Is George Bush a fundamentalist christian?

septembri

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 03:58 pm
Yes, Walter Hinteler, I happen to have a Master's Degree in History. I realize that a US Master's Degree is no where near as good as a few sessions with a good German Nachhilfelehler. but it will have to do. You know, how backward these American Universities are, don't you?
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:03 pm
has the judge entered his opine on German higher education or are we speculating with our dissing of Walter?
0 Replies

septembri

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:08 pm
foxfyre- That is a great speech given by a great American, but the left won't pay any heed to it.

Reagan said in that speech.

I BELIEVE THAT FAITH AND RELIGION PLAY A GREAT PART IN THE POLITICAL LIFE OF OUR NATION.

The left will pay no attention. Why?

Reagan did not graduate from an Ivy League college.

Reagan did not attend the trendy Georgetown wine and cheese parties.

Reagan did not enthuse over the incomprehnsible art loved by the left wing---Klee, Pollock, Serrano

Reagan was basically a Westerner. He was not from the effete East.

But his presidency of eight years affected our country greatly, for the better as far as the right is concerned and, negatively, in the eyes of the left.

It will be left to History to judge his legacy although it has already been made clear by professional historians that he is far far superior to Bill Clinton.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 04:17 pm
septembri wrote:
The left will pay no attention.

Why?

Reagan did not enthuse over the incomprehnsible art loved by the left wing---Klee, Pollock, Serrano

Is your point that Reagan was correct, or that "the left" (whoever that is), is a bunch of elitist snobs?

septembri wrote:
It will be left to History to judge his legacy although it has already been made clear by professional historians that he is far far superior to Bill Clinton.

I don't know about that, but I would say that he's definitely far superior to George W. Bush.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 06:53 pm
Quote:
Bill Allows Mixing of Religion, Politics
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

Published: June 7, 2004

Filed at 8:05 p.m. ET

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Churches that mistakenly mix religious and political activity would face reduced fines but keep their tax exempt status under a provision in a corporate tax bill the House is to consider this week.

The proposal, which could invalidate the strict separation of religion and politics in current tax laws, was introduced by House Republicans the same week President Bush's re-election campaign targeted 1,600 Pennsylvania congregations to recruit voters.

You guys REALLY have to get rid of this administration.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:00 pm
Oh nonsense. The operative word here is 'mistakingly'. I once unintentionally booked a group into a conference center and later found out the group did not have the not-for-profit credentials necessary to do business with our not-for-profit (religious affiliated) entity. We didn't get caught, but if we had, under current law, our not-for-profit status would have been revoked.

Under the proposed law we would have opportunity to correct the matter and not suffer the ultimate penalty for an honest mistake.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:13 pm
actually I have no idea if George is a fundamentalist christian but I would be inclined to say not. So far he has not indicated any sufficient sustained reasoning that would be indicative of a coherent philosophical religious belief system. He has however, consistently postured a leaning towards the voting bloc that would be easily considered "christian right." He has, IMHO, demonstrated disregard for constitutional tradition re separation of church and state to such a degree that many moderate religious leaders as well as advocates of secular protections have voiced alarm. As president there is little to fear from George in this matter, however he has surrounded himself with others (Ashcroft-Cheney-Rumsfeld-etal) who do pose a serious threat to the social stability of our nation and our society.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:16 pm
kickycan wrote:
septembri wrote:
The left will pay no attention.

Why?

Is your point that Reagan was correct, or that "the left" (whoever that is), is a bunch of elitist snobs?

I couldn't help but notice that you said "or" here... :wink: Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:55 pm
Paul Klee -- an artist member of the Bauhaus which the facist Hitler regime closed down. Fitting that there are still those who would include him in their meaningless tirade.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 07:55 pm
That's good, McG. Laughing
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 09:11 pm
dys

Yes, you have it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 7 Jun, 2004 11:16 pm
septembri wrote:
I realize that a US Master's Degree is no where near as good as a few sessions with a good German Nachhilfelehler. but it will have to do. You know, how backward these American Universities are, don't you?

The Educational System in Germany
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 06:30 am
Well, Walter, in US universities they give out degrees in multiple personalities.
0 Replies

Brand X

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:01 am
Lightwizard wrote:
Well, Walter, in US Universities they give out degrees in multiple personalities.

That's the one Set got. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:06 am
I'm sure he would take umbrage.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:29 am
As the WSJ revealed yesterday, and as is covered in the NY Times and Wash Post and elsewhere today, John Aschcroft's Justice Department lawyers concluded that torture could be used by the US, that the President had complete power to order this strategy regardless of international conventions and standing US military law.

