Is it normal to still be supported by your parents after graduating from college

doetwin

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:03 pm
And is it normal to have a hard time finding a job after graduating from college?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 1,738 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:10 pm
@doetwin,
Yes until you get on your feet. And it depends on what you majored in, how high a demand it is for what you are looking for and how flexible you are to take a not so ideal position.

Now granted this was a while ago - but I got a job about 2 or 3 months after graduating college. I lived with my parents until I felt able to stand on my own. I also worked for a temporary agency doing anything they would give me until I secured a permanent job so I would have some cash.

Your college must have a career placement office - have you reached out to them for some help? Have you been willing to take a basic job? Have you reached out to a recruiting agency? All thoughts that could help you secure a job.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:16 pm
@doetwin,
I would think it depends on your major. I graduated in a different time when I had four job offers before I even graduated from college, because I majored in Accounting. This was in the early sixties. Our son graduated summa cum laude in Finance, and couldn't find a job. He earned a Masters in Communication from the University of Texas in Austin with honors, and now works for the university. We still give him some financial support.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:18 pm
@doetwin,
doetwin wrote:

And is it normal to have a hard time finding a job after graduating from college?

Based on the economy today,it is normal. The #1 degree for finding a postgraduation job, is BS in Nursing from an excellent College/University.
If you start your nursing career at age 24 or so, you can expect to work for another 40 or 50 years ( depending on your health). Nurses (BSN) will always be in demand.
cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 28 Jul, 2016 02:22 pm
@Miller,
That's an excellent suggestion. I just looked up the starting salary for RNs in our area, and this is what I found.
Registered Nurse Salary in Silicon Valley, CA
In USD as of Jul 24, 2016
Neonatal Intensive Care Nurse in Silicon Valley, CA $91,000
Psychiatric Nurse in Silicon Valley, CA $81,000
Cardiovascular Nurse in Silicon Valley, CA $89,000
Labor Delivery Nurse in Silicon Valley, CA $91,000
Registered Nurse Salary in Silicon Valley, CA | Indeed.com
0 Replies