Diet device makes you take smaller bites

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:24 am
Have we no self-control? You have to have a gadget in our mouth to prevent eating too much.

It could help you lose weight -- as long as you actually use it when you eat. The gadget isn't permanently attached, so you can leave it out and wolf down big bites anytime you want. But Scientific Intake believes its DDS System is more palatable than a strict diet or surgery. The company expects to begin selling its devices Wednesday for about $400 apiece. The company's chief executive says he lost 14 pounds simply by wearing it off and on over five months. "Many people today ... eat so quickly their stomach doesn't have a chance to get message to the brain" to stop eating, said CEO William Longley. "This helps slow you down, so you feel satisfied on less food."

Nutritionists agree that the gadget could help, but some were mystified as to why anyone would spend hundreds of dollars for this approach. "You don't need a $500 appliance to do this," said Madelyn Fernstrom, director of the Weight Management Center at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center said. "It's not a system -- it's simply a physical barrier to eating." A baby spoon could accomplish the same thing, she suggested. And for the money, she said, some people might want to get a personal trainer.

http://www.boston.com/yourlife/health/fitness/articles/2004/05/19/diet_device_makes_you_take_smaller_bites/
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,758 • Replies: 41
No top replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:28 am
well that's funny!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:45 am
Its like drinking an entire bottle of vodeka quickly. You wouldnt know it until about 15 minutes and within 2 hours youd be dead
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:49 am
or you could just take a bottle full of laxatives, that is one way to ensure you wont gain weight.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 03:50 pm
But would you really pay $400 for such a gadget?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 04:01 pm
This is just stupid, and an attempt to cash in on the diet market, or racket, I should say. Anyone remember snake oil?
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:45 am
snake oil?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:54 am
Snake oil: Derogatory term applied to a product whose developers describe it with misleading, inconsistent, or incorrect technical statements
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 07:58 am
did you pull that one right out of websters??
I have a diet... I lost 10 pounds on it since christmas.
I ate nothing but salad, I still eat nothing but salad.
I HATE salad!
but it works. I slip up and get taco bell every so often, but then I go back to salad.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:00 am
It was a more concise definition than one I could muster myself, aimeemarie. Get some protein girl. The all-carb, low-cal diet is bad for the metabolism.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:03 am
farmerman wrote:
Its like drinking an entire bottle of vodeka quickly. You wouldnt know it until about 15 minutes and within 2 hours youd be dead

I once chugged a chilled beer mug full of vodka on a bet and I'm still here. And wiser too. :wink:
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:04 am
For five dollars I will send you my 100% guranteed weight loss tape.

It's duct tape. Put it across your mouth and leave it there. Watch the pounds melt off.
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:10 am
I eat fish too, I don't eat red meat, don't like it. I am saying 2 out of three meals a day, salad... for dinner I eat fish or chicken with rice and veggies...
I have to be careful of everything I eat, no chocolate, no cookies(unless I make them) everything stor bought has peanut traces! it's bad news when I eat peanuts... there we go I could eat peanuts and not worry about weight, I'll be dead!!!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:16 am
Well, that sounds better than an all-salad diet aimeemarie. Throw a few chicken breasts in there, and you're on your way. I'm guessing you have a peanut allergy....that sucks. I completely understand why you don't buy any store bought snacks.
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:24 am
trust me it keeps the pounds off, no cookies because I certainly don't have time to make them myself. Ice cream is my downfall
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:31 am
Uh oh....stay away from me then, I make my own.
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 08:35 am
your own ice cream? or your own cookies?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:08 am
Now Bi-Polar that sounds much more sensible and cheaper. What's the difference between the two? Your product is cheaper and more effective.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:10 am
aimeemarie123 wrote:

Both of course. What's one without the other?
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Thu 20 May, 2004 11:21 am
aimeemarie123 wrote:

Both of course. What's one without the other?

Will you Marry me?????
0 Replies