Is George Bush a fundamentalist christian?

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 01:27 pm
I have heard it said in print over and over again that Bush is a fundamentalist christian, and I've formed an opinion that he is either not a very deep thinker, or a completely irrational moron, based on this. But I have recently realized that I have no proof that he is a fundamentalist christian. There are many stories about him that mention that he is, and he has been linked monetarily to fundamentalist christian organizations, but I can not find a single quote directly from him, saying that he is a fundamentalist christian.

Has anyone ever seen a quote from him on this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 17,647 • Replies: 385
No top replies

Tarantulas

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 02:07 pm
He's a Methodist. Very Happy
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 02:33 pm
kicky

The terms 'fundamentalist' and 'evangelical' are rather rubbery. Frontline just did a show on Bush and his religious notions (and on his political uses of evangelical membership)...it ought to give you some further data. You can stream the show. http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/jesus/

As a number of theologians on the show (and elsewhere) remark, perhaps the most troubling aspect for them relates to Bush's personal belief, apparently sincere, of special designation by God that he hold the Presidency (God picked me, not someone else). It is not a great leap from that idea to the idea that Bush's ideas or policies or path are actually a reflection of God's will (why would God place him there just to make errors?).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 02:46 pm
Just a sidenote: in Europe, a Evangelical is a Christian ("Protestant") not of a Catholic or Eastern church belief.

Especially in Germany, Evangelical means, he is neither a Lutheran nor a Unionist - although all these three Protestant beliefs form with their 23 churches the "Evangelical Church of Germany".

Evangelicals are the most cosmopolitan and 'leftish' churches to be found in Germany (and Europe).
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 02:48 pm
Those Protestants...always make it so difficult...
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:01 pm
:wink:
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:31 pm
I got the idea from "Frontliine" and other programs that Bush was just a bit to the right of Billy Graham in terms of his evangelical Christian beliefs. I think he fits right in with the ilk of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 03:43 pm
Bush is a "One-step Wonder" -- someone who has given up drinking and drugs by finding religion (well, and his actual Higher Power, Laura) but not following any of the other eleven steps. Ironically, that's about as fundamental as one can get.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Sun 9 May, 2004 04:00 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
Just a sidenote: in Europe, a Evangelical is a Christian ("Protestant") not of a Catholic or Eastern church belief.

Especially in Germany, Evangelical means, he is neither a Lutheran nor a Unionist - although all these three Protestant beliefs form with their 23 churches the "Evangelical Church of Germany".

Evangelicals are the most cosmopolitan and 'leftish' churches to be found in Germany (and Europe).

As an Evangelical Lutheran, of German descent, I found your post interesting and informative.
0 Replies

jeafl

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 06:31 am
Is Bush a Fundmentalist Christian
How can George W. Bush be a Fundamentalist Christian when he:

1. Supports fetal stem cell research thereby "justifying" abortion? (From what I gather the same kind of research can be done on umbilical stem cells derived from live births)

2. Expects Israel to make peace with the Palestinians.

3. May support civil unions which could give sodomites all of the legal rights of marriage.

I saw part of the Frontline program. It gave me the distinct impression that George W. Bush is willing to claim fundamentalist status just as long as doing so wins him votes.

Edit (Moderator): Link removed
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:23 am
Re: Is Bush a Fundmentalist Christian
jeafl wrote:
I saw part of the Frontline program. It gave me the distinct impression that George W. Bush is willing to claim fundamentalist status just as long as doing so wins him votes.

GW Bush is a chamelion. His views change depending on the audience he's playing to at the moment for support and votes.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 08:30 am
Re: Is Bush a Fundmentalist Christian
jeafl wrote:
How can George W. Bush be a Fundamentalist Christian when he:

1. Supports fetal stem cell research thereby "justifying" abortion? (From what I gather the same kind of research can be done on umbilical stem cells derived from live births)

2. Expects Israel to make peace with the Palestinians.

3. May support civil unions which could give sodomites all of the legal rights of marriage.

Edit (Moderator): Link removed

I'm not sure where you're getting this information. I didn't see anything on that linked website about stem cell research, for example.

