Life's a Laugh, and Death's a joke it's true.

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 07:56 am
Hi,

I am sure some of you will schoff at me or make jokes about how I am worrying for not reason, but I feel like some of you may be able to help me. Now, I warn you I am going to be very blunt in this post.

I'm going to die.

It's true. I'm going to, my Mother is going to, my sister, you, your Mom (if she hasn't already). Heck, even your dog will die. We all die. One day. Someday.

Not getting into too much detail I live with mental illness. Part of my illness is an intense fear of rejection and abandonment. I'm not scared to die, I'm scared t die alone.

I have night terrors (mostly when I don't take my meds). My dreams always revolve around getting old and dying. In my dreams I am old but I am still that same as I am now (note: I am currently 31). Also it seems to come so fast. Like I skip 50 years of my life.

I wake up crying, shaking, screaming. Thinks I used to look forward to I don't. Instead of saying, "I can't wait for ___!" It's, "Oh, that just means I'm one more day/month/year/etc closer to death."

I get anxious when people make, "life flies by" comments.

So for older people who are nearing the end of their lives (and who aren't afraid to talk about it).

Are you afraid to die? If yes, why and what helps you be less afraid? If no, why not?

I don't want to go through my life being scared to die 50 years or what not before it even happens.

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 09:26 am
@littlemel4,
"The world is a comedy to those who think; a tragedy to those who feel."
Horace Walpole

Couldn't be more true.

But, for what it's worth:
The current world situation is not God's purpose. Take comfort in knowing that he has not abandoned you in spite of how dark it may seem
farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:08 am
@neologist,
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:56 am
Click on the link below the image - not the one with a red arrow in the image:

0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 12:04 pm
@littlemel4,
Everyone is afraid to die.

The policeman, the burlgar, the man that prays daily at the church, the patient on the oncology ward, the atheist, the king...

Only the kids whose brains still cannĀ“t still grasp the concept of finity, are the ones who are not afraid.

Death is the only certainty, is the only absolute promise.

It can be terror, it can be freedom, it can be nothingness. It completely depends on YOU.

I am afraid to die, but i do not see death as something bad. I see it as the next adventure. I am sure that when i end this adventure i am in i will respawn in another one. Completely different and unkwon. Because:

There is nothing worst than people that stop living here and now. Because they are the real walking dead. Avoid those kinds of people. Live, because living is what really matters.
timur

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 12:20 pm
Luismtzzz wrote:
Everyone is afraid to die.

I'm always surprised that people, some supposedly well educated, assert such dumb things.

It's not because you are afraid to die that anyone else feels the same.

You can live a more vibrant life if you are able to watch the death in the eyes and don't tremble in fear.
luismtzzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 12:31 pm
@timur,
I am sorry, but i have my personal reasons why i belive this is true. Is easy to say so reckessly that "watch the death in the eyes and don't tremble in fear".

I heard that a lot mostly with people that never had saw death to the eye. But i had done so. Personally, and with countless of patients on ER and in hospitalization. What i see at the end with those who face it with dignity is acceptance. But not the lose of fear. Because the biggest fear of all is of what you leave behind.

One thing is to tremble and panic, and another one to embrace it. To let it pass threw you as the inevitable and unstoppable force that death is.

This fear do not means to live in shadows, it means to live fully and at its best.

You understimate death. Because death is not only what ends within ourself, but what we leave here with those who still live.

farmerman

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 12:50 pm
@luismtzzz,
well said.
0 Replies

timur

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 01:28 pm
@luismtzzz,
You are again spouting nonsense:

Quote:
Is easy to say so reckessly
Why are you assuming I'm reckless envisioning death?

Quote:
I heard that a lot mostly with people that never had saw death to the eye.
Well, it seems that you have seen very few of it.

Quote:
You understimate death.
Oh, yeah?

And you know this how?

Quote:
and with countless of patients on ER and in hospitalization.
And in war zones too?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 01:34 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:
. . You can live a more vibrant life if you are able to watch the death in the eyes and don't tremble in fear.
But, if you had your druthers, you would prefer to keep living, right?
timur

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 01:41 pm
@neologist,
Obviously, I prefer life.

