what d'you call a prince?

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:11 am
I know there's a book that tells you how to address members of the royal family etc. I've looked up the obvious - but say you were out strolling with Prince Someone or other, and you didn't want to address him as formally as Your Royal Highness... ?

"Yes, my Prince," sounds too silly an option.
Would 'Sir' do?

Can anyone give my a clue?

thanks,

Endy
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 23,370 • Replies: 46
No top replies

msolga

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:27 am
Why do you ask, endymion?
You have a meeting with royalty coming up soon?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:32 am
Quote:
As a general guide, when addressing Royalty you do not use the word "you", but instead "Your Majesty" or "Your Royal Highness" in conversation. Generally you would say "I hope that Your Royal Highness would care to look at ......?"

It is also considered 'bad form' to ask pertinent questions, change the subject of conversation, and you should usually wait to be spoken to, before you speak to Royalty.

Addressing Royalty

Her Majesty The Queen:
Your Majesty - Ma'am.

An Emperor or Empress:
Your Imperial Majesty - Sir or Ma'am.

Reigning Monarch:
Your Majesty - Sir or Ma'am.

His Royal Highness The Duke of Edinburgh:
Your Royal Highness - Sir.

Royal Princes; Princesses; Dukes; Duchesses:
Your Royal Highness - Sir or Ma'am.

Reigning (non UK) Princes and Princesses:
Your Serene Highness - Sir or Ma'am.

Indian Prince or Princess:
Your Highness - Sir or Ma'am.

The Aga Khan & The Sultan of Brunei:
Your Highness - Sir.

Introductions:
In all cases, persons are presented TO Royalty, formally. i.e. "Your Royal Highness, may I present Mr. XXX the Chairman of ......?"

http://www.toastmaster-uk.bigstep.com/item.jhtml?UCIDs=979150&PRID=1152841
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 03:44 pm
Except in the case of King George.
0 Replies

sharonjackson

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 05:19 pm
Phoenix's answer is perfectly correct, however, "Yes, my Prince" is kind of wonderful, don't you think? Very Happy
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 05:57 pm
How about calling him Dickhead, cos that just about sums up all of those princes
0 Replies

sharonjackson

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 07:48 pm
Now now now
Aw....come on...don't be so negative. Prince Charles preferred the girlfriend of his teen years to the anorexic trophy bride, he talks to his plants, is very likely a pagan, is giving up the title "Defender of the Faith," since he feels in a multicultural society he shouldn't be defending any particular faith, he deplored ghastly architecture and he promotes tons of charities...he can't be all that bad!!!! :wink:
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:37 pm
"Yes, my prince" just sounds so "Coming to America".
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 08:41 pm
How about, "Good morning, Mr. Windsor." which is courteous, acknowledges that the family changed it's name from Saxe-Coberg Gotha, and dispenses with all of the royalty phoney baloney.
0 Replies

sharonjackson

Reply Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:09 pm
Good Morning Mr. Windsor
Well, that would be acceptable, I guess if you were planning to get rid of the monarchy...which is a system of government some of us prefer. Kind of like what they did to the last Emperor of China...calling hiim Mr. Ching and making him do gardening for a living (or something like that). Anyway, we are back to where we started...probably just as well to call him "sir."
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:47 am
Prince Charles would give Job a severe rectal pain.
I wouldn't even buy him a beer.
He has no understanding of the real world, never done a real days work in his entire life & expects to be waited on hand & foot ad in finitum.
As for defender of the faith, well he defends himself but the rest of us ? Well I don't think so.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Sun 29 Jan, 2006 08:32 pm
Blimey, I didn't expect to see so many posts. There are some very strong feelings flying about here - and everyone's entitled to theirs, so thanks everyone for posting.

Personally I've got mixed feelings about the British royal family. On the one hand, I see them as the privileged rich, cut off from the reality of normal people's lives. I don't believe that they should be worshipped above others, and I think Monarchy as a form of government is as flawed as any alternative and best left behind in our dark history.

On the other hand, the royals keep alive a roaring trade for us in tourism. They do a hell of a lot for charities and many, like Prince Andrew (who I was referring to in my initial post), have seen proper combat alongside the common man (The Falklands *) - giving him at least the right to wear a pilot's togs. :wink:

Mostly, I see it like this: A politician chooses to have power, for whatever motive - but a royal is unable to choose. They are born. Whatever they might turn out like, they didn't ask for any of it. How can I hate someone just for being born?

* Prince Andrew was appointed a Midshipman 1 September 1979 in the Royal Navy.
After passing out of Dartmouth, he went on to elementary flying training with the Royal Air Force at RAF Leeming, Yorkshire, and later basic flying training with the Royal Navy at Royal Naval Air Station (RNAS) Culdrose, Cornwall, where he learned to fly the Gazelle helicopter.
He later converted onto the Sea King helicopter. In 1982, he joined his first front-line unit 820 Naval Air Squadron, serving aboard the aircraft carrier, HMS Invincible.
The Falklands War (1982)
Throughout the conflict Prince Andrew flew on various missions, including Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) and Anti-Surface Warfare search (ASUW), as well as acting as an Exocet missile decoy, helping in casualty evacuation, transport and Search and Air Rescue (SAR).

