Canada Believes Saddam Had WMD

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 4 Jun, 2004 10:05 pm
blatham wrote:
We canadians want to talk about Paul Martin saying, "Yup...we gonna decriminalize pot cookies."

Some of us Americans would like to hear those words out of GWB.
0 Replies

EdisonJulius

Reply Sat 5 Jun, 2004 12:21 am
septembri wrote:
Edison Julius- You make some good points but I always listen to those who know-the real authorities-the supreme policy wonks- the top of the food chain--the real leaders-

"I have ordered a strong, sustained series of air strikes against Iraq. They are designed to degrade Saddam's capacity to develope and deliver weapons of mass destruction, and to degrade his ability to attack his neighbors."
end of quote

President Bill Clinton, Dec. 16th 1998 in his

pre-emptive, unapproved by the Congress, strike at Iraq.

How can anyone fault Bill Clinton?????

Interesting points, however I say its important to consider what you lie about.

Clinton did not invade. He only bombed a couple of buildings. Desert Fox from your quote was to degrade his ability and get inspectors back into Iraq per his disarmament agreement, Clinton and Bush succeeded the inspectors were back in Iraq and they were compling according to the UN.

The United Nations' top two weapons experts (Hans Blix & Mohamed ElBaradei) said Sunday that the invasion of Iraq a year ago was not justified by the evidence in hand at the time http://edition.cnn.com/2004/US/03/21/iraq.weapons/

My quote from Blix and El Baradei said Bush was not justified invading per the UN resolution and had no basis or facts given to the world. Clinton only said that Saddam was a threat and that was never in dispute. Clinton said that Saddam must agree to inspections and that was never in dispute. Clinton never said Saddam 'has' WMD, he only said that Saddam left unchecked was dangerous. I agree with Clinton here. We need to follow truth in these matters of WMD in the future we can't have somebody like Bush arbitrarily deciding for himself who is evil and who is good, like some TEXAS LYNCH MOB.

Bush had inspections, including interviews out of the country of scientists.
Bush had no WMD stockpile smoking gun as Kennedy had of the Cuban missle Crisis, Bush invaded on exaggeration and deciet.

"An Iraq war would be a defeat for humanity and would be neither morally nor legally justified," the Pope told Bush in a papal message delivered last week by a special envoy. "It is an unjust war."
endquote

It does bother me that Clinton didn't seek more support from Congress and I do fault him for that (I think presidents should always try and not stray from the constitution so much).

Our founding fathers gave congress the power to declare war not the executive branch for fear of people like Bush.

Congress did not declare war on Iraq they only gave bush authority to use force at last resort (which is a disturbing blank check, seems almost unconstitutional to me) and according to the UN Bush did not use force at last resort.

As far as believing the guys at the top vs. the WEAPONS INSPECTORS, I WOULD FAR MORE BELIEVE DAVID ALBRIGHT WHO SAID IT WELL:

DAVID ALBRIGHT (UN WEAPON INSP) There were robust debates among people who gathered info but somehow as it went up higher in the chain of command, finally reaching White House, there was SELECTIVE use of info.

I too am somewhat of a technician and I have seen many managers go into meetings and just blow smoke out their ends because they had little real understanding what they were talking about. I give managers credit for their attempts to understand complex issues, but Bush was talking about full invasion and WAR, not just another Bombing raid that as General Zini said they were bombing Saddam every day at will for years in the no fly zone containment.
0 Replies

septembri

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 02:23 am
Edison Julius:

I am sure that you are aware that Speech Writers for the President are professionals in every sense of the word and that EVERY WORD of a president's speech is very carefully considered.

You said that "Clinton never said that Saddam has WMD's"
I would invite you to read Clinton's December 16th 1998 speech very closely. I have done so several times. I will quote from the speech. Please note that the Capitalization is mine( for emphasis)

"First, without a strong inspection system, Iraq would be FREE TO RETAIN and begin to rebuild its chemical, biological, and nuclear weapons in months, not years."

You cannot retain something that you do not have.
0 Replies

septembri

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 02:26 am
And Edison Julius, you might be interested in checking on the report given by Mr. Kay, who was supposed to search for WMD's in Iraq.

The left wing says: well, Kay did not find WMD's in Iraq so that means that Saddam never had any.

That is not the conclusion that Kay came to in his report. In fact, if you read his report thoroughly, Kay gives several instances in which Saddam was indeed in willful violation of UN guidelines.
0 Replies