But note that not everyone does so.

Look at the suicide rate.

It seems that some don't fear death.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 01:48 pm
Quote:
Littleme said: Are you afraid to die? If yes, why and what helps you be less afraid? If no, why not?

You sound young, so it's probably just a phase you're going through. I went through a phase when I was young where I was terrified that every time I got a headache I thought it was a brain tumoour, and if I got stomach ache I thought it was appendicitis..Smile
As I got older I changed my thinking to- "If something's going to happen, it's going to happen, so why worry about it?"
Yeah we're all going to die but so what, there's nothing we can do about it. I'm in my 60's and have seen my parents die, and my grandparents, aunts and uncles, a nephew, pets, but that's life, and my turn will come..Smile
The only people who should worry about dying are non-christians..Wink
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 01:50 pm
@timur,
timur wrote:
Obviously, I prefer life.

But note that not everyone does so.

I have read of those who survived suicide attempts, that many experience regret as soon as they find themselves flying. Don't know of any verifiable studies, though.

But, I think it axiomatic that those of good mental and physical health would prefer to extend life indefinitely.
timur

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:00 pm
@neologist,
Well, even you are suggesting that there's a fringe that isn't afraid of death.

I know for a fact that, despite well intentioned people asserting otherwise, some people don't fear death.
neologist

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:13 pm
@timur,
There are many accounts of those willing to sacrifice their lives for others or for a cause greater than themselves. Those generally deserve admiration.

Still, if situations had been different. . .
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:39 pm
@timur,
Quote:

In this point you are wrong.

Suicides do fear death, the problem with them is that they fear LIFE even more.

And the point i tried to say was that we should not to fear and in consequence panic and tremble. The point is fear and then aknowledge and embrace. Live the life as the only one you will have since one only thing is for sure, it has an end.

The mean subject here is if it really matters to worry. I i say NO. Lets not worry, lets dream an d live for our dreams and do not wait for life to give you everything on a silver tray. Death must be aknowledged, but do not let it be a brake, because there is nothing one can do when it comes.
timur

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:45 pm
@luismtzzz,
Well, I'm quite certain some people don't fear death, contrary to your assertion that everybody does.

But we are in agreement for the rest..
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:58 pm
@littlemel4,
Have you tried having a ****? I always feel a lot better once I've had a ****.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 04:38 pm
@luismtzzz,
I've seen a lot of near death. The complete yellow man I was sent to take blood from, I think that was at the Jewish Home for the Aged in Los Angeles, when I worked at a local clinical lab. I had once wanted to train at County General, but before I applied there, a friend was moving to San Diego and wanted me to go with, and I looked around - I had sorrow family reasons to get away - and my life might have been different if I tried for the county, as I went to train in a small lab in what turned out to be a diabetes infirmary aligned with the well regarded Scripts Institute. But, that was sort of a nothing lab, just got me through, only connection it seemed to me was that it was on the same property, across an alley. The good part is that I could go to the Institute lectures, real smarties there. The bad part is that I didn't deal with the hellfire of LA County Hospital, that I might have gotten used to if I applied and went there.. So, my degree was wonderful and my training was on the lame side, re hospital life, except that I'd worked at a hospital from the day I turned 16, even feet away from the emergency room, but I still was not right there.

My first real job was to start a lab, run it, and be it.
But, in those years, I didn't see the dying, except for one young guy - he and I knew he was, I just listened. Not that we talked about it. I don't remember his name but would recognize it. That was in '66.

The death that I saw hard was my mother's, long with alzheimers, not that they diagnosed it as that then. I didn't see her die, was there maybe half hour after. She is me, was me, in many ways I keep learning about, since we disagreed on everything.

I doubt she apprehended death as such facing her in that way, that day. But she probably did ten years before. Sort of where I am now, five years younger, which is to say, I've made it to here.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:08 pm
@izzythepush,
Izzy!
You're making me dizzy!
0 Replies