Interesting characters on a2k

blatham

Reply Tue 5 Aug, 2014 06:40 am
A bit earlier, Setanta was arguing with someone re Kent State. Rick Perlstein's new book is about to be released and there's a relevant excerpt posted at TPM right now. Attend to that final sentence below...

"Later that spring, when Berkeley students forcefully seized a spit of vacant campus land and declared it a “People’s Park,” Reagan dispatched not just National Guard troops but a Sikorsky helicopter that spewed tear gas at students cornered into a crowded campus square. A student was shot observing events from a rooftop. Reagan said, “The police didn’t kill the young man. He was killed by the first college administra­tor who said some time ago it was all right to break the laws in the name of dissent.” His address at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco defending the military deployment—he was beating back, he said, “a revolutionary movement involving a tiny minority of faculty and stu­dents finding concealment and shelter in an entire college generation. . . . Stand firm and the university can dispose of this revolution within the week”—made all three networks.

The following year, as bomb scares swept the nation following the conviction of seven New Left activists for conspiring to disrupt the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, UC Santa Barbara students burned down a Bank of America branch. Marx-minded student leaders welcomed such incidents as “heightening the contradictions”—a necessary precursor to the longed-for revolution. Reagan barked back, four days before the shootings at Kent State: “If it’s to be a bloodbath, let it be now. No more appeasement.” http://bit.ly/1qQrcNk
dlowan

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 07:15 pm
@margo,
nope
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Wed 6 Aug, 2014 07:35 pm
@blatham,
blatham wrote:
A bit earlier, Setanta was arguing with someone re Kent State.
Rick Perlstein's new book is about to be released and there's a relevant excerpt posted at TPM right now. Attend to that final sentence below...

"Later that spring, when Berkeley students forcefully seized a spit of vacant campus land and declared it a “People’s Park,” Reagan dispatched not just National Guard troops but a Sikorsky helicopter that spewed tear gas at students cornered into a crowded campus square. A student was shot observing events from a rooftop. Reagan said, “The police didn’t kill the young man. He was killed by the first college administra­tor who said some time ago it was all right to break the laws in the name of dissent.” His address at the Commonwealth Club in San Francisco defending the military deployment—he was beating back, he said, “a revolutionary movement involving a tiny minority of faculty and stu­dents finding concealment and shelter in an entire college generation. . . . Stand firm and the university can dispose of this revolution within the week”—made all three networks.

The following year, as bomb scares swept the nation following the conviction of seven New Left activists for conspiring to disrupt the 1968 Democratic National Convention in Chicago, UC Santa Barbara students burned down a Bank of America branch. Marx-minded student leaders welcomed such incidents as “heightening the contradictions”—a necessary precursor to the longed-for revolution.

Reagan barked back, four days before the shootings at Kent State:
“If it’s to be a bloodbath, let it be now. No more appeasement.” http://bit.ly/1qQrcNk
1. Ronald Reagan was different than Neville Chamberlain.
2.The slavery of communism is dead!

My GRATITUDE to Ronald Reagan will never die.

David
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:21 am
Ronald Reagan was a huge part of the genesis of the major troubles we are having in this country right now. Dysfunctional government is almost entirely his baby.

In my opinion, our country...and the world...would be a much, much better place if he had never attained the office of president of the United States.

