Who had the highest IQ ever?

yitwail

Reply Thu 26 May, 2005 05:09 pm
Bakku wrote:
Basically what I'm wondering is that shouldn't the genuis kids have a super high IQ instead of someone like Mary von Savant, whose writing, IMO, doesn't give the impression of having been written by a genius?

it's Marilyn vos Savant, not Mary von Savant. anyway, she might be dumbing down her writing so that mere mortals can understand her. as to super IQ kids, some of them do turn out to be super IQ adults, but some don't, and some with more normal IQ turn out with higher IQs as they mature. so, adult IQs are more reliable, for what they're worth, which is another question altogether.
0 Replies

Bakku

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 07:41 pm
yitwail wrote:
cicerone imposter wrote:
michaelminett, First of all, welcome to a2k. Second of all, you're too smart for a2k. LOL

here's something i read in the megagenius site. btw, the link given in another post is incorrect; it's megagenius.com, not megagenious.com. guess the MG knows how to spell.

Quote:
A fascinating characteristic of intelligence is that the lower a person's IQ, the more he disagrees with others, regardless of their intellect. Conversely, the higher a person's IQ, the more he permits others to believe as they choose, and agrees with those whose intellects approximate his own.

if that's true, then the overall intelligence at A2K can't be all that high. :wink:

I dunno- I think the disagreeing part has more to do with self esteem than with intelligence. Possibly a person with higher intelligence has more self esteem and can therefore tolerate the ideas or correctness of others to a higher degree. A person who perceives themselves to be stupid would try their best to see others be wrong by disagreeing with them.

I think an interesting example of the whole IQ thing is my younger brother. For years, we all thought of him as a the 'not-so-smartest' of the family, and for good reason too: he failed 4th grade, he can't do math to save his life, he's never once done well in school, hates books (maybe that's just because he's a teenager) and (although is a nice kid), would never appear to be a very intelligent person by the looks of things. After taking his first IQ test it was discovered that the lad is a frikin genius of an IQ of some 170. Mine is some lower than him, and people would definitely judge me smarter. (not meaning to brag)

Also, I was thinking: if intelligence is currently the human's most important ability for adaptation, isn't bragging about it the same as what a caveman, some 1000 years ago, might have said-- "Me strongest man"? Also, having a very high intelligence isn't really that great of a thing. Taking the strength analogy-- If you are stronger than the environment requires you too be, then either you just won't use your strength that much, or you'll die sooner than the rest because you'll require so much food and energy (which will inturn lower your chances of survival).
For example...the negative impact very high intelligence can have on the survival of your genes: perhaps your ego was so big that you thought you were better than everyone and isolated yourself from everybody, and died without reproducing. Or, a more common occurence: even though you did reproduce, you were so busy challenging your intellect, that you didn't pay much attention to your children, and they turned into one of those kids whose dads were too busy for them, making them feel inferior for the rest of their lives, and basically turning them into mentally unstable people. Mentally unstable people do not fare very well in our society. You see this all the time: on TV, of you're ever watching the biography of one of those geniuses or whatever, their kids are NEVER as good as them, or anywhere near it. Usually you hear about how some scientist dude spent his life trying to solve this weird math problem and ignored his family.
Another possibility is that if you're really smart, you'll get depressed or something (whatever those poets and writers get), and die unhappy without having normal children.
Okeie.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 08:03 pm
Bakku, Welcome to a2k. High intelligence isn't all that it's cracked up to be. How one lives their life is of the primary essence of an individual, and it has nothing to do with a high IQ. Remember the unibomber? He had very high IQ, but his life was all screwed up!
0 Replies

Bakku

Reply Fri 27 May, 2005 10:19 pm
Whose the unibomber? (teeell mmeee!)
(nvr mind, I just looked him up)
0 Replies

Yuppie

Reply Thu 23 Jun, 2005 09:03 pm
more than 140 is genius ,right?
are there any geniuses?
0 Replies

videogamefreak

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:12 pm
Hello
I have an IQ of 135..... Very Happy I am 12 years old and entering the 9th grade..... is that good?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 05:55 pm
I have an IQ above 100, and I'm 69 years old. Some people think my IQ is 160, and some people think my IQ is 85 or 90, so the actual must be in between those numbers. I know it's not 160. Wink
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Tue 28 Jun, 2005 08:04 pm
I've never had my IQ tested. I don't care what an invented test has to say about my intellect. In fact, not knowing is kind of exciting - a bit of mystery about myself.

My brother had his IQ tested at 13years and scored 135.
Just knowing had an effect on him. Put him under all sorts of pressure.

Personally, I think that common sense is much more important.

Peace, E
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:19 am
CodeBorg wrote:
I had a theory that everyone has exactly the same intelligence,
but it's just allocated in different ways.

Some people are visual, some emotional, some musical, some experiential. Some people are buried in compassion, while others focus their mind on spatial understandings, or they are taken by their senses rather than abstract ideas. Differences in IQ would then seem to be a function of the test parameters, not the people.

After 20 years, I'm still looking for any evidence that might contradict this hypothesis. Every person I meet is a sheer genius in some way or other.

I agree.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:31 am
safecracker wrote:
well my IQ at last test was 158, My IQ at age 13 (end of grade 8 was 141. I didn't go to college. This leads me to believe it is dependent on the person and not their formal education. As I said before don't base who you are on your IQ.

