Israel's Shame

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:29 am
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
Sure they will get back their own properties the moment the US return the south west to mexico.

Actually this is Israeli property, not Palestinian property. The notion of the Palestinians "getting their own property back" is a fallacy.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 10:42 am
Quote:
Romeo said: Israel has invaded to destroy Hamas tunnels, but when they've gone back home, Hamas will simply dig new ones, and everybody will be back to square one!
Oralloy said: The blockade will be tightened back up, preventing Hamas from receiving the resources that they will need to construct new tunnels.

I should think they'd be able to get a few shovels easily enough..

PS- regarding the blockade, maybe Israel should tighten it a lot more to keep Gaza in the stone age with only the barest amount of electricity, petrol, food and water etc to keep them alive.
Then if Hamas stops firing rockets, Israel could "reward" them by easing the blockade to allow more stuff through.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 11:57 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I don't think even Mossad would kill their own people to start a war, but I'm sure they'd use it as a pretext. There was no investigation, Hamas was blamed from the onset. From The Independent.

Mossad is completely infiltrated in Hamas and the other militant Palestinian groups. These terrorists cannot take a **** without Mossad knowing about it. Mossad knew all along that it wasn't Hamas. I think that Mossad used their ratters to perpetrate or incite the perpetration of the kidnappings.

These kidnappings were all too convenient for Netanyahu. He used the unification of the Palestinian governments as a pretext to end the latest round of peace talks and then about a month later the teens were kidnapped, he immediately blamed Hamas, started kidnapping them in mass and this latest crisis ensued.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 12:22 pm
Israel continues to believe that it can bomb the Palestinians into submission.

Doubtful.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 12:50 pm
@hawkeye10,
Didn't you know? Since god gave Israel to the Jews, they have god's permission to kill all the Palestinians they want - without any repercussions from god.

They've got it made; they have the support of big, bad, US.
hawkeye10

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 12:56 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

Didn't you know? Since god gave Israel to the Jews, they have god's permission to kill all the Palestinians they want - without any repercussions from god.

They've got it made; they have the support of big, bad, US.

I look at it more like aping the American idiocy that the hammer (in the case bombs) is the right tool for every job, and if it is not working what this means is that you need a bigger hammer.

How many decades has Israel been clinging to the believe that military force will solve their issues with the Muslims? Is it working?

What is that old saw about insanity???
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 01:00 pm
@hawkeye10,
You,
Quote:
How many decades has Israel been clinging to the believe that military force will solve their issues with the Muslims? Is it working?

They've proven to the world that their latest war machine is very effective in killing more children. All while the world sits by and watches this carnage.

Insanity has permeated the whole world; they longer care to fight for what is right.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 01:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:

It is indeed working as far as preventing them from being wiped off the earth with attempts to so beginning in 1948.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 01:14 pm
When muslims get their hands on nukes (it's long overdue), they'll take out Tel Aviv and Israel will respond by taking out every muslim city in the mideast.
After that, things might quiet down a bit..
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 01:41 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
That's an interesting scenario, because when Israel attacks the Middle East with nukes, it'll also impact most of Europe and the world.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 01:45 pm
@cicerone imposter,
And the Jewish legacy goes on....

Quote:
Israel extends temporary truce as Gaza toll tops 1,000

Another temporary truce after the toll tops 2,000, then 3,000, then 4,000......without end until all Palestinians are killed.

Moment-in-Time

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 02:35 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:

That's an interesting scenario, because when Israel attacks the Middle East with nukes, it'll also impact most of Europe and the world.

I'll say. A single nuclear weapon can destroy a city. Nuclear radiation fallout will eventually spread over the face of the earth via clouds filled with rain. Also, using a nuke in the middle east will cause a large part of the area to be uninhabitable for hundreds of years. So one would think it the height of sheer folly to think in terms of a nuke.
InfraBlue

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 03:43 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:
Anyway, arguing in behalf of the Palestinians, when Syria has a more bloody civil war, Iraq is partially under ISIS, Muslim women in the new caliphate will be forced to have genital circumcision, Iran might eventually have a Shia bomb, is all obviously less important, and said with sarcasm, and your focussing on the Palestinians does allow one to enjoy one's retirement better.

