Is George Bush a fundamentalist christian?

Sofia

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 02:55 pm
I think the word 'fundamentalist' is a lot like 'liberal'.

Both are considered insults, but actually aren't all that diabolical.

Fundamentalists believe the Bible is the perfect, no-mistake-havin', literal Word of God. Other Christians think thingslike the Jonah story and the Virgin Birth are parables, or metaphors...

I don't think George has come down on this issue.

Its odd, because we speak of the militant Islamists as 'fundamentalists'. Maybe we are incorrect in that description...
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:19 pm
Sofia wrote:
Fundamentalists believe the Bible is the perfect, no-mistake-havin', literal Word of God. Other Christians think thingslike the Jonah story and the Virgin Birth are parables, or metaphors...

I don't think George has come down on this issue.

The point I was trying to make about George's belief regarding entrance to heaven, was to show his fundamentalist view.

The Frontline program mentioned that one of the tenants of the Community Bible Study of Midland which George attended for years was the infallibility of the bible.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:20 pm
I agree Sofia: 'fundamentalist' isn't the correct term for Islamic terrorists because if they were 'fundamentalist' they would adhere to the more reasonable tenets of the Quran which they obviously do not.

George doesn't talk about his faith all that much. But with his Episcopal background and his current Methodist affiliation, there is no way it is reasonable to assume he is any way fundamentalist even in the good definition of that word.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:21 pm
Mesquite, George irritates the religious right far too much to make any case that he adheres to infallability of the Bible. Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:32 pm
I think odds are he is a fundamentalist--but those aren't the hardline abortion clinic bombers--just the Infallibility group.

And, as Kerry proves--even some adherents to fundamentality can draw some differences with the church's teaching.

I guess the label is sort of useless...

The 'fundamental' truth in the Bible's teaching--if you believe the Old Testament applies (and I guess most fundy's do--is the Catholics' hard line approach. "Don't spill your seed..." No masturbation-no contraceptives-no rhythm method--no abortion...
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:35 pm
Well actually the Catholics do allow the rhythm method. Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:42 pm
....but..., the seed....
Maybe if they put it in a jar...
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:42 pm
Sofia wrote:
I guess the label is sort of useless...

Until you start combining it with "ridding the world of evildoers", "axis of evil" the pre-emptive invasion of Iraq.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:44 pm
Cooky jar??
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 03:55 pm

I say no, he will be anything that is popular amongst his base and that will advance him politically. In other words, totally devoid of intergrity...................... It would be closer to associate him with Satan, his "best" side is his evil, that is where his accomplishments lie....
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:16 pm
mesquite--

I think ALL Christians believe the basic entrance into Heaven...

I may be wrong... Catholics? Methodists? I know ALL Baptists believe there is only one path to Heaven. Belief in Christ as the Son of God, and submission to His will.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:18 pm
That's the doctrine of many of the formal Christian denominations. I would guess that it is the personal belief of a minority of Christians.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:18 pm
Quote:
I know ALL Baptists believe there is only one path to Heaven. Belief in Christ as the Son of God, and submission to His will.

That, by itself, is blasphemy Exclamation
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:34 pm
BillW wrote:

It would be closer to associate him with Satan, his "best" side is his evil, that is where his accomplishments lie....

"For evil to triumph, good men must do nothing"

Good men and women of the United States, get out there and vote for John Kerry in November.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:36 pm
Excellent point Idea
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:42 pm
BillW wrote:
Excellent point Idea

Actually BillW, I have two good points. :wink:
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:44 pm
Now you got my attention Cool
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 04:58 pm
BillW wrote:
Now you got my attention Cool

Check this out Bill. Shocked

http://www.nippits.com/ Mr. Green
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 05:14 pm
Them nippitytits look fake.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:41 pm
Why would anyone want to hide nipples? They are only the best things EVER!
0 Replies