50 Years Ago

fbaezer

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:23 am
50 years ago, plus one day, on May 6th, 1954...

The Vietnamese were engaged in a fierce 3-day fight with the French colonialists, the key battle of that war: Dien Bien Phu.

Roger Bannister, before becoming Sir, broke the mythical 4 minute barrier on the mile run.

It was a very rainy day in a small town in Germany. A photographer took a beautiful picture of tens of umbrellas in front of a church (it was a Sunday)

And, in another continent, I was being born.

What happened in the world on the day you were born?

I wanted to post this yesterday, but was overwhelmed by work... what a way to spend your 50th birthday
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,181 • Replies: 40
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:17 am
Hmmm - not in the year I was born - but on the day before - Hiroshima.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:39 am
Happy 50th birthday, fbaezer.

My birthday's not got many special events (30 May) but my brother's (6/6) was D-Day, so I never forget that event!

KP
dlowan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:12 pm
So - you celebrated yet, Fbaezer?????
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:15 pm
Thursday, September 17, 1942 www.onwar.com

From Washington... All atomic research is place under military control. General Groves is appointed head of the program. He has deep fears about security and a dislike of the British which leads to a policy of reluctant sharing of information concerning atomic weapon development with the British Allies.

On Madagascar... The Vichy French governor of the island rejects the armistice proposed by the invading British
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:16 pm
Happy Birthday....I'm 55 tomorrow.....let's get drunk.......

On the day I was born the rain fell down
There was trouble brewing in my home town
It was the seventh day I was the seventh son
And I scared the hell out of everyone........
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:27 pm
Still do, Bear, still do - 55 or not.

have a good 'un!!!!!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 06:27 pm
from www.brainyhistory.com/events/1941/ october_30_1941_100335.html

October 30, 1941

USS Reuben James torpedoed by Germans even though US not at war.

Hmm, this is news to me, haven't looked the day up before.
I remember more personally that my father didn't show up at the hospital in time because he was at the founding meeting for the film editors union. I think there were five people, or maybe it was seven, and at this point I don't remember the initials of the union. My mother remarked about this for years, years, somewhat but not entirely in jest. Apparently I was a blue baby, starting out as a troubling kid.. Well, gee, I am glad I made it.

I lift a crystal glass to you, FB, glad you made it too.

Edit, I looked all this up, and the union was SMPFE, and it wasn't at all the first meeting.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 05:51 am
Happy birthday, fb, you're born the same day as my Dad (he and Willie Mays turned 73 on the 6th).

In '54, Brown vs. Board of Education of Topeka, Kansas was decided, and it changed the face of the US forever.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:17 am
Hi everyone, thanks.

I did raise my glass on the 6th, with my wife (it's her birthday also, but she's still on her thirties).

But, guess what? On the afternoon of the 7th, I broke my ankle.
Must be old age!
Or a Freudian lapsus (Freud was a May 6th man also)

Jespah, there are lots of important May 6thers: your dad, and Willie Mays, and Rudolph Valentino, and Robespierre, and George Clooney, and Peary, and Orson Welles, and Max Ophuls... even Janet Jackson (same day as my wife).

And Happy Bi-Polar birthday: cheers, man!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:10 am
Broke your ankle!! Noooooooooooo!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:25 am
Hamburger's birthday was also May 6th.

Seems to me he took the additional year better than fbaezer did Confused

Take care of yourself, fbaezer. I hope you are being mightily pampered.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:35 am
US-FRENCH ALLIANCE: London, 5 - A huge airlift has begun linking Larson Air Force Base in Washington with Marseilles and from there to Indochina, with a stopover in Ceylon, the latest contribution by the United States to the epic struggle being waged by the heroic defenders of Dien Bien Phu in the last dramatic hours of its defense, just 400 meters away from Ho Chi Minh's Red Army. How feasible it is to save the fortress in this last-ditch effort remains to be seen. The fact remains that 24 huge Globebuster transport aircraft are taking part in a unique, historic operation to bring fully equipped French military units from Marseilles to the front line of fire in Indochina. During the flight, they will be avoiding the forbidden zones over India and Burma and will return via the Philippines and the Pacific Ocean.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:16 pm
Happy birthday, you two youngsters! :wink:

I was 55 on February 21.

