Would it make a difference if she was a French immigrant who speaks Finnish in the US?

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 12:03 pm
Would people react different if I described Meko as this, rather than what she already is? People have stereotyped her because she was a Finnish girl that doesn't know English. What if Meko and Kira were French instead?

I did not make up these people, their names, or their personalites. They are breathing, living human beings of Japanese descent from Finland, who immigrated to California. If I said they were French girls who wanted to speak Finnish in California, would people act differently and assume stereotypes, like they already did?

jespah

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 12:27 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
What stereotypes?

I doubt most of us give a damn about their nationalities.

People who do not speak English in the United States will have problems. For absolutely necessary issues (education, the court system, welfare), a translator will be provided, or at least it is within their rights to get one.

You are under no obligation whatsoever to fix these people and their problems. You are not being nice. You are not the white knight here. You are obsessive.

Find a hobby, ferchrissakes.
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 12:49 pm
Leave your neighbors alone! They are not your charges and they don't need you attempting to help them. If they want to learn English or anything else that is up to them and their parent(s) or guardians(s), not you.

If you continue in this manner you could very well be taken in on charges of stalking and/or harassment, landing you in the local pokey.

0 Replies

saab

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 01:16 pm
What do you mean by sterotype her because she is Finnish and does not know English
For heavens sake teach her English instead of all this talk about French and Finnish and Japaneese.
As these two girls do not speak English how can they even know that people sterotype them as Finnish.
If I saw a Asian looking girl the last thing I would think about is that she would be Finnish.
Stop all this - start teaching them English.
All what you are saying about Finland sounds as something someone who does not know about Finland makes up
In Finland the Finnish language is spoken by 92.5% of the 5 million Finns and Swedish by 5,7%. Finland is a bilingual country where Finnish and Swedish are the two languages spoken and are seen as native lanugage.
English whatever British English or American English is spoken and used in Scandinavia as well as the Nordic countries to communicate amongst the countries and with people from other countries.
As these two girls and you too seem to know extreemly little about Finland and Scandinavia you might not even know that they are big exporters of high quality items for all over the world and they have to be able to speak English.
Get it into the heads of those two stubborn and rather stupid girls and stop supporting their unbelievable idiotic ideas.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 01:34 pm
@saab,
Quote:
Get it into the heads of those two stubborn and rather stupid girls and stop supporting their unbelievable idiotic ideas.

If they even exist.
saab

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 01:49 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Just to your information in the year 2004 there were
4689 from Somalia
2655 from UK
2613 from China
1538 from Vietnam
living in Finland amongst all other foreigners.
More from Somalia than UK, so the British influence cannot be that great.
roger

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 03:16 pm
@saab,
I think you owe it to them to learn Somali.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 3 Jun, 2016 03:58 pm
@roger,
made me snort..

not that I am anti-Somalia exactly. Very troubled area.
saab

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 12:43 am
@roger,
The police called me one Saturday asking if I understood Norwegian - it was in Germany - yes they had a criminal who only understood Norwegian and the legal translater was not available.
Here is a very large, very dark Somalian man, who had stolen a creditcard with a white woman´s picture on it and was shopping....hoping noone would notice.
He only spoke Somalian and Norwegian.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 01:46 am
@ossobuco,
There are over 40 000 Somalies in Sweden (2012 there were 44 000) with a population of 10 million compared with little over 4 000 in Finland and a population of 5 million.
Norway has 35 000 and a population of 5 million.
According to a research 11% of the Somalies in Sweden have had experience of racial hate compared with 32% in Finland, 31% in Denmark and an average of 18% of all immigrants from suv-saharian Africa in all EU countries

Victims of criminal offence like attacs, threat and similar things
28% of Somalies in Sweden
49% in Finland
47% in Denmark
33% average of Sub-Saharian Africans in all EU
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 06:49 pm
@saab,
I knew the finnish were racist and evil
ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 07:08 pm
@saab,
Do not assume I am against people from Somalia.
saab

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:05 pm
@ossobuco,
No I do not think you are racist against anybody.

It was more to show how many Somalies there are in Scandinavia.
I added the statistics about racial hate crimes. It is not long ago the Scandinavians and other Europeans were screaming about how awful the Amerians were with segregation. Then when I see this statistics we are not one bit better.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:09 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
I would say that you are negativly obssesed with Finland and Finns and you are also very much against Finns. Just have to look up all the nasty questions you have had here and at Quora. You have a Finland Fobia
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:14 pm
Hey, saab, we agree a lot of the time, now too..
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sat 4 Jun, 2016 11:48 pm
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
As a matter of fact you cannot even count.
4 000 Somalies and under 50% have met racism. That makes around 2000
There are 5 million Finns.
Probably these racial criminal acts are done by the same people over and over again. So 2000 of 5 million is such a small percntage I cannot even count it.
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Reply Thu 9 Jun, 2016 03:52 pm
@saab,
Just like my friends are anglophobic...
I hate stereotupes to begin with.
Could not even fund r&b music in finnish, the results were rock and metal (OF COURSE), gaming (NO DUH), and stuff in English (I KNEW IT)

Not everyone likes rock, metal, gaming, or SPEAKS ENGLISH.
saab

Reply Fri 10 Jun, 2016 05:16 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
You hate stereotypes.....
You are one yourself - only talking about the same things all the time, doing the same things all the time and not once believing anything anybody tells you
xxPhoebeMertensxx

Reply Wed 15 Jun, 2016 08:35 pm
@saab,
I'm pretty sure anglophobia is a thing in Finland.
There's even a Wikipedia page about it!
(http://fi.wikipedia.org/Anglofobia/)
Not all people in Finland speak English, right?
Isn't there a region that speaks Sami instead of English?
saab

Reply Wed 22 Jun, 2016 06:03 am
@xxPhoebeMertensxx,
Noone speaks Sami instead of English.
Sami is the language spoken by the Sami people who live in northern Europé, which includes Finland, Sweden, Norway. and part of Russia
The Sami are the only indigenous people of Scandinavia recognized and protected under theinternational conventions of indigenous peoples, and are hence the northernmost indigenous people of Europe.
Take time to read about them and get in your head that there is much more to Finland than your idea of Anglofobia.

0 Replies