What are American public schools called . . .

Charli

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 03:18 pm
What are American public schools called in England? Their "public schools" are our "private schools."

Thank you for your help. I couldn't find the answer on ask.com or anywhere else with Google. Smile Smile Smile Charli
[/color]
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 6,578 • Replies: 13
No top replies

George

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 03:48 pm
I believe they are called "state schools".
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 11:25 pm
Asnswering the question as stated, American public schools are called "American public schools" in England. They are also called that in Scotland, Wales, and Northern Ireland, which together with England make up the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

American public schools are funded by the state out of taxation, and do not charge fees. The educational sector in the UK which includes such schools is called the "state sector", and they are often referred to as "state schools".
0 Replies

honey rose cr

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 11:33 am
Gah?!

Do you mean, what do us Brits call American Public Schools?

Or

What is the equivalent of an American Public School in Britain?

Soz if I'm being a dumbass....
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 01:07 pm
honey_rose_cr wrote:
Gah?!

Do you mean, what do us Brits call American Public Schools?

Or

What is the equivalent of an American Public School in Britain?

Soz if I'm being a dumbass....

honey_rose_cr, I see you picked up the same thing I did. I don't think it's you being the dumbass...
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Tue 19 Jun, 2007 04:55 pm
Brit private schools are called "public schools" because they were originally church-sponsored institutions. When they opened their ranks to include ordinary non-seminary students, they were called public schools. That is a simplified version of what occurred but close enough to explain.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 12:32 am
Can I just make something clear? Not all UK private schools are "public schools". Some are just plain private or independent schools. To be a "public school" is usually taken to mean that the school is a member of the Headmasters' and Headmistresses' Conference (HMC). There are 242 such schools.
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:13 am
You are right, of course, Contrex. And to confuse things further, there are the state schools for young students with high marks made on standardized exams, schools for more academically oriented learners...the name of these schools has slipped my mind at the moment.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:24 am
Kara wrote:
there are the state schools for young students with high marks made on standardized exams, schools for more academically oriented learners...the name of these schools has slipped my mind at the moment.

possibly "Grammar Schools"? Some local authorities still run a selective secondary school system with grammar schools. Pupils in these areas will sit a test at the age of 11 called the 11-plus. The results of this test will determine whether they gain entry to the local grammar school. There are around 150 state grammar schools in England.

There is a pretty good description of the specifically English state school system here... (Scotland Wales and NI have somewhat different arrangements) (especially Scotland)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/actionnetwork/A1181792#3
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Wed 20 Jun, 2007 04:35 am
Of course, Contrex. Grammar schools, and then there are the Comprehensive schools. I didn't think I'd ever forget all of that after living seven years in the UK with young children.
0 Replies

Charli

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 08:52 pm
THANK YOU!
Thanks to one and all. I really appreciate the time you've taken to reply and the information given! You do Able2Know proud!!!

Smile Smile Smile Charli

[/color]
0 Replies

Kara

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 07:01 am
Sure, Charli....

Cheers
0 Replies

Adityavarma

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:24 am
I think they are called state board schools.

Setanta

Reply Tue 6 May, 2014 03:30 am
@Adityavarma,
No, they are not.
0 Replies