Does mob mentality rule A2K?

Lash

Thu 10 Jul, 2014 08:26 pm
@ehBeth,
Would've never guessed that pronunciation.
0 Replies

NSFW (view)
roger

Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:02 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

What's the deal, you think if you are bold enough to be a badass, maybe then she will notice you??

Probably just won't notice.
nononono

Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:12 pm
@luismtzzz,
Quote:
I am new here

Well don't let Glitterbag hear that. According to her, nothing that new members or anyone younger than 150 years old has to say here matters!
nononono

Thu 10 Jul, 2014 11:45 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
nononono wrote:
Is there any logical reason to whitewash members who express unpopular, yet well reasoned ideas?

Name three such ideas.

If I answer this truthfully it will be attacked, but I will give you three examples, no problem.

1) Buttermilk posted a thread about how illogical and irrational it is when women are attracted to dangerous/abusive/violent men. This is a completely well reasoned idea. Being that it's a fact that people like Ted Bundy, The Boston Bomber, Charles Manson, Chris Brown, ect. Have had well documented publicity for the amount of female attention/adoration they've received.

http://able2know.org/topic/248556-1

2) Lot's of Hawkeye points, but one in particular stands out to me as EXTREMELY well reasoned.

Quote:
Just for shits and grins compare how current mens rights leaders are viewed by the establishment with how feminists of the 1950's were viewed by the establishment back then.

" their nuts"

"what are they complaining about, they have it good"

" they are dangerous"

"they should be ignored"

" it is a good thing that most of gender D is not like them!"

" your gender D partner is not like them. right?"

http://able2know.org/topic/245743-10

Hawkeye pointed out that the hatred aimed at the Men's Rights Movement sounds no different than the hatred aimed at feminism back when feminism was a new idea. That's ROCK SOLID reasoning. Take pretty much any negative thing being said about the MRM and compare that to the things said about feminism during it's infancy.

3) Several points I've made

~How the FBI dissociating themselves from the SPLC raises questions as to the validity of what the SPLC considers "hate groups"
~How Eliot rogers never had any connection to the MRM
~How the MRM raises awareness for men's issues and is not hateful
~How feminism is hypocritical
~How firefly and other members are hypocritical and have flat out lied in posts here
~How I've been branded a "misogynist" and a rape apologist without anyone being able to point out my "misogyny" or how exactly I support rape.
~Me continuing to be attacked for making a mistake even after I admitted I made a mistake and took full responsibility for it. And those attacks coming from members who had previously participated in the very same kind of activities themselves.

Just off the top of my head...
glitterbag

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 12:57 am
@roger,
She won't, and I don't think she should engage with him since it's obvious he is smitten and must had such a terrible childhood. I'm not a mental Heath professional, just a wife, mother, grand mother, and Aunt to three wonderful nephews. I don't know how to help boys who become obsessed with grown women. I knew how to deal with them when I was the subject of their fantasies. That was protecting myself, can any of the men here be able to help this boy who is so obsessed with firefly that he even dragged out the urban dictionary to attempt to insult her. What would you do if you were his father? This boy definitely needs help, I'm almost certain he used to post under another name, like many other members do, but he obviously needs male guidance. Can any of you help. I'm worried about him, even though he's a vulgar **** who should have been straightened out well before this. He needs a male figure, because he obviously sees women as sub human.. Kind of like buttermilk, hawkeye and BillRM.

Come on guys, give him some manhood lessons. Please!!!!!! He really needs guidance.
roger

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 01:14 am
@glitterbag,
Actually, I've got a fairly high regard for hawkeye and Bill. Haven't really gotten a feel for buttermilk. They often have alternative viewpoints, but that's not always a bad thing.

Sorry about the manhood lessions. I'm just not the fatherly type.
glitterbag

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 01:43 am
@roger,
That's too bad, since I'm not a man I don't know how to help a youngen his age on why it is so wrong to pull up the urban dictionary to define what the 'c' word signifies. As a humanitarian, I would like him to rejoin civilized society. But if men aren't interested in helping him, I can't muster much effort. Too bad for him.
NSFW (view)
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:04 am
@nononono,
Quote:
full responsibility

What language is that? I seriously doubt anyone here understands what that is.
Thomas

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:11 am
@nononono,
Thanks for your examples, nononono. It always helps to have something concrete to talk about.

nononono wrote:
1) Buttermilk posted a thread about how illogical and irrational it is when women are attracted to dangerous/abusive/violent men.

She didn't stop there, however. If you read her original post, you will see that she then proceeded to claim that this reflects badly on feminism. That part of it wasn't well-reasoned, and so it wasn't closed-minded of Butrflynet, Lash, and others to point out the flaws in Buttermilk's argument.

nononono wrote:
2) Lot's of Hawkeye points, but one in particular stands out to me as EXTREMELY well reasoned.

Really? I see no reasoning at all in the quote that follows this claim of yours. At best, I see some kind of loose, impressionistic association, suggesting Hawkeye's conclusion without actually reasoning for it. In particular, there is no discussion, let alone refutation, of the obvious alternative claim: that the so-called men's-rights movement simply has a weaker case than the women's-rights movement. Moreover, the majority response to Hawkeye's ideas is to refute them with counterarguments. This is as it should be. Disagreeing with Hawkeye does not, by itself, constitute closed-mindedness.

nononono wrote:
3) Several points I've made

Since you provide no pointer to these, I can't really comment on them.

Overall, my own impression along these lines is that many people who promulgate what they think are "unpopular but well-reasoned views" want to have it both ways. On the one hand, they want to heroically speak truth to the power of peer pressure. On the other hand, they get thin-skinned when their opponents, too, exercise their right to speak up and say things the putative heroes do not like. My advice to the heroes: just remember that free speech goes both ways, and chill out about it.
NSFW (view)
coldjoint

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:41 am
@coldjoint,
-3 my, that hit a nerve.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:49 am
@Olivier5,
If you don't want to be disagreed with, avoid the threads that are obviously full of arguments.
Olivier5

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:53 am
@edgarblythe,
That's not the point. I'm fine with a disagreement, but not with people who don't listen to anything you say and just yell at you...
Thomas

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:58 am
@Olivier5,
Olivier5 wrote:
That's not the point. I'm fine with a disagreement, but not with people who don't listen to anything you say and just yell at you...

That's what we have the "ignore" feature for. Just use it, keep bringing up whatever issues you want, and keep talking to those who merely disagree with you.
engineer

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 08:59 am
@Olivier5,
On the Internet, you don't make your arguments to those who are arguing against you. They are likely fixed in their views and won't change. You are debating for those who are reading along and who's minds are not set yet.
Thomas

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 09:05 am
@Olivier5,
PS: How does people not listening and people "yelling" keep you from bringing up a topic? By what compulsion must you refrain from posting about it?
0 Replies

Below viewing threshold (view)
Olivier5

Fri 11 Jul, 2014 09:19 am
@Thomas,
Fair enough. This does not preclude me from stating that such group think behaviors are ridiculous and infantile... Ignore me if you must.