China Has an Invalid Government

glitterbag

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 02:08 pm
@Brandon9000,
Idiot, I didn't dispute Webster's, I don't know how you expect the citizens of PRC to have the same English language definition available to English speakers. Do you even have a clue how dangerous it would be for a Chinese citizen to even possess such a thing? You can say China doesn't have a democracy like the one in the USA as long as you want, it doesn't mirror ours, it probably won't ever have one, but it is indeed a government regardless of how you parse the definition.

But you want complete word for word agreement parroted back to you, so can continue to see yourself as brilliant. Your self esteem issues are not my problem.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 02:17 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
If my definition is wrong, as you claim, then Merriam Webster's dictionary is wrong.
M-W gives the US-American view of the term, in a short online dictionary version.

You are not aware of it, Brandon, but there are differences among countries in historical experience, size, ethnic and religious composition, and other factors, which have resulted in significant differences in their political institutions and their understanding/interpretation of democracy. (Like: no-one in Europe would get the idea that a parliament is part of the government. [I wouldn't like to be governed by some parties in our parliament at all!]
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Jun, 2014 02:32 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
In one of the Swiss Kantons ("states), Appenzell-Innerrhoden, the Landgemeinde ("state assembly" = all eligible citizens of the canton) meets on a certain day of year and discuss ALL constitutional affairs, including the election of the government. Since 1513.

The more or less only duty of their parliament is to make the preparations for this Landgemeinde (which takes place usually on the Sunday of April).

A Landgemeinde exists in four more cantons, but with less power, and in about 2,500 municipalities. But in all of these, the government is separated. (Since 1871)
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 12:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Walter Hinteler wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:
If my definition is wrong, as you claim, then Merriam Webster's dictionary is wrong.
M-W gives the US-American view of the term, in a short online dictionary version.

Exactly, not only do we have to accept his version of democracy, but now we have to have American dictionaries as well.

I'll stick to the Oxford English dictionary thank you very much.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 12:41 am
@Brandon9000,
So your whole purpose is to say that the Chinese government is worse than a democracy. What a waste of time and effort. Are you going to start any more threads pointing out the flaming obvious?
glitterbag

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 12:51 am
@izzythepush,
Izzy, you have Romeo, but Brandon is an American burden to endure. Truly, our educational system is very good, but we have so many indigo children to deal with. Brandon is the crown prince of Indigo. Does that help?
izzythepush

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 12:55 am
@glitterbag,
I had to look up indigo children, but I'm beginning to understand what motivates a lemming.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 01:28 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
I had to look up indigo children, but I'm beginning to understand what motivates a lemming.
Since you can't make (and have) i.e. trade agreements with an invalid government, I've got additionally some different ideas.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 03:28 am
Brandon9000, are you aged about 13?
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 03:39 am
@Brandon9000,
Frank Apisa wrote:

Brandon9000 wrote:

China has an invalid government. Here's an example:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/wallaces-report-on-the-secret-tiananmen-papers/

In order to be a valid government, it would have to be elected by the people
and allow freedom of speech.

Why?
Brandon9000 wrote:
Just my personal opinion. I believe that a government which rules by force instead of consent is invalid.
If you disagree, please say a few words to express your viewpoint.
How is validity defined, within the context of this thread ?
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 04:36 am
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:
That would be a question for another thread. Here, it was/is about an "invalid government".

And according to Brandon's M-W, invalid is a) "being without foundation or force in fact, truth, or law" or as b) logically inconsequent
OmSigDAVID

Reply Sun 8 Jun, 2014 04:38 am
@Walter Hinteler,

OmSigDAVID wrote:
Walter Hinteler wrote:
That would be a question for another thread.
Here, it was/is about an "invalid government".
I disagree.
My post requests Brandon to define his term,
insofar as it is used in this thread.
0 Replies

bobsal u1553115

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 07:07 am
@glitterbag,
He doesn't understand dealing with reality. The government of China is valid until it isn't.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 08:58 am
Interesting argument on Radio 4's Start The Week today. China's governance has improved dramatically over the years, whilst the West's has deteriorated.

Where would you rather be very poor, Democratic India or Authoritarian China? The answer is that China has improved its healthcare, sanitation, education and provision of fresh water whilst India's has pretty much stayed to same.

An Indian peasant farmer could easily argue that China's government has more value than his own.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006r9xr
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 9 Jun, 2014 11:39 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

Interesting argument on Radio 4's Start The Week today. China's governance has improved dramatically over the years, whilst the West's has deteriorated.

Where would you rather be very poor, Democratic India or Authoritarian China? The answer is that China has improved its healthcare, sanitation, education and provision of fresh water whilst India's has pretty much stayed to same.

An Indian peasant farmer could easily argue that China's government has more value than his own.

Great point, Izzy!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 09:18 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

And the citizens of Hong Kong can also give thanks for Chinese governance.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 09:36 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
And the citizens of Hong Kong can also give thanks for Chinese governance.
Actually, they should thank the Treaty of Nanking (1842), the Treaty of Beijing (1860), and especially The Convention for the Extension of Hong Kong Territory (1898): the 99-year lease wasn't going on for eternity.
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 09:40 am
I'm pretty sure all governments are invalid. Any man that thinks they can control others, is truly the grandest of fools. Not only that, but they assume they have power when they convince the already stupid - they can't convince the smart people or the wise men, why? Perhaps these rulers are just a side-effect of a god complex.
bobsal u1553115

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:44 pm
@One Eyed Mind,
I'm pretty sure most people being governed disagree with you.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2014 01:56 pm
@bobsal u1553115,
People seem to confuse the necessity of government vs religions. All societies require a form of government that can provide its citizens with the necessary infrastructure, education, safety, health, and defense. They require the establishment of laws to provide equality and protections from monopolies and safeguards for workers.

The form of government impacts the country's economy, standard of living, and the freedom or restrictions of its citizens.

OEM seems confused about the governments impact on society.