panzade

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:44 am
@ehBeth,
Hell-of-a-guy. We interact almost daily on FB
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 10:47 am
Here's some news:
1) I had coffee with The Pentacle Queen. So charming.
2) I'm putting a post on Able2Know. Cool

Joe(alert the media)Nation
Ticomaya

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 11:00 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I'll bring the umbrellas.

I have an umbrella. I'm sure of it.

I have no idea where it is.
cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 11:04 am
@Ticomaya,
We have at least a half dozen umbrellas, and I know we can spare a couple.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 12:13 pm
@Joe Nation,
Quote:
I had coffee with The Pentacle Queen.

One of my fave characters...
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:07 pm
@ehBeth,
Dang it, that may be the impetus for me to join.

I will need help if I do, juggling the settings. I know we have threads on it, and I've got a lot of those threads in an fb file. I keep promising to read them.

Given I give up and join, I'll want an account with my own name, and an ossobuco one. I figure it could be crazy making.

On JJorge, I've told the story before, but back there in San Francisco, those of us there shared taxis for expense and taxi companionship. I know he and I were in one taxi, not sure if there was a third a2k person with us. He and the russian driver got talking about russian poetry, especially Akmatova, whom I'd not heard of before, rather thrilling for me to watch/listen, and then the mad driver turned down one of the steep streets and did a Steve McQueen flying car thing. Mad, and wonderful.

engineer

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:17 pm
@ehBeth,
I've noticed that several posters seem to have moved 100% over the Facebook and disappeared from A2K to our loss.
panzade

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:18 pm
@ossobuco,
Great post Oss.
Here's my take on FB
I wish to hell I'd used my handle panzade instead of my real name.
The loss of privacy is unnerving.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:22 pm
@Joe Nation,
Speaking of missing a character..

Have you ever compiled your anecdotes here? I still remember some of them.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:24 pm
@panzade,
...plus, you have people saying, "Who the hell are you?"

heh

So nice to have you there.
ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:25 pm
@panzade,
Groups. It's all about groups (for me).

I have a few subsets of groups that very rarely cross each other's paths.

One of the interesting things has been some of the weird six degrees of Kevin Bacon things there have been. You, of course, are part of one of them. How bizarre is it to discover a real world connection that has a real world connection to a virtual connection.

It's bizarre.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:30 pm
@Ticomaya,
I left my umbrella in California, back in rainville north. It could be stormy and windy by the sea, by the sea, but in my last place, Eureka environs, drizzle was the key mode, the rest only once in a while. You saw few umbrellas on the streets.

When traveling, I hated taking an umbrella. Those travel umbrellas are heavy, and regular ones only work below a certain cloudburst threshold. So, in both New York and Rome, I went without one. Got one in a drugstore in NY, where it flipped up as I went out the door, and in Rome, people just appear on the street selling them.. Also found one at the movies in Santa Barbara. They cannot be owned. I left the one in New York at a candy store, and the one in Rome at the last albergo.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:30 pm
@panzade,
Yes to that. I can only imagine the conversation.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 02:32 pm
@engineer,
I will never do that. I love a2k, dammit.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:05 pm
@ehBeth,
You and I have that too, with someone my ex is working on a project with (that is truly strange; I don't know the details, but they're still at it).

On putting up my own name - well, I used to worry re being sought for someone's concrete cracking or tree dying, an exaggeration, but one is liable for design, so we were told, even after death, via the estate. But, hell, I have no estate.

I've never been sued and neither was my employer of earlier years, but most all of us small design firms back then went bare, re errors and omission insurance. In my own business, we only had insurance (killing, killing money, and you have to keep it up after the project for that project) once, and that was when we worked on a caltrans project. Good thing for my heart rate doing the preliminary grades. I also redid a major firm engineering complete (except for finished) grading plan for a multi building housing and parking project, me doing the planting w/ finished grades, but I read first...
engineering firm person angry, my boss straightening out his boss, who agreed, as mine was saner re soil removal.
So, I didn't want to hear from those people.
Now, I don't give a ****.
That was, though, behind my original reluctance re fb. Now my reluctance is that I can't handle the confusion of the fb world.

Still, I've a number of people I'd like to connect again with, as I lost a bunch of email addresses (M names and later) when I moved, and they, mine.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:31 pm
@ossobuco,
Well, that was a digression, but I was glad for both ehBeth's and panzade's post re fb.
Thx all.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:35 pm
@Lash,
awww...so sweet
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:37 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
You, of course, are part of one of them

Yes. Correct me if I'm wrong but weren't you friends on FB with my niece before we even hooked up?
ehBeth

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:48 pm
@panzade,
Correct.

When you suddenly appeared at FB and showed up as her friend it was startling - as I only knew her for what I uhhh know her for Smile Thought you were a errrr mature fanboy Wink
panzade

Reply Fri 1 Aug, 2014 03:51 pm
@ehBeth,
It's no secret that she was on CBC's Namaste...so you must have thought I was a lecher stalking her.... Very Happy
BTW she has become the executive producer of that show...precocious little niece.