Can you liberals defend this???????!!!!!!!!!!!

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 08:53 am
Thanks Perception. I just sometimes can't help myself. And now back to my calculator and Excel..why couldn't I have been born rich?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:06 am
perc

$100 dollars worth of wine would last me about four years.

But I thought a little tour of the great American midwest in order. Heart of Darkness, and all that.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:21 am
Foxfyre wrote:
BPB, I wasn't attempting to win over anybody. I was making an observation. I could have added that most liberals could not even accept such a challenge without attacking the messenger. Smile

(But my Dale Carnegie training prohibited me from making that addition.)

and drawing a conclusion....a derogatory one...Stevie Wonder could see that.....or do you not say in plain english that most liberals are incapable of expressing a true assessment of what conswervatives believe without resorting to name calling, while conservatives are capable of doing so about liberals.

Please, for the sake of we great unwashed and ignorant liberals, and for the entertainment of perception, explain in detail the meaning of your post, because I could have sworn you were taking the high ground and attempting to talk down to us...........again. :wink:
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:27 am
Actually Perc, the Midwest is a great place to buy wine. Some of the better bottles go unsold for several years because of price, so the shopkeepers tend not to raise the prices to the current market price. And don't be afraid to bargain with them! Owner/operators, in some locations can be pretty motivated! There is a liquor store in Waukesha, WI where I once picked up 5 consecutive years of Opus One (apparently their annual allotment), all for the exact same price (should say stole?). He's not budging on the price for beer, though. :wink:
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:45 am
BPB I meant exactly what I said in my post.

It was in response to C.I.'s comment: "Conservatives will never understand liberals" and Finn's response: "Ahh, but will Liberals ever understand conservatives?" and "I'm glad you're an independent/moderate too, for if you called yourself a conservative, you might never understand Liberals."

It has been my experience that most liberals cannot objectively define the conservative point of view but will rather state all the 'evil things' that they believe conservatives to be or will list the 'wrong things' that conservatives say or do and will generally do that with derogatory adjectives, adverbs, and innuendo. And, when that observation is made, they cannot dispute it but will attack the messenger for suggesting it.

I point out that I refer to 'most' as opposed to all liberals. I do know a few liberals who could and would capably rise to a challenge to define their convictions and could also define opposing conservative convictions without being uncomplimentary in any way.

I actually think if a constructive debate could be conducted without the mudslinging, liberals and conservatives might find they are closer in viewpoint on many issues than either will otherwise admit.

And yes, I do believe conservatives understand liberalism better than most liberals understand conservatism.

I'm sorry if you feel this is 'talking down' to you.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 09:47 am
Foxfyre wrote:
BPB I meant exactly what I said in my post. .

edited less the ersatz righteous indignation.......
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:15 am
blatham wrote:
perc

$100 dollars worth of wine would last me about four years.

But I thought a little tour of the great American midwest in order. Heart of Darkness, and all that.

Blatham old Pal

I don't buy the "Heart of Darkness" bit. It could qualify as the center of cultural stagnation but of course it is all relative to the center of the universe VanCouver BC. Are you on a mission to correct your twisted perceptions of America?
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:26 am
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Actually Perc, the Midwest is a great place to buy wine. Some of the better bottles go unsold for several years because of price, so the shopkeepers tend not to raise the prices to the current market price. And don't be afraid to bargain with them! Owner/operators, in some locations can be pretty motivated! There is a liquor store in Waukesha, WI where I once picked up 5 consecutive years of Opus One (apparently their annual allotment), all for the exact same price (should say stole?). He's not budging on the price for beer, though. :wink:

Bill
Thanks for the tip on expensive wine-----actually I'm from "small town" Washington state where they now produce some fine white wine (eastern wash) where the climate is excellent for growing the grapes. Over time I expect them to refine the process and the soil conditions to the point where they can produce some world class wine.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:34 am
Isn't Washington State rather damp? Perhaps eastern Washington is drier? I'm not sure what our hot, dry desert air has to do with it, but here on the desert of New Mexico, we have wineries producing some quite excellent wine that I believe can compete with anybody.
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:39 am
I want to make a general comment to all currently on this thread-----what a relief to find a brief moment away from all the lowest levels of human nature that exist elsewhere on this forum. Thanks
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:48 am
Actually Foxfyre, Wash is cut in half by a range of high mountains which take most of the moisture out of the air as it passes over. The resultant climate on the other side is very pleasant----not too hot and low humidity.

Interesting about New Mexico----didn't know you made any wine there. Well this is making the US less and less dependent on France and Germany. Now if we could just become independent from the ______ Arabs, I would die happy.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:49 am
I'm stuck on Chilean Merlots and in California, St. Francis Vineyards Merlot (which Sam's Club stocks).
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:51 am
Foxfyre wrote:
Isn't Washington State rather damp? Perhaps eastern Washington is drier? I'm not sure what our hot, dry desert air has to do with it, but here on the desert of New Mexico, we have wineries producing some quite excellent wine that I believe can compete with anybody.

fox

The essential factor here is whether one is west or east of the various mountain ranges running parallel with the Rockies. Everywhere west of them, the climate is sub-tropical rainforest (thus the lush forests). East of them and there are areas almost as dry as New Mexico, and that's where BC's main grape growing area to be found (Okanagon Valley).

Vancouver's climate is pretty much identical to Seattle's, but we are right up against the mountains while Seattle isn't, so there's a rainfall difference. And we are WAY prettier.
http://waves.apple.com:81/people/jav/Images/AW/Vancouver.JPG

Note on the left corner where the building end and Stanley Park begins...I'm two blocks up from there. In summer, I toss my kayak over my shoulder, walk it down to the bay, and paddle up around the park or under the bridge you see.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:54 am
I have only been to Seattle and honestly had not given a great deal of thought to the climate of eastern Washington Smile

I adore Vancouver. It is truly one of the bright spots on the planet.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:56 am
Discovery HDTV just had an hour travelogue of British Columbia and many of the aerial shots were over Vancouver. I've had art clients in your fair city -- nice people (okay, so they spend big bucks).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:56 am
And, as usual, Blatham is stretching things a bit. Very Happy Shocked
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 10:59 am
perc

If I am in Vancouver when you visit, and if you have a couple or three hours, and if the weather cooperates, I'll take you out kayaking. Have to be a bit cautious of the weather, as I went out one day in a five foot swell and I got MOIDERED!
0 Replies

perception

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:04 am
Blatham

Thanks but no thanks-----I am an absolute coward when it comes to anymore water than a shower. Now if you want take me on your 200 ft yacht, sprinkled with lovelies, I'm a buyer.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:05 am
Perc

No problem. We can go rock climbing instead.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Wed 19 May, 2004 11:07 am
Kayak + 5 ft. swells = The Perfect Storm

Glad you survived.
0 Replies