This is more detailed so answer this about MOM AGE 88, AND ME AGE 59

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 11:14 am
JUST TO LET EVERYONE KNOW HOW I DRESS BEFORE YOU READ THE STORY: I WEAR VERY NICE PANTS, WITH A BLOUSE THAT IS SLEEVELESS WITH A LONG SLEEVE BLOUSE UNDERNEATH THE SLEEVELESS TOP, I DRESS CHIC AND ELEGANT. I DO NOT WEAR TANK TOPS, JEANS, OR SKIRTS OR DRESSES. BUT I DRESS VERY FEMININE. IN THE WINTER I ALSO WEAR SLEEVELESS SWEATERS WITH A LONG SLEEVE BLOUSE UNDERNEATH THE SWEATER OR A TURTLE NECK UNDER THE SWEATER.

The other part that bothers me is when she said “I never tell you when you look great”. I am having a lot of trouble with this because I feel as if she is implying that if she doesn’t tell me I look great then she doesn’t think so. HELP

Three Days ago when my mom and I were fighting she said "You used to dress nice, they were expensive". She claimed later on that day she only said it to get rid of me, but she wont admit it now. She also tells me she doesnt have to say what I tell her to say. I said to her today "All you have to do is say 'I only said you used to dress nicely because I wanted to get rid of you, and when I said great I just meant that if I liked something and complimented you that day and not the next you would get mad". She said "I dont have to say what you tell me to say"

STORY:
This happened a week ago: I drove her to do some chores and I said to her 'Are you really putting down my clothes' and in a sarcastic way she said 'Yes I am'. Any way I dropped it and when we finished part of the chores she had one more chore to do so as I was driving her to that chore I decided to ask her again about my clothes and she replied "I would never even tell you if I liked something you were wearing because if I didn’t say I liked what you were wearing the next day you would get upset”. So I teased her about that answer. At the next chore after she finished she said to me in the car after I pestered her a little more "There are some days one looks better than others”, which got me upset and I asked her to clarify and she said "The hair can look better some days than others, one has no make up on”. We said a few other things which made her say "I would never tell you when you look great” (THIS WAS THE LINE THAT GOT ME REALLY ANGRY BECAUSE TO ME THIS IS IMPLYING I DON’T LOOK GOOD UNLESS SHE THINKS SO.
We had some fight at home and we are still not speaking. She got really nasty about how I look, telling me all kinds of nasty things. How would you interpret her "look great” remark

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,772 • Replies: 8
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by lover454
djjd62

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 11:56 am
to quote the most annoying song of the last 100 years

let it go

comfort yourself with the knowledge that at 88 she probably won't be around to annoy you for too many more years
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115
  Selected Answer

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 12:55 pm
@lover454,
To be fair, you know her buttons and you wouldn't let it die. Sometimes there is no subtext in conversation. The correct reply to the initial comment was, "Thankyou!" There was no reason to analyze a compliment for a hidden insult. It looks like you almost badgered her for an insult which see delivered in what seems like frustration.
0 Replies

Germlat

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 01:55 pm
@lover454,
Why do you still care about what mommy thinks of your clothing?
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 02:15 pm
@lover454,
Why are you reposting? You gave some on a ribbon already as having answered your post:

http://able2know.org/topic/248285-1#post-5704177
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 04:27 pm
@Ragman,
I got someone else's rejected ribbon! Poop. My first ribbon and its sort of regifted.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 04:30 pm
@Ragman,
Also, would you please answer some of the questions we asked? Such as, is this a recent change with your mother's behavior, or some life long arguing going on?
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 04:45 pm
@Ragman,
AND my answer isn't anything at all like glitterbags! I feel violated.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 5 Jul, 2014 06:53 pm
I felt bad for you in your first thread, you seemed to really be suffering.

Now, with this one, I'm seeing that all is important to you seems to be about the clothes you wear.

Is that what this is all about, your clothes?

0 Replies