1. I'm pretty sure that new lines of stem cells are prohibited because of the Republican party's opposition to the use of fetal tissue. BTW, I am opposed to their stand on this. I think if the cells are going to be discarded anyway, why not use them for research?

2. That's called the Road Map for Peace, right? Christianity and the Road Map are not mutually exclusive.

3. He opposes gay marriage and supports a Constitutional amendment to ban it. I don't know his stance on civil unions.

I've never heard George Bush trying to "claim fundamentalist status." Not sure where you're getting that one either.

"Sodomites," eh? Interesting terminology. I'm not sure it will win you too many friends here. My advice is to keep your head down. :wink:
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:24 am
Quote:

I just LOVE the term 'sodomites'!
0 Replies

jeafl

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:33 am
Quote:
1. I'm pretty sure that new lines of stem cells are prohibited because of the Republican party's opposition to the use of fetal tissue. BTW, I am opposed to their stand on this. I think if the cells are going to be discarded anyway, why not use them for research?

Bush has allowed federal money to be used to conduct research on a limited number of fetal stem cell lines; but he is supported fetal stem cell research just the same.

Quote:
2. That's called the Road Map for Peace, right? Christianity and the Road Map are not mutually exclusive.

It is if the so-called Christian lays the pavement for that roadmap over the peace and security of the State of Israel. Bush says he is at war with terrorists, but he condemns Israel for attacking terrorists. It is unconscionable that Sharon had to pledge to Bush that the Israelis would not kill the likes of Arafat.

God's promise to Abraham:
Genesis 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

God's promise to Jacob, originator of Israelites:
Genesis 27:29 Let people serve thee, and nations bow down to thee: be lord over thy brethren, and let thy mother's sons bow down to thee: cursed be every one that curseth thee, and blessed be he that blesseth thee.

Quote:
3. He opposes gay marriage and supports a Constitutional amendment to ban it. I don't know his stance on civil unions.

The constitutional amendment that is now working its way through Congress would allow the states to recognize civil unions. And note that the issue of sodomite marriage has been around since the Clinton administration, but W waits until his re-election year before he comes out against it.

Quote:
I've never heard George Bush trying to "claim fundamentalist status." Not sure where you're getting that one either.

That Bush thinks he is a fundamentalist was strongly implied by the Frontline program.

Quote:
"Sodomites," eh? Interesting terminology. I'm not sure it will win you too many friends here. My advice is to keep your head down.

I have no need of friends if they preclude me from speaking my mind or telling the truth.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 10:37 am
In my understanding 'Sodomites' were citizens of the ancient city of Sodom near the Dead Sea. According to the Bible, it got clobbered way back then effectively wiping out all inhabitants except Lot's wife who, according to the allegorical story, was saltimized rather than sodomized (calm down--it's just another definition for the destruction of Sodom Smile )

To the best of my knowledge, the only member of the GOP to use the term 'sodomites' in the last 50 years was Strom Thurmond (years and years ago) and he is no longer an issue.

I also disagree with the GOP stance on stem cell research as I believe GWB disagrees in principle with it. The following shows his thought processes in current policy and how decisions were not arrived at lightly:

http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/08/20010809-2.html
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:39 am
coluber2001 wrote:
I got the idea from "Frontliine" and other programs that Bush was just a bit to the right of Billy Graham in terms of his evangelical Christian beliefs. I think he fits right in with the ilk of Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

That is precisely the impression that I got. The disagreement with his mother over "how to be saved" drives that point home and makes it clear that he tends toward literal biblical interpretation.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 11:51 am
And I think the only way anyone could get the impression that GWB is a fundamentalist is to want that to be the case so passionately that all evidence to the contrary is ignored.
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:28 pm
Foxfyre wrote:
And I think the only way anyone could get the impression that GWB is a fundamentalist is to want that to be the case so passionately that all evidence to the contrary is ignored.

Have you seen the Frontline show? There are abundant clips of GW in his own words.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:30 pm
Yes I have seen the show. And I do not believe GWB is a fundamentalist at all.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 21 May, 2004 12:40 pm
Perhaps he gives money to The Amazing Kreskin. That would make him a fund a mentalist.
0 Replies