Who had the highest IQ ever?

sulatlalaki

Reply Sat 29 Nov, 2008 07:01 pm
William James Sidis, who spoke 8 languages by age 9, graduated Harvard Suma Cum laude at 16, had an I.Q. of 300. Google his bio. Phenomenal.
0 Replies

sulatlalaki

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:27 pm
Most experts in the field of human intelligence agree William James Sidis [pronounced SIGH-dis] had, arguably, the highest IQ, although never officially recorded. It is estimated his IQ was at--or close to--300. He was fluent in Latin (self-taught) by age 3! He spoke 8 languages fluently by age 9, applied to Harvard at age 9, was rejected due to his age, was accepted at age 11, and graduated at 16! He lectured, when he first reached Harvard, at age 11, on "four-dimensional bodies" in a manner that went over the heads of Harvard professors and students alike.

Sidis predicted black holes (again, at age 11) 20 years BEFORE they were acknowledged by the Scientific community! He was praised in his pre-teen years for his brilliance, and later ridiculed because he was brutally honest to the point of rudeness and people eventually considered him to be a freak.

As a result of constant ridicule, Sidis chose a "perfect life" (as he put it) of seclusion, vowing celibacy, as he had no interest in women or girls; he died later in life with a picture of one female he adored, Martha Foley, whose picture he carried until the day he died.

Sidis wrote numerous mathematical and science pieces under pseudonyms, but died virtually obscure. By the time he had died, William James Sidis had mastered over 40 languages! I'd like to know more about Marliyn Vos Savant's achievements and measured intellect and how they measure up to William James Sidis.
sulatlalaki

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:32 pm
@yitwail,
Animals, even at their most intelligent--except, perhaps, for dolphins, are WAY below humans in intelligence quotient. Humans have a divine spark animals don't--and won't--possess; even though in many instances, animals are more noble (and humble) than humans.
roger

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:42 pm
@sulatlalaki,
It's hard to be humble with that divine spark, you know?
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:43 pm
@embaciast,
Quote:
Who had the highest IQ of all time? My dad says it was a woman. Can that be true?

IQ tests were only dreamed up and developed within the last century or so. There is positively no way to know what sort of IQ values anybody would have had in the 1800s and on back.
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 2 Dec, 2008 11:46 pm
@CodeBorg,
There's also the question of physical basis for intelligence.

One obvious difference, the main nervous system connect for humans is obviously eye-brain while for many animals including most dogs, it's nose-brain. Most dogs will miserably fail any sort of a maze test which a rat would pass easily while human sense of smell is too sorry to be of any meaningful use most of the time.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Wed 3 Dec, 2008 02:01 pm
@sulatlalaki,
sulatlalaki wrote:
... He was fluent in Latin (self-taught) by age 3! ...

I call bullshit.

I saw on the Net that he was self-taught Latin by age 2, and Greek by age 3. It was posted on a site called "didyouknowthat.net" so it must be true.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:09 am
@BuissnessLady,
Hey, BusinessLady! Try these "simple facts":

There are a number of standardized IQ tests. The top score varies from test to test... On one, the top score might be 160; on another, top might be 200.

That's why Mensa, the society for intelligent people, admits people who score in the top 2% of any of a number of recognized tests -- one test's 99% score is different from 99% on another test.

Besides, most Mensa members would admit, we test well. That's about the only statement you can positively make about our membership - some are extremely successful, others don't care about that. Some want to solve the problems of the world, some want to party... Some want to do both!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 02:13 am
@sulatlalaki,
"He was fluent in Latin (self-taught) by age 3! "

Have you spoken with a three-year-old lately? They're not "fluent" in their native tongue, much less Latin. Sidis could possibly read the words, but could he understand the poetry and philosophy of the ancient Romans? Could he carry on a conversation? Could he pronounce the words? Three-year-olds have trouble with "squirrel", much less Latin words they've never heard anyone else speak aloud.
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 08:57 am
@Wy,
I think the idea is that he wasn't typical.
Wy

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 09:45 am
@Brandon9000,
Now that I could agree with.

By the way, doesn't "IQ" stand for "Intelligence Quotient" - that is, the amount you are capable of learning, not the amount you know?
Brandon9000

Reply Mon 8 Dec, 2008 10:05 pm
@Wy,
Yes, but the word quotient means the result of dividing one number by another - in this case the mental age divided by the chronological age.
0 Replies

stevej2269

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:40 pm
@New Haven,
Thats a heavy question if you really command the thought the clonee is the cloner go to the fine statutes. Steve
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:33 pm
@CodeBorg,
One thing you notice with animals... The major nervous system connect for humans is eye-brain; with many animals including dogs it's nose-brain. Many if not most dogs will miserably fail simple maze tests which a rat would pass fairly easily.
0 Replies

Mycroft

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 12:48 am
The highest recorded IQ belongs in fact to someone not mentioned here at all, as she is currently 16 and her parents wish to avoid publicity. Her IQ is 262+.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 01:46 am
@Mycroft,
Mycroft? I seem to remember a Mycroft in a Heinlein yarn. Quite a bright young lad, as I recall.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 07:02 am
@roger,
Sherlock's older brother, I believe.
roger

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 01:01 pm
@Merry Andrew,
I suppose Sherlock predated Moon is a Harsh Mistress, then.
Merry Andrew

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:54 pm
@roger,
Yeh, but you'd be right in saying that both Mycrofts were quite bright. In fact, Sherlock told Dr. Watson that his brother was the smarter of the two. Quite a confession for one with the monumental ego of Sherlock Holmes. (The Moon is Harsh Mistress. Good book. A fair dinkum thinkum, too.)
0 Replies

dnniso

Reply Thu 19 Mar, 2009 11:43 am
@JerryR,
it cant be a woman as they have smaller brains than men...it has to be a guy
0 Replies