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/d/d5/Andrew_Falklands_War.jpg/200px-Andrew_Falklands_War.jpg
Prince Andrew (right) The Falklands

oldandknew wrote:
How about calling him Dickhead, cos that just about sums up all of those princes

(This is possibly the worse advice I've ever been given) **

In the case of Prince Andrew - I'd rather call him 'sir' And it really has nothing to do with him being a Prince.
[Thanks Phoenix32890, I did think Sir would do - but wanted to be sure]

And no - I haven't been summoned.

** actually that's not true. There was that thing in 1999!
(don't ask).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Andrew,_Duke_of_York (for sharonjackson) Smile
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:21 am
Perhaps this regal A2K member can advise on the appropriate title for a prince?:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/images/avatars/165581324141e7fbe15303a.gif

He actually is one, ya know!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 12:23 am
That's very funny. Both of us have a twitch! Never realized that before! Laughing
0 Replies

margo

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 02:33 am
I'm with the oakman!

Prince be buggerrrred!

I think Dickhead covers all the available English options, anyway!

And one of them will become King of Australia, when the old dame pops off!

Sheesh!

Down with the monarchy, I say! (but let's keep our A2K Prince G!)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:53 am
Hi Margo -------- Yep, they are all a total embarasment. I don't know why you Aussies don't vote 'em out & go Republic.
A lot of Aussies would go for Ricky Ponting, even if he didn't keep the Ashes.
By the way, I thought the tennis looked pretty good.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 07:57 am
oldandknew wrote:
So you didnt get that mbe after all?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:08 am
ENDYMION wrote:

On the other hand, the royals keep alive a roaring trade for us in tourism. They do a hell of a lot for charities and many, like Prince Andrew (who I was referring to in my initial post), have seen proper combat alongside the common man (The Falklands *) - giving him at least the right to wear a pilot's togs. :wink:...
The most popular attraction in Windsor is Legoland, not the castle. The tourist trade would really be boosted if we guillotined a minor royal once a month. (Working up from the counts and the markesssessses up to dukes lords junior princes....there's a good enough supply)
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 08:34 am
ha ha. ------------- the honours system eh ? Another bone of contention. Sir This, Lord That. It's a lot of selfish nonsence. Ego Trips, bowing & scraping for & by people who are impressed with their own self importance. I can think of a few recent recipients, sportsmen, pop singers who have been rewarded in our royal/political equivalent of the Oscars. If we have an honours system then lets recognise people who do a real service to society.
Success in our work & the help & pleasure we give to others plus the money we earn should be enough recompence for our life's work.
0 Replies

Endymion

Reply Mon 30 Jan, 2006 09:57 am
ENDYMION wrote:

Mostly, I see it like this: A politician chooses to have power, for whatever motive - but a royal is unable to choose. They are born. Whatever they might turn out like, they didn't ask for any of it. How can I hate someone just for being born?

On a scale of fortune, my childhood was on the opposite end to that of a Prince's.
And I may even have reason to gripe about a few things
that my country has seen fit to dish out to me, but I hope that people
wouldn't judge me because of my beginnings.

Rolling Eyes Man, I can't believe I'm doing this - I mean, if I had my way, the rich would be stripped of all their trappings to sort out poverty.

Still, I stand by my thinking that a man (or woman) should be judged not on who they are, but what they do, how they might treat me and others.

I see anything else as prejudice.

I have worked with the homeless (many war veterans) and I know that Prince William's contributions at Centrepoint are not just about him being their Patron. I can honestly say that like his mum before him, he is out there doing some real good for individuals.
More than I can say about myself at the moment.

*uck me, I'm shutting up now.
I'll hand over to Benjamin Zephaniah, who Tony Blair wrote to in 2003.
Blair said that he was thinking of putting forward BZ's name to the Queen - for an OBE
(You guys should get a kick out of this)

"Me, OBE? Whoever is behind this offer can never have read any of my work. Why don't they just give me some of those great African works of art that were taken in the name of the empire and let me return them to their rightful place? You can't fool me, Mr Blair. You want to privatise us all; you want to send us to war. You stay silent when we need you to speak for us, preferring to be the voice of the US. You have lied to us, and you continue to lie to us, and you have poured the working-class dream of a fair, compassionate, caring society down the dirty drain of empire. Stick it, Mr Blair - and Mrs Queen, stop going on about the empire. Let's do something else."

He's right.
But I still wouldn't can a man a Dickhead just because he was born a Prince.
0 Replies