Excellent observation.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 04:51 am
Asherman wrote:
Everyone has some talents. Some find taking tests easy, but are unable to easily put together a child's bicycle. One loves to read and retains significant portions of what is in the text, others can hear something once and repeat it, or variations on it, years later. We all have visual, aural, and tactile senses, but our ability to use them varies quite allot. A person whose talent is for the abstract may do exceedingly well in mathematics, but be a complete idiot when it comes to understanding human interactions.

IQ tests aren't bogus, but the public's expectations and interpretation of those tests almost always are. IQ tests, and there are a lot of them, each try to quantify some skill set, or set of potentials. They measure a subject at one point in time, and may not necessarily predict what that individual will later accomplish. Some skill sets are if not essential, at least important to success withing certain occupational fields. Surgeons should have really good spatial perception and control over the minute movement of their hands. Blind folks rarely make good painters, or photographers. Don't make more of any test than it is capable of.

IQ, birth, wealth, power, nor fame reveal anything at all about a person's character. I would far rather be associated with a person of limited intellectual capability/promise who is honest and caring than a genius whose mere presence is enough to excite homicidal urges. I've known very bright criminals, and people with advanced degrees who should never have been graduated from high school. Whatever natural resources a person is lucky enough to possess, they still must make good choices. Output is dependant on Input. The brilliant child prodigy may choose to become a railroad bum and never fulfill the world's hopes that they will discover the cure for cancer. A child of only middling talent, but with great desire and dedication, can overcome great hurdles and surprise everyone with their accomplishments. A person's character and what they do with their potential isn't measured by IQ, and those traits are far more important in most cases.

What is most maddening of all is to deal with willful ignorance. The naturally stupid may make terrible mistakes, but in my experience most folks with limited intellectual talent make up for it by trying really hard. Personally, I'm lazy. I try not to be too ignorant, but who knows?

Awesome!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 30 Jun, 2005 09:45 am
safecracker, Many people without college education have more "smarts" than many with PhDs.
0 Replies

Oil Tycoon

Reply Sun 3 Jul, 2005 06:49 pm
Herman Kahn. Google it if you have to.

Deal.
0 Replies

Bakku

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:08 pm
Isn't it funny that everytime an IQ thread opens anywhere on the internet, almost every post says 'IQ doesn't mean anything, it's blah blah blah that matters.'
And then after two more sentences they add, 'According to a test I took in 8th grade, my IQ is 15X."
0 Replies

yitwail

Reply Tue 5 Jul, 2005 05:16 pm
especially funny when the poster seems unaware that IQ scores are relative to age, so a 15x IQ at age 12 is no more impressive than the same score at age 18. (it's certainly less reliable, because childhood and adolescent IQ scores tend to fluctuate more than adult scores)
0 Replies

InCider

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 02:03 am
Hey everybody, not that I know any of you... But this topic looked interesting, so I joined and decided to post. I'm 13, from New York, and my I.Q. is supposed to be 141 (since apparently it's relevant to know that in this thread). I do write all the time, I'm working on a novel right now (only on page 20 or so...), but other than that, I love writing and grammar.
This is my opinion, if anybody's interested:
I.Q. can be a valuable tool in measuring an individual's mental prowess, but it shouldn't be taken seriously down to the number. I.Q.s fluctuate, 5 points may not make much of a difference. You know somebody who's I.Q. is 7 points higher than yours and they seem really smart? Well, likely, if it was (a staggering!) 7 points lower, it wouldn't make much difference, they'd still seem to be a genius (this is the case with a friend of mine, her I.Q. is 3 points higher than mine, but I'm utterly convinced that she's way smarter than me. She can do mathematical equations at least twice as fast as I can, not that that's all that matters anyway).
I mean, indeed, if somebody has an I.Q. 20 or 30 points higher than you, they'll probably seem to be smarter (I say seem to be because of all those Multiple Intelligence arguments).
So, while you're I.Q. is a good thing to know, don't plan you're life around it, even if you're disappointed with your I.Q. score (a common occurence), just make due and do the best you can. Keep living the way you did before you knew your I.Q. (well. . . unless. . . you were. . . you know, a cutter or something).

But most important of all:

Everybody's different, don't hang yourself because you're different too.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 03:28 am
Welcome InCider. That is very wise advice, thank you. What is a cutter?
0 Replies

InCider

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:36 pm
Thanks AngeliqueEast.
A cutter: A person who cuts their skin for fun(?). I wouldn't exactly know WHY because I'm not one. Usually they suffer major depression issues.
0 Replies

AngeliqueEast

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 07:43 pm
Thank you InCider for the information. I have a favorite cousin who is 20 (I'm not married or have children myself), and when he comes over to visit with his friends I noticed that some of his friends have names or initials carved on their arms. Would this be the same thing? They do not suffer from depression that I know of.
0 Replies

InCider

Reply Fri 15 Jul, 2005 11:23 pm
Ehh... Probably not. This could be some kind of tatoo... I also know a guy, he's kinda crazy (not in the insane sense), and he tried to carve the first letter in his name on to his hand. It's not visible to this day, but you could see it for a while. I don't think the aforementioned people are "cutters". And another little bit of information, cutters are often goths (the people who wear all black clothes, long trench coats, dye their hair, etc. in case you didn't know).
0 Replies