Can you liberals defend this???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:10 pm
This is an interesting thread.

The original posting seems to be an ill considered expression of outrage, which guaranteed that the ensuing discussion would amount to little more than a piling on of offended members. If, as has been frequently suggested, the original posting was so blatantly idiotic, why has it been necessary for so many members to repeatedly expound on its idiocy?

It might have been an even more interesting thread if Mysteryman had opened it with something to the effect of: "Take a look at this website. I find it appalling, but I am interested in how A2Kers, who identify themselves as Liberals, might react to it."

Personally, I believe that many (if not most) Liberals who might respond to such a phrased question would express support of free speech and oppossing points of view, and that some might even suggest it is an important expression of a position that is an alternative to flag waving militarism. Of course we'll never know because the original posting was, in essence, an attack that, apparently, could not be ignored.

Not unexpectedly, the outrage over mysteryman's hyperbolic generalization about liberals contained a hyperbolic generalization about conservatives for which the cover of irony cannot be claimed: Conservatives don't oppose the torture of prisoners.

Clearly there is no requirement of A2K Liberals to defend conservative members against hyperbolic generalizations. One would think, though, that if the overwhelming negative reaction to the original posting was generated by a sense of fair-play and not ideology, the posting that insulted conservatives would have receieved a similar volume of criticism.

Instead we find this rather anemic defense of conservatives: "Suggesting that liberals in general would approve of such garbage is even more ridiculous than suggesting conservatives in general approve of prisoner torture." (And this by a member who can't believe anyone might consider him a liberal).

It would also have been interesting to see the reaction to a thread that began with a similar hyperbolic generalization, but this time directed against conservatives. (If such a thread already exists, please point me in its direction).
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:21 pm
Shocked LOL Finn, check out some of my posts and then come back and tell me you think I'm liberal. My response was 2-prong, addressing both sides that had strayed too far from reason. Be careful you don't fall off that high horse and hurt yourself.

Well, I do know one member of A2K who is so filled with hate, that he tells lies about our soldiers (I guess the thought that our soldiers might do something good was just too much for him, so he had to poison the image), but he is the exception, not the rule. You still haven't apologized for your overbroad insults. Being liberal doesn't make someone bad. Why, some of my best friends are liberals.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:34 pm
An unfortunate blurting out of vitriolic nonsense is something every one of us has to shoulder from time to time on any forum. It is not always against the TOS but if it is an one is familiar with it, please click on the report button. The moderators are a healthy mix of conservatives, liberals and centrists.

It does make one wonder if someone is hitting the bottle at the time thus making it seem more like someone swaggering into a bar to pick a fight. They know exactly the response they are going to get.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:36 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Shocked LOL Finn, check out some of my posts and then come back and tell me you think I'm liberal. My response was 2-prong, addressing both sides that had strayed too far from reason. Be careful you don't fall off that high horse and hurt yourself.

Maybe thou protests too much? I never claimed you were liberal, and, in fact, pointed out that you claimed you were not.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
You still haven't apologized for your overbroad insults. Being liberal doesn't make someone bad. Why, some of my best friends are liberals.

What overbroad insults?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:40 pm
That line was directed at the author of the thread. My bad, for not making that clear.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 01:43 pm
Mysteryman, what was your goal in the original post? What were you wanting?
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 02:17 pm
Lightwizard
Lightwizard, my comments were made in frustration at some posters who insist on turning so many posted topics into pissing matches. It is so boring for everyone else to have to read response after response of "it is, no it isn't, it is, no it isn't.

There are better ways, we all know there is, but we insist on playing this stupid game.

BBB Drunk
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:25 pm
Cephus wrote:
mysteryman wrote:
I can go to the official john kerry web site and find several posts attacking the soldiers,I can go to the democrat underground site and find posts attacking the troops,I can refer you to posts on this site that attack the troops.All of those posts made by people that claim to be democrats/liberals.

Depends on which troops you're talking about. If you're talking about the idiots who were abusing Iraqui prisoners, they SHOULD be attacked! If you're talking about Bush and this ridiculous war of his, he SHOULD be attacked.

And I'm a conservative Republican!

I've yet to see anyone attack all soldiers, simply because they exist.

I can show you statements made on A2K,directed at me,when I returned from Iraq,stating that soldiers should be shot on site,that all soldiers were scum,and that every soldier that was killed deserved to die.
That comment was made by a person here that called himself a liberal/democrat.
Some of the people in this discussion will remember that whole incident.