Funny part is, that probably even he would look at what has resulted from what he started; hung his head in dejections; and said, "What have I done!"
Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:31 am
@Frank Apisa,
What really amuses me is that hero-worshipers like David keep crediting Ronald "Montana Cattle Queen" Reagan as the man most responsible for the collapse of the "evil empire" of the Soviet Union. The USSR was falling apart at the seams long before Reagan took office. It wasn't any of his policies that dealt it the final blow. The same thing would have happened regardless of who was the US President at the time, given the rather felicitous presence of Mikhail Gorbachev. But I can understand where the Conservatives are under some stress to find something positive they can point to during Reagan's tenure. Reaganomics is embarasement enough.
Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:47 am
It is certain that the collapse of the Soviet Union is falsely attributed to Reagan. The Soviets went into Afghanistan in 1978, before anyone could have projected that Reagan would be president. The cracks in the Warsaw Pact adherence to the Soviet hegemony began before Reagan was elected, most notably, the Solidarity movement in Poland. Russia began sending more troops and equipment to Warsaw Pact nations before it was even known that Reagan would run for the office. Russian troops were also sent to the Baltic states in the late 1970s because of increased unrest and calls for independence. The T72 tank, the Sukhoi 25, the MiG 25 and 29, the newest BTR armored infantry fighting vehicle were all either already in service or were in the final stages of development and testing when Reagan took office. The popular conservative meme that the Soviet Union collapsed because of its inability to compete with the American military build-up is simply not supported by fact. The rise of Mikhail Gorbachev in the 1980s, which had nothing to do with Reagan, had far more to do with the evenual collapse of the Soviet Union. When Reagan campaigned in 1980, it was not even then apparent that he wold be nominated and elected. George Bush had "paid his dues" to the Republican Party by taking the unwelcome post of Chairman of the Republican Party in the final days of the Nixon administration. In early 1980, the "smart money" in political circles saw Bush as the Republican standard bearer in 1980.

The claim of Reaganite partisans that he brought about the downfall of the Soviet Union remind me of the rooster standing on the dung heap who believes that the sun rises because he crows. Those events were coincidental, and only coincidental. Has Bush been nominated and won in 1980, they would have given him credit for the event.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:49 am
@Frank Apisa,
And as many have observed, what with the raising taxes, the union history, the cooperative efforts with the other party to govern, etc, Reagan wouldn't stand a chance in the movement as we see it modernly.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 7 Aug, 2014 02:52 am
@Lustig Andrei,
Setanta and you get it right. But a lot of effort and expense has been put into creating a mythology around Reagan. He's now a sacred icon. Which is handy because the sacred is no longer available to be viewed in any but one way.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 07:07 am
I have to say, too, that I am distraught to return here and find that one of my very favorite posters has disappeared. Wherever you are, DipsyPouflebottom, please stay true to yourself. It's a rare creature indeed who can play "Flight of the Bumblebee" on viola while doing that other thing with a college football team.
panzade

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 08:11 am
@blatham,
I thought you should know.
DipsyPouflebottom changed her handle to Carissima69 and now posts on NSFW threads exclusively
blatham

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 08:18 am
@panzade,
Good grief. The work environment these days... (wall collapses, dust swirling, "Nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition")
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 08:35 am
@panzade,
No I didn't.
Err . . .
Never mind.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 10:10 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
In my opinion, our country...and the world...would be a much, much better place if he had never attained the office of president of the United States.

Interesting opinion, FA. Completely wrong, of course. Reagan was one of the best Presidents we've had, naturally.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Fri 8 Aug, 2014 10:18 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:
Ronald Reagan was a huge part of the genesis of the major troubles
we are having in this country right now. [Surely the communists agreed with u.]

Dysfunctional government is almost entirely his baby.
Dysfunctional government is a GOOD thing.
The less it functions, the freer we are
and THAT 'S what counts.
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:38 am
@Ticomaya,
Ticomaya wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

Interesting opinion, FA. Completely wrong, of course. Reagan was one of the best Presidents we've had, naturally.

I understand you feel that way, Ti.

Sorry you are so wrong on that.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 04:39 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

and THAT 'S what counts.

Well, you are certainly getting your wish.
edgarblythe

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:55 am
I had been calling Bush our worst president ever, but I actually think the honor goes to Reagan for setting the stage for such morons to enter.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 05:58 am
@Frank Apisa,
Frank Apisa wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

and THAT 'S what counts.

THAT 'S what I wish for, Frank.
Progressively greater n greater personal freedom,
at the expense of government interference and the degradation of authority.

David
Frank Apisa

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 06:00 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

OmSigDAVID wrote:

Frank Apisa wrote:

and THAT 'S what counts.

THAT 'S what I wish for, Frank.
Progressively greater n greater personal freedom,
at the expense of government interference and the degradation of authority.

David

Okay.

Some people wish for castor oil.

What could I say?
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sat 9 Aug, 2014 06:02 am
@Frank Apisa,
U r welcome to a double dose.

Think of me, as u gulp it down.
0 Replies