Lying is ok. Torture is ok. Integrity and compassion as far as the eye can see.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Tue 8 Jun, 2004 07:48 am
Quote:
But this brings us back to my original reality check: Karl Rove is no idiot. The dark wizard is well aware of his president's troubles, and -- even as the Beltway boys and girls obsess over Iraq -- Team Bush is furiously sucking up to the base on domestic issues. Just this week, W. delivered a keep-the-faith barn-burner to nearly 2,000 religious leaders and social service workers assembled in Washington for the White House Conference on Faith-Based and Community Initiatives. In his best preacher's voice, Bush spoke of souls lost and found, the power of the Good Book, and the need to surrender one's life to "a higher being." But his larger goal: Reminding the audience of what a key friend he has been. Stressing his commitment to government funding of religious groups, Bush noted that, when an obstinate Congress tried to block his plans, he outsmarted them by signing an executive order. (Take that, you godless legislators!)

The more illuminating speech, however, came from Jim Towey, Bush's faith-based czar, who helpfully focused the crowd on the fierce "culture war" still raging in this country. Iraq may be getting all the press these days, he allowed, "but there's also another war that's going on ... that really gets to the heart of the questions about what is the role of faith in the public square." If the anti-Bush forces wind up carrying the day, Towey reportedly warned, "you could almost wind up creating a godless orthodoxy." For peddling such divisive, partisan rhetoric at an official White House event, Towey most likely earned a cookie and a pat on the back from the dark wizard.

But the faith-based conference/revival was just one stop on Team Bush's crusade. Last week, the president met with several members of the religious media. This week, during a trip West, he was scheduled to swing by Colorado Springs to kiss the ring of evangelical powerbroker James Dobson. Finally -- and perhaps most impressively -- on Thursday The New York Times broke the news that the Bush campaign is working to recruit literally thousands of "Friendly Congregations" to aid its reelection efforts by identifying volunteers willing to distribute campaign materials, facilitate voter registration, and pray for a plague of frogs to paralyze blue-state voting on election day. (Just kidding about that last part.) In Pennsylvania alone, 1,600 churches have been contacted.

This move, at least, captured the attention of Democrats, who promptly fired off outraged emails accusing the Bushies of mixing church and state. The Dems are right to be furious -- and terrified. Rove has long vowed to make sure evangelical voters turn out this year in far greater numbers than in 2000. And every new Iraq failure makes it that much more important for Team Bush to remind social conservatives who is with them on hot-button issues like gay marriage and partial-birth abortion -- home-grown moral atrocities that inflame the right far more than anything that went down at Abu Ghraib.

The Bush campaign is unlikely to spread this particular message via a nationwide TV ad blitz, since such aggressive moralizing might give swing voters the willies. But they will spread it through every conservative broadcaster, religious publisher, and "friendly congregation" they can find. A mighty army of religious warriors is being assembled on the president's behalf. With this in mind, the Kerry camp had better not get too wrapped up in Iraq (or Vietnam). This is a two-front war. And Team Bush is working hard to convince Americans that -- as in all battles -- God is on its side.
0 Replies

septembri

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 01:24 am
I am quite certain that none of the posters here are professional historians.

It has become quite chic for the left wing elitists to denigrate Ronald Reagan, just as the Liberals tried to blacken President Eisenhower's name.

They are dead wrong.

According to the C-SPAN survey of Presidential Leadership--

http://www.americanpresidents.org/survey/historians/overall.asp

Ronald Reagan is rated by the PROFESSIONAL HISTORIANS who contributed to the survey as Eleventh in overall ranking.

Bill Clinton, on the other hand, is rated Twenty-First
just behind, George H.W. Bush who is rated Twentieth.
0 Replies

septembri

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 02:02 am
President Reagan would not, I am sure, have rejected Klee for his opposition to the Jewish hating Nazis. I believe that he would have expressed bewilderment at viewing a picture like "Structural II"

Maybe light wizard can explain its meaning to us!

But if you want to read about charlathans in the world of "art" you should look at Tom Wolfe's "The Painted Word".

He reveals many of the modern artists to be phonies that are propped up by the elitists who stand before a Jackson Pollock painting and breathlessly declare that the meaningless mess is a "work of art".

Here is a quote from "19th and 20th Century Painters" by Hans L. C. Jaffe( capitalizations mine, for emphasis)

p. 201

"Jackson Pollock"

Eyes in the Heat II- 1947- Oil on Canvas

"By letting his brush run over the canvas in free rhythmic movements, or by dribbling paint from brush or can onto a canvas laid flat on the floor, POLLOCK ALLOWED THE PAINTING TO PAINT ITSELF WITHOUT THE CALCULATING CONTROL OF A PRIOR CONCEPTION.

This extreme SPONTANEITY, which records the fluctuations of the artist's feelings UNHAMPERED BY THE CONSCIOUS WILL, is truly the ultimate form of an art of expression of Dionysiac origin."

Written, I am sure, by an elitist left wing phony.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Wed 9 Jun, 2004 08:04 am
Yes, George Bush is a fundamentalist chickenshit.......

What, oh, christian, hmmmmmm, never mind Shocked
0 Replies