Does "dung pit" sound native?

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 07:07 am

Got this dialogue from Google:
A. You should take a look at the outhouse. B. Maybe she fell into the dung pit?

View best answer, chosen by oristarA
Nark Mobble

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 07:09 am
No but **** pit has a certain savoir faire.
tsarstepan

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 07:19 am
@oristarA,
Never heard that term in casual conversation or in satirical context either.

Could it be considered native in NYC? Nope. In the United States overall? Nope. In the Appalachian mountains and the deep southern states of the US? Maybe??
McTag
  Selected Answer

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 09:19 am
@tsarstepan,

Dung is usually heaped up. A dung heap, then.

A slurry pit is more usual. Semi-liquid animal waste is slurry.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 09:21 am
@Nark Mobble,

Quote:
No but **** pit has a certain savoir faire.

An attempt at a joke perhaps, but your knowledge of French is lacking quelque chose.
chai2

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 09:50 am
I would call it a cesspit.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:07 am
@oristarA,
It's certainly a possibility, Ori.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:13 am
@oristarA,
No.
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:19 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Says Dung Pit Dave, the idiot who knows next to nothing about English.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:20 am
@McTag,
But it does have a je ne se quoi.
Nark Mobble

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:22 am
@McTag,
As we say in Wales, **** you.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:30 am
Septic pits are dug to collect pet stool. One may correctly call them dung pits.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:15 am
Im going with dung heap, at least in the US. I've just never heard anyone say dung pit. If you live in an area where you're not hooked up to public water or sewer systems, you install septic tanks. This usually happens in older communities livening near bodies of water. I live in Annaplis and if you looked at google earth you can see all the rivers, streams, and of course the Chesaepeake Bay. Being so close to the waterways our county didn't invest in public utilities, except electricity and phone lines. 50 years ago, most of this property was being farmed and it didn't make sense to prepare for new housing developments. (Big miscalculation)

But that's my understanding of the 'dung pit' question. What sounds normal to my Anerican ear is, dung heap, cess pool, garbage pit, and of course they all refer to different things. There may be other terms that I'm forgetting about now, maybe other folks know other terms.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:31 am
Cesspit or septic tank.

Personally, I would have said "maybe she's fallen down the hole".
JTT

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:35 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:

Gee, imagine that, ENLs can make personal choices about their language.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:38 am
@Nark Mobble,

Quote:
As we say in Wales, **** you.

Delboy Trotter, he could use pidgin French and make it funny. Keep trying.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:53 am
@Lordyaswas,
Lordyaswas wrote:

Cesspit or septic tank.

I've heard people say, do you think she fell in?, while waiting for someone spending way too much time in the little girls room. Or when they return, react in mock relief, and say"oh thank God, we thought you fell in"
Lordyaswas

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 11:56 am
@glitterbag,
Absolutely.

When we were kids, my dad used to knock on the door sometimes and ask if we needed a plunger.
glitterbag

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 12:10 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Kids in bathrooms, how hard is it to replace the roll. I was always hounding my teenager to replace the roll when it was empty, he apparently was not tuned to pick up my frequency. On one particular day, after finding 2 bathrooms without toilet paper, and also finding 8 cans of soda opened but not empty, when son arrived, asked what were we having for dinner, I told him and then I said "oh, by the way, I had the engineers in today", now I have his attention, he said what did they do?, so I told him I had to have fresh rolls of toilet paper replaced in two bathrooms and search for and dispose of the 8 semi-full cans of flat soda scattered around the house.

It worked for awhile.
oristarA

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2014 03:54 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:

Kids in bathrooms, how hard is it to replace the roll. I was always hounding my teenager to replace the roll when it was empty, he apparently was not tuned to pick up my frequency. On one particular day, after finding 2 bathrooms without toilet paper, and also finding 8 cans of soda opened but not empty, when son arrived, asked what were we having for dinner, I told him and then I said "oh, by the way, I had the engineers in today", now I have his attention, he said what did they do?, so I told him I had to have fresh rolls of toilet paper replaced in two bathrooms and search for and dispose of the 8 semi-full cans of flat soda scattered around the house.

It worked for awhile.

Well, it is rather hard to catch the nuances when I read this post of yours.

1) Does "tuned to pick up my frequency" mean "was able to keep my pace"?
2) Does "soda" mean "a sweet drink"?
3) Does "I had the engineers in today" mean "I've brought some engineers home today to be with us"?
4) Does "flat soda" mean "the soda drink can has no pressure"?