Indeed! Oh look, a squirrel!
ossobuco

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 04:16 pm
@cicerone imposter,
No, not the jewish legacy: the present Israel government legacy. The jewish people there and other places aren't a conflation.

Please read this -

http://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/israels-other-war?src=mp

If you don't want to click, I posted the whole thing on the reality thread. Bad move, a Miller thread, but, hey, it was there.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 04:23 pm
@InfraBlue,
Please don't quote Foofie, some of us have him on ignore.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 04:27 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:

The reason I put the term "the Jews" in parenthesis is because of the simplism of the idea of Jews being a monolithic entity, much like the simplism of considering Muslims to be a monolithic entity, which is employed for political expediency . The state of Israel and the Zionists do not speak for all of the Jews of the world, however much their rhetoric serves to further their agenda.

Fair enough.

Quote:
I object to Israel’s status as a Jewish State based on my aversion to ethnocentricity and the oppression of the Palestinians that is necessary to maintain that ethnocentricity of the state of Israel in the name of a demographic majority of Jews. I’m averse to theocracies as well because they also tend to be oppressive.

But you acknowledge, don't you, that Israel is not a theocracy?

I don't see how oppression of Palestinians is necessary to maintain Israel as a "Jewish State." Not granting the Right of Return is not an act of oppression, and, conceivably, a settlement could be worked out that would provide the Palestinians with the majority of their requirements with the continuance of a "Jewish State." Assuming this is possible would you still call for an end (peacefully) to the Jewish State?

One can have an aversion to ethnocentricity without looking to see it rid from the face of the earth, while such an aversion might lead you to oppose the notion of a Jewish State, is it so strong that you feel compelled to call for an end to it?

Quote:
Ethnocentricity in a state tends to be undemocratic when there are other ethnicities that reside in that state, regardless of what form of government they claim to have. With Israel, democracy is implemented to a certain degree in regard to the Arabs living within the green line, but its very own Or Report published at the beginnings of the Second Intifada found that discrimination against the Israeli Arabs was systematic within the Israeli government. This systematic discrimination isn’t surprising considering Israel’s self-designation as "the state for the Jews."

There are many other nations where one ethnicity is in the majority. European nations in particular. Do you consider Sweden or the Netherlands, for example, to be undemocratic? Most nations have difficulties of one sort or the other with ethnic minorities, and, typically, these minorities complain (whether justified or not) that they are suffering in some sense due to their minority status. The fact of the matter is that there are Arab Israelis in the Israeli government and by demographics alone one would not expect them to wield significant influence but they certainly can link with other factions to form blocs. If there is any substantive discrimination, it can, and should, be rectified without changing Israel's status as a Jewish State. It is a Jewish State, not a State Only For Jews.

Quote:
Yeah, the Palestinians can also improve their democratic political structures. Their attempts to reconcile their two major political factions is an indication of this improvement.

I'm not sure I agree with you on this point that the "unification" represents a reform of their government or an improvement. There is literally bad blood between Hama and Fatah, and I don't see the blood feuds that surely resulted from the purging of Fatah in Gaza; by Hamas, to fade away because of an attempt at unification. This is not intended to cast aspersions on Palestinians as a people, (i.e. They are scheming perfidious race) but I can't imagine that the unification attempt is much more than an effort by Fatah to serve ulterior motives, and likewise for Hamas. They still haven't pulled if off though, so we'll see.

Quote:
Not all lobbying efforts are bad, though, regardless of who is lobbying or for whom it’s being done. I object to the lobbying that’s done in the name of Israel to perpetuate its existence as an ethnocentric state that in order to exist necessarily oppresses the Palestinian people.

It all boils down to what you believe to be oppression of the Palestinian people. I would think that the rest, lobbying, ethnocentricity etc is primarily objectionable to you as a means or motivation to oppress Palestinians, and so I return to my previous question, can't Israel exist as a Jewish State without oppressing Palestinians? And this leads to a second question: How specifically does the oppression manifest? What needs to be stopped or started, in your mind, to end it?

I'm for the Kurds having their own independent state as well, but wouldn't that be an ethnocentric "Kurdish State?" Unless, however, the Kurds are willing to forego inclusion in their nation of that part of Kurdistan than lies on the other side of the Turkish border, it is unlikely that they will have their Kurdish State anytime soon. In any case, they effectively have it right now, and came out of the Iraq War in fine shape. I'm sure they don't, for a minute regret that the US invaded and toppled Saddam.

