better weddings I've been to) and the horsemen of the apocalypse failed to show up once these two women were married. Oh, and the 15 year old son of my aunt's spouse is not gay and seemed rather well adjusted.

Congratulations to your Aunt and her now life partner! It's always nice to hear that someone has found another person to happily spend their life with. Very Happy
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 11:56 am
I'm glad for your aunt's happiness, Limbodog. But I'm even happier that another couple of gays have decided to marry and settle down, to contribute to the stability of society.
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:09 pm
Well, to be honest, they'd already settled down really. Just now they're getting the benefits due them.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:27 pm
Good, that means to me that they are now even more settled (and secure as a couple).
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 12:31 pm
At least for a couple years, yes. If the constitution is ammended adding the discrimination in (already passed 1/3 of what is necessary) then their marriage could be nullified by the governor.
0 Replies