Is the Shia/Sunni War Good for Israel?

Reply Sun 15 Jun, 2014 05:44 pm
Opinion from the experts is all over the place on this, all the way from this is a dream come true because the Muslims will be too busy fighting themselves to pay any attention to the Jews to this is their worst nightmare because eventually the instability and trained Islamic fighters will swamp and kill Israel.

What say you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 1,617 • Replies: 10

Foofie

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:40 pm
In my opinion, that I actually heard on radio, Israel might get dragged into the fighting, due to the fact that they are at peace with adjacent countries, such as Jordan. And, if Jordan becomes destabilized, it might behoove Israel to assist?

The immediate problem is that the U.S. might be siding with the Shia in Iraq, and that might upset the Sunni Saudi Arabia. One radio pundit said that the cost of gasoline could go up? Plus, if Iran decides to help fellow Shia in Iraq, the U.S. might have to act like Iran is then a friend (think Stalin in WWII).

Regardless, one might just want to sit back and watch the two or three or four sides fight it out into perhaps extra innings. At least here in the U.S. we can just turn our rally caps upside down.
engineer

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm more towards the latter. Israel benefits from stable governments where people can be counted to work towards their best interests and radical factions can be contained. Look at how Israel responded to the collapse of the government in Egypt. While the US and Europe are cheering the Arab spring, Israel is throwing up red flags. The biggest loser in a radicalized Middle East is Israel.
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 01:54 pm
@Foofie,
Quote:
if Jordan becomes destabilized,

IF? You are obviously behind on the news.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 16 Jun, 2014 02:20 pm
@engineer,
Quote:
The biggest loser in a radicalized Middle East is Israel.

Israels recent misadventures in Lebanon have to give pause, the advanced fighters and Nukes are of limited use against ten thousand gorilla fighters who want to die, and the military has not been good at small unit combat lately.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:45 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Israels recent misadventures in Lebanon have to give pause, the advanced fighters and Nukes are of limited use against ten thousand gorilla fighters who want to die, and the military has not been good at small unit combat lately.

Have you been watching Planet Of The Apes?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 06:26 am
Gorilla fighters . . .

http://cache.reelzchannel.com/assets/content/general/planet-apes-prequel-blog.jpg
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Tue 17 Jun, 2014 04:56 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey9tExYbjm8

It's good for everyone, apparently...?
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 11:55 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Quote:
The biggest loser in a radicalized Middle East is Israel.

The biggest losers in the Middle East are "women's rights." The second biggest loser in the Middle East, in my opinion, is Western hubris.

You might have meant "guerilla fighters," not "gorilla fighters"?

hawkeye10

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2014 12:20 pm
@Foofie,
I trained as an engineer back 30 years ago, we were not expected to be able to spell.
Foofie

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2014 10:50 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I trained as an engineer back 30 years ago, we were not expected to be able to spell.

The correct reply would be a "thank you" for the correction, in my opinion. Your career time-line is not of interest to me. But, since my job experience did expect me to spell correctly, I thought I would be magnanimous, and share my expertise.
0 Replies