Quote:
If you’re alluding to some scenario of mass genocide of the Jews in Israel were the Right of Return granted to the Palestinian people, yours is a gross non sequitur. It’s based on the smearing of the Palestinians with stereotypes of Islamist bloodlust. You need to get over your prejudices.

You need to calm down. I am not alluding to anything like a bloodbath. If granted the Right of Return tomorrow, the Palestinians wouldn't be in a position to accomplish such a thing even if they all wanted to follow the desires of Hamas and equally bloody minded extremists. As their population grew, however, to a point where they obtained sufficient political power within a democratic framework, the tables would be turned and I seriously doubt that they will be inclined to go to much effort to protect the rights of a Jewish minority. Aside from a sense that there were old scores to settle, and whatever influence the hardliners of today might continue to possess in the future, Muslim States of today are far less inclined to tolerate religious minorities than the one and only Jewish State. I don't think it is exceptionally insulting to the Palestinians as a people to assume that their nation would not be terribly different from other Muslim States in regard to religious tolerance, and since they seem to tolerate undemocratic governance now, I'm not sure why we should expect that they will become enlightened democrats merely by returning to Israel.

Once Palestinians gained political control over Israel, the "Jewish State" would cease to exist, and most of the remaining Jews living there would leave. It would be essentially bloodless but the goal of driving the Jews out of the region will be accomplished.

Quote:
What exactly do you mean by Israel remaining a Jewish State if not the maintenance of a Jewish majority there?

Your response seems to indicate you believe that should the Right of Return be granted, it is a foregone conclusion that Jews will (eventually) no longer be in the majority. I agree which is why I suggested it was an impossible hypothetical, but was just trying to gauge the extent of your antipathy to the concept of a "Jewish State."

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
I really don't believe that all critics of Israel are anti-Semites, not even all of the rabid ones that greatly exaggerate Israel's errors and misdeeds, while greatly minimizing and excusing those of the Palestinians. I suspect that you will acknowledge that at least some segment of Israel's critics are motivated by bigotry though, and that they enjoy the ability to join others in slamming Jews, and getting to feel morally superior while doing so.

Ok.

Finn dAbuzz wrote:
But I can't read your mind, only your comments and, as I wrote, I remain uncertain as to your motivation.

Not that you should care.

Quote:
Well, you certainly care enough to question my motivation for criticizing the state of Israel, and the ideology behind it, certainly, I should care enough to respond to these doubts especially when you bandy about suspicions of racial hatred as being my motivation.

I guess I "care" enough to have made the original comment, but I assure you that it's not something that weighs on my mind, my only reason for ending my post with "Not that you should care," was to put my uncertainty in its proper perspective, and not assume some ridiculous position as your judge.

Obviously you "cared" enough to ask me why I was uncertain of your motivation and I tried to seriously and respectfully respond. I think you've done the same which goes to show we can have very different views on this issue and remain civil in our discussion. Perhaps there's hope for the Israelis and Palestinians Wink

Not that you should care...but I am no longer uncertain about your motivation for criticizing Israel.
oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 07:02 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
I should think they'd be able to get a few shovels easily enough..

That's not going to replace the tunnel system.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 07:03 pm
@InfraBlue,
InfraBlue wrote:
Mossad is completely infiltrated in Hamas and the other militant Palestinian groups. These terrorists cannot take a **** without Mossad knowing about it. Mossad knew all along that it wasn't Hamas. I think that Mossad used their ratters to perpetrate or incite the perpetration of the kidnappings.

These kidnappings were all too convenient for Netanyahu. He used the unification of the Palestinian governments as a pretext to end the latest round of peace talks and then about a month later the teens were kidnapped, he immediately blamed Hamas, started kidnapping them in mass and this latest crisis ensued.

You anti-Semites are something else.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 07:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
Israel continues to believe that it can bomb the Palestinians into submission.
Doubtful.

There are a finite number of Palestinians. Sooner or later the attacks will stop.
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2014 07:05 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Since the Palestinians refuse to make peace, there is no other option left.

It should work out OK. There are a finite number of Palestinians.
0 Replies