In 1949, the February 21 issue of Life featured Truman's Cabinet: Dean Acheson. Churchill's Memoirs Part 3, Elizabeth Taylor
http://www.oldlifemagazines.com/covers/cv022149.jpg

and in http://i.timeinc.net/time/time100/artists/images/old_cover/490221.gif , there were five pages about Louis Armstrong:

Charlie Parker had a session (with Shorty Sherrock (tpt); Sidney Bechet (ss); Joe Bushkin (p); Chubby Jackson (b); George Wettling (d); Charles Delauney (ann)) at the WPIX-TV Studio, New York.

The (East-) Berlin bus line Number 11 opened (running instead of the tram No. 11) on 21.02.49

Nina Simone celebrated that day her 16th birthday.

Ernest Walker, composer, dies at 78.

This is a February 21, 1949 advertisement of the Marchant Calculating Machine "Easy on Eyes Ad 1949"

http://images.kaleden.com/dbimages/ODG136414869.jpg

Well, and on this day, Larry Drake and Walter Hinteler were born.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:12 pm
they said my mom will not be able to have children...however, even before I was born I opposed modern medicine Smile February air was sharp, heaps of snow all over, night was foggy...
It was in a small croatian town on four rivers

http://free-st.hinet.hr/kitopsina/croatia%20slike/karlovac.jpg

Time was in a hurry that year. If they waited for a day, they would be out exactly on February 11th...day I was born...and day Thatcher Era began in UK...
Instead, they were not very serious in 1975th...

http://i.timeinc.net/time/magazine/archive/covers/1975/1101750210_400.jpg

I am still in that same town. When you spend your high school years, and first college years...in a war...some things suddenly become more important and you know nothing can ever replace them...

http://www.nato.int/pictures/review/9703/b9000003.jpg

But, peace eventually comes. This year February was sharp again. Snow all around. But no fog. And swans were glad to come again. Just 50 meters from house in which I grew up

http://www.karlovac.hr/Slike/nove/labudovi_velika.jpg

Happy birthday to all of you May guys and girls Smile
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:27 pm
That was great, MyOwnUsername!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:30 pm
July 5, 1975...

Arthur Ashe broke a color barrier of sorts and beat Jimmy Connors in 4 sets to win the 89th Wimbledon title.

Cape Verde gained independence after five centuries of Portuguese rule.

President Suharto (Indonesia) visited President Ford at Camp David and apparently revealed his plan to invade East Timor.

Slow day.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:41 pm
The day I was born was just another in 6 years of Nazi bombers and fighter planes trying to blow England to Kingdom Come. I survived.
I lived to read about it and latterly forget about it.
Just makes me quake at the thought of the current conflicts spreading to the 4 corners on a daily basis
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 05:59 pm
fbaezer, so sorry about your ankle! How are ya feeling?

On September 2, 1962, eek, the Soviet Union agreed to send arms to Cuba. No word on other body parts. One of my favorite films of all time, To Kill a Mockingbird, was released that year. The Beatles' first single, "Love Me Do"/"P.S. I Love You" was released on October 5 (in the United Kingdom only). Linus Pauling won the Nobel Peace Prize.

September 2 babies include Mark Harmon (11 years before me), Jimmy Connors (exactly 10 years older than me), Keanu Reeves (2 years younger than me), Lennox Lewis is 3 years younger than me, and I'm 6 years older than Salma Hayek.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 06:46 pm
This thread has precipitated my interest in archiving my photos. I can't find much on line of aerial views of LA at all, much less in the early forties, though I know they exist to at least some extent - I saw them when I coordinated a land use exhibit for LA's bicentennial back around 1980.

Plus a quick google look doesn't ferret out much on street scenes in LA over time - though for Los Angeles, we do have the movies...

Since I have always been apt to photo a scene as well as my pals, I have a relatively high proportion of photos just looking at places I've been. Back when I was compiling photos on piazzas (still interested folks, if you have any, I still may finish the book, would give credit) and asked friends, there was always a picture of the travel companion smack dab in the middle of the scene, posing yet again. So... I think any photos we all might have of scenes of areas where we have lived or travelled will eventually be useful to someone else sometime.
0 Replies