Finn,
it has always been that way.Liberals can make a generalization like I did,and its ok and accepted.But,let a conservative make the same generalization,and its wrong,mean,evil,whatever adjective you care to use.
I have learned to expect that anytime I say anything that upsets their applecart.

L.R.R.
I wanted the Libs to come out and condemn that site.But they havent,they have attacked me instead,because they dont like the way I worded my opening.

Bill,
I never said being a liberal made anyone bad. You are saying it,but I never said it,and never will.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:32 pm
Ah, I see. Smile
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:35 pm
mysteryman paints wityh an extremely broad brush.
0 Replies

L R R Hood

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:44 pm
Quote:
I can show you statements made on A2K,directed at me,when I returned from Iraq,stating that soldiers should be shot on site,that all soldiers were scum,and that every soldier that was killed deserved to die.
That comment was made by a person here that called himself a liberal/democrat.
Some of the people in this discussion will remember that whole incident.

I have seen and heard this going on a lot in the past year. I just don't get it. As I mentioned before, I remember rocks being thrown at the soldiers, and I thought it was rediculous. Joining the military is voluntary, I know, but once your in you have to go wherever your sent... whether you support it or not. I imagine people don't understand that, but there's no excuse for not understanding it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:48 pm
I would bet that anyone with the attitude that soldiers are scum and ought to be shot did not last long on a2k. A link would be helpful.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:53 pm
Yes, mysteryman, please post a link to an A2K thread where these statements were made regarding soldiers. My guess is that the individual has already been banned, warned or just left. However, a link would be helpful, as that sort of behavour is not tolerated here, especially if the comments were directed at you personally.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:57 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I would bet that anyone with the attitude that soldiers are scum and ought to be shot did not last long on a2k. A link would be helpful.

I'll second that request for a link. Provide it, and I'll stand beside you in that argument, without hesitation. Still, that wouldn't excuse your behavior and accusatory tone here.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 04:58 pm
Okay, I third the request.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:25 pm
Re: Can you liberals defend this???????!!!!!!!!!!!
mysteryman wrote:
I just stumbled across a web site called AmericasDumbestSoldiers.com
and it disgusted me.
Are you liberals/leftists so full of hate that you can actually post this garbage.
It is not a website about the jerks that committed the crimes in the prison,it is a list of the American soldiers KILLED in Iraq.
Do you liberals hate so much that you have to post this garbage? Are you that full of hate?

This is a gross generalization. And, as generalizations go, this one is inordiantely retarded.
0 Replies

IronLionZion

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:26 pm
mysteryman wrote:
The site I found is a site designed to do one thing,insult the memories of the dead soldiers.
Since it is the left that has stated a hatred of the war and denigrated everything about the war,it is a fair supposition to say that the left is responsible for that site.
I did not insult anyone on A2K,I specifically asked if anyone on the left could defend it.
I notice that instead of being outraged or shocked about that site,several of you have attacked me for asking the question.
So,I must assume that some of you think the site is ok,and are upset with me for revealing it.
There is no other way some of your statements can be read.
As for me being a liberal,I am proud to say I am a conservative.Yes,I do admire Thomas Jefferson,but I dont think he would be a liberal,not by todays definition of the word.

AND IT'S A GENERALIZATIONS BONANZA!!!
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:40 pm
o.k, o.k., i'll condemn it!

it's official!
oops but then i'm not "a liberal", like most human beings, i'm too complicated for that!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 05:50 pm
"I did not insult anyone on A2K,I specifically asked if anyone on the left could defend it."

Actually, what you specifically asked was "Can you liberals defend this," which is very different from "can anyone on the left defend this." Perhaps that is why you have raised some ire with this post.

Finn D'Abuzz wrote: "It might have been an even more interesting thread if Mysteryman had opened it with something to the effect of: "Take a look at this website. I find it appalling, but I am interested in how A2Kers, who identify themselves as Liberals, might react to it."

I agree, this would have been a better approach. However, the way the original post was stated did indeed kill this thread before it had a chance.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 06:04 pm
That's the thing about the right Cav, they come on strong and then end up burying themselves by tripping over their own arrogance.

All you have to do defeat them is give them time....and they do all the work for you........ :wink:
0 Replies