Muslim Org Threatens 'South Park' Creators With ... Death ... Again

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 01:14 pm
Check out the link for the article:

http://tv.yahoo.com/south-park/show/492/news/tv-news.en.reuters.com/tv-news.en.reuters.com-20100422-us_southpark_muslims

What!? An Islamic group offended by a pop culture reference? How will they react? "SILENCE!!!! ... I KILL YOU!!!" And this organization is an American one. Jeez, great to see that that tolerance, sophistication, and maturity is rubbing off.

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 02:15 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOXCAKL9ESc

I love Achmed. LOL
dlowan

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2010 04:44 pm
@Bella Dea,
I think this a seriously interesting discussion on the issue.

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is a fascinating woman

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayaan_Hirsi_Ali

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 06:22 am
I'm not saying it isn't serious. But a lot of people take things WAY to seriously.

I still love Achmed.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:47 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

Just watched it, Deb, & I agree with you.
Thanks for posting it.
dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:27 am
@msolga,
msolga wrote:

Quote:

Just watched it, Deb, & I agree with you.
Thanks for posting it.

I have been trying to figure out a way to join together about this..as she suggests....most obviously now with the South Park people. I have been trying to register for their site to leave supportive comments for them, but can't get in!!! Hopefully because millions of people are doing the same!

I wonder if Avaaz or some other large body might get involved.

Do you have any ideas, you're an activist!

That discussion came from a tweet from Monger, by the way.
msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:48 am
@dlowan,
Well thank you, Monger! Good, thoughtful stuff.

Off the top of my head, Deb, I'd say start with a bit of Googling till you land something that gets you where you want to go.

How about starting with Ayaan Hirsi Ali? Or Ayaan Hirsi Ali and south park?

Bet that'll lead you in the right direction.

Scary stuff this, isn't it?

0 Replies

Irishk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 09:33 am
A response by Ayaan Hirsi Ali can be found here.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 02:15 pm
@dlowan,
There's this:

http://andrewsullivan.theatlantic.com/.a/6a00d83451c45669e20133ece4af8f970b-550wi
Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:17 pm
@Lusatian,
Lusitan wrote:
What!? An Islamic group offended by a pop culture reference? How will they react? "SILENCE!!!! ... I KILL YOU!!!"

http://images.buddytv.com/articles/South_Park/Images/kenny_mccormick_southpark.jpg

Those Bastards!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:28 pm
Popping in for a look on Saturday morning: terrific posts, Irishk, soz & Thomas!
Irishk

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 05:50 pm
@sozobe,
For those of us that can't draw...

http://amorphia-apparel.com/imgproduct/stick.jpg
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:27 pm
@msolga,
Cool it, Futurewoman! It's still Friday evening on the real side of the planet.
msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:33 pm
@Thomas,
Smile G'day, Thomas.

How's it going , then?

I have it on excellent authority that my side is the right side. You are just backward, slow, I'm afraid.

(Don't wanna derail this thread. Just saying good morning to you!)
Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:35 pm
@msolga,
MsOlga wrote:
I have it on excellent authority that my side is the right side. You are just backward, slow, I'm afraid.

Maybe we should kill each other over this, just to get back on topic.

msolga wrote:
(Don't wanna derail this thread. Just saying good morning to you!)

Thank you. And what a nice spring evening it is!
msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 07:59 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Thank you. And what a nice spring evening it is!

I'm delighted for you, Thomas. The temperature here & there are probably roughly the same! (You call that spring?) Wink

Frantic effort to get back on topic now!:

You know what I find really depressing about these threats made at anyone who dares take the name of Mohamed in vain? The fact that many Muslims see this sort of thing as quite abhorrent & totally against their own interests, especially within western countries. I live & also work in 2 different communities, both with high Muslim populations. I doubt very much that many would agree with such extreme threats, yet they appear to confine their discussions to within their own (Muslim) communities. They don't speak out publicly against the crazy extremists. (Possibly because of fear of criticism from their own communities.) The way it's been described to me (by Muslim fellow workers) is that there's a sort of "internal battle" going on withing their broad community. Between the rigid conservative extremists & those with much more enlightened views. The trouble is, as I see it, is (though more are now speaking out) , the public silence suggests that there's an agreement with the extremists, whereas there isn't really. I think we often make the mistake of seeing all Muslims as holding one unified attitude. The reality is very different, with a lot of different shades of grey between different countries & also within particular communities.
msolga

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:14 pm
@msolga,
Oops! I meant to say:

The fact is that many Muslims see this sort of thing as quite abhorrent & totally against their own interests, especially within western countries.

0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:22 pm
@msolga,
msolga wrote:
I doubt very much that many would agree with such extreme threats, yet they appear to confine their discussions to within their own (Muslim) communities. They don't speak out publicly against the crazy extremists.

Yes -- in the interview dlowan posted, Ayan Hirsi Ali alludes to that, too.
dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:26 pm
@sozobe,
Cool...is there a link? This is a bit like Vindaloo Against Violence!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2010 08:47 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

msolga wrote:
I doubt very much that many would agree with such extreme threats, yet they appear to confine their discussions to within their own (Muslim) communities. They don't speak out publicly against the crazy extremists.

Yes -- in the interview dlowan posted, Ayan Hirsi Ali alludes to that, too.

Salon.com on misinterpretation of the Koran by this and other groups;
Quote:
"Yunus Muhammad" says in the interview that the Quran instructs Muslims to "terrorize the disbelievers." It does no such thing. The Quran instructs Muslims to live at peace with non-Muslims who are at peace with them.

The verse to which this individual referred was in the chapter of the Spoils (al-Anfal), 8:60:

Wa a`iddu lahum ma istata`tum min quwwatin wamin ribati 'lkhayli turhibuna bihi `aduwwa Allahi wa`aduwwakum

Which means, "Prepare against them all the power, and all the war horses that you can, whereby to strike fear into the enemies of God and your enemies."

The context of this verse is the Battle of Badr on March 17, 624 of the Common Era. In the 610s, the pagan Meccans had persecuted the new religion of Islam and ultimately chased Muhammad and the Muslims out of Mecca for preaching the one God. They took refuge in the nearby city of Yathrib, which became known as Medina (i.e., the City [of the Prophet]). The wealthy Meccan polytheists hoped to wipe Islam and the Muslims out, and fought skirmishes with them. The early Muslims riposted by raiding Meccan trading caravans, in hopes of weakening their foe economically. That March in 624, the Meccans sent out their best fighters to protect a caravan. A Muslim force more or less stumbled onto this expedition. Badr, named after a well south of Medina, was the first major battle between the two sides, and the Muslims won it, thus saving themselves from genocide.

So what the Quran is saying in 8:60 is that the Muslims should keep a stable of fighting steeds at the ready and let the Meccans know about it, to strike fear into the hearts of an enemy trying to wipe out them and their religion.

The verse does not command any act of "terrorism." It commands that Muslims attempt to forestall irrational violence against a Muslim state through deterrence. It is defensive in intent.

http://www.salon.com/news/opinion/feature/2010/04/22/south_park_terrorist_koran

Ayaan Kirsi Ali questions such benign interpretations in "Infifel", though.
0 Replies