Disney Forbids Distribution of Moore Film

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:42 am
I've grated some cheese on top to make it more palatable.

Looks to me like there's some Machiavellian machinations going on between Miramax and Disney -- Eisner's trouble within Disney is not imagination (I guess the Imagineers didn't work for him).
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 09:45 am
(This is just a symptom of Disney's ongoing screwed up inner politics).
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 12:37 pm
Lightwizard wrote:

If this is an all out comedy of errors genre of satirical comedy I could find it both entertaining and enlightening even if I am sometimes skeptical of Moore's tactics.

Then we are presented with a list of quotes from ehbeth which seem intended to vindicate publicity stunts.

Now, Lightwizard receives an e-mail from Moore (Who, as we all know, is an impeccable source of the truth) , claiming he's been wronged, and LW and ehbeth are back on that track and offering to serve up crow.

This is rich.

Irrespective of how one feels about the porcine Mr Moore, this is not an issue of first ammendment rights or even censorship in its broadest definition.

As has already been pointed out in this thread, Moore doesn't have a legally protected right to have his movies produced or distributed. Except, perhaps, in the minds of a few of his more paranoid fans, the government is not at all involved in trying to stifle his opinion or punish him for it.

Rejecting Moore's film because it doesn't fit the Disney brand may be hypocritical but it's not censorship.

Moore is correct that Miramax was created to provide Disney with an outlet for products that didn't fit the Disney brand, and so it is, at best, disingenuous for them to trot out brand protection in this case. It's much more likely that one colossal ass (Eisner) was simply somehow chapped off by an even bigger ass (Moore), but even if they thought Moore's "Farenheit 9/11," was too hot for Miramax, this would be a business decision, not censorship.

Moore's products have been enough of a commercial success that it is very unlikely that he won't find a new distributor in a relatively short period of time. It may not have the cache of Miramax, but that's show biz.

His promise to bring his new film to the people even if he has to travel around and show it in city parks is, frankly, nauseating. I'm not sure which is more pathetic, that this millionaire clown might actually believe that he is an oppressed champion of free speech and the "little guy," or that the "little guy," (like the one offering the side of his house as a screen) buys into his elephantine ego trip.

I'm sure it has crossed Moore's mind that a road show with "folk screenings" in city parks would be a great source of the publicity he seems to hunger for as much as he hungers for fried twinkies, but I suspect his business sense will get the better of him, and you fans will have to settle for seeing his film in your local theatres.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 12:48 pm
How magnanimous of you. I'm sure you won't be at any screenings of the film just as I'm sure you have probably not seen any of his films or read any of his books. Since 70% of the population is overweight, the allusions to his weight must mean you are in the 30%.

Of course it's not censorship -- it's a contractual litigation. I was in ligitation with GM for eight years over a theft of a patent for a fiberoptic invention as they were using the law of attrition to try and win the case. I didn't go away and I still receive checks from GM. I hope Moore has the same luck with these big time corporate lawyers who also run our country.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 12:52 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
Then we are presented with a list of quotes from ehbeth which seem intended to vindicate publicity stunts.

Quote:
Quote:
You can fool all of the people all of the time if the advertising is right and the budget is big enough. (Joseph E. Levine)

Nothing to do with vindicating publicity stunts - just pointing out that it's about getting your face out front before the other guy does. Doesn't matter if it's Disney or Michael Moore or someone else.

Right now, Disney's got the budget, Moore's got the face value/right advertising angle. It's an interesting squabble. I suspect Disney expected this to be a slam-dunk, though some sites I've been to suggest that Disney actually set this up to be publicity for a film they do intend to release. I'm having trouble believing that angle on it.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 12:59 pm
Before anyone casts stones, we should keep in mind that it is highly doubtful that there is a single soul here who didn't fudge the truth a little in their lives. At it's best, truth as we know it is nebulous, and we are all guilty of bending it for our own benefit once in a while. Media personalities just happen to make careers out of it. The real truth always lies somewhere in the middle of two opposing sides. As for crow, I'll pass (too stringy and hostile). How about some nice poached pheasant....once it's been poached from the evil landowners, we'll roast it up nicely. Mmmm....fudged truth.....I'll get strawberries for that. Smile
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:06 pm
They have a contractual obligation to release the film so for them it is a win-win-win situation. The get to protest their outrage to protect their image, generate publicity for the film, and rake in the proceeds from a film with high visibility. I doubt Disney is all that concerned about Jeb Bush. They can afford the lawyers to deal with him.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:09 pm
Mickey Mouse can sit on Jeb Bush.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:09 pm
Quote:
Media personalities just happen to make careers out of it.

go back a page, cav - you'll like the linked article

I'm not a wild fan of Mr. Moore's work, but as an advertising grad, I have nothing but admiration for his self-promotion. It's American, it's marketing, it's good. <nodding in occasionally grudging admiration>
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:10 pm
(And liberals are apparantly not suppose to have a lot of money -- they are suppose to be turned into conservatives).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:12 pm
Acquiunk wrote:
They have a contractual obligation to release the film so for them it is a win-win-win situation. The get to protest their outrage to protect their image, generate publicity for the film, and rake in the proceeds from a film with high visibility. I doubt Disney is all that concerned about Jeb Bush. They can afford the lawyers to deal with him.

Shocked Maybe those Woodshed Tavern guys were right? Shocked
They're usually right, but they're rarely correct. :wink:
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:20 pm
I had already checked out the article ehBeth, and sheesh....all these guys are spin doctors by nature, right or left. However, the "pets or meat" scene from 'Roger and Me' left me in howls. Maybe it was the thought of eating evil bunnies...Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:24 pm
http://images.allposters.com/images/80/030_BD001.jpg

do you think you can get this one defrocked, defurred and roasted by 19:00?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:25 pm
I still ache from laughter at that scene. If it were Warner Bros. it would be evil wabbits.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:26 pm
He looks like a nice fat wabbit.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 01:34 pm
ehBeth wrote:
http://images.allposters.com/images/80/030_BD001.jpg

do you think you can get this one defrocked, defurred and roasted by 19:00?

The suit is ragged, and he looks old and slow, but plump indeed. It shouldn't be too much trouble to run him down. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 03:00 pm
Don't worry about catching him. I've got two fine, fleet dogs for that Twisted Evil

You just get those seasonings prepared. A rub first, I think.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 05:32 pm
We could send out the dog after the hare that bit you.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:05 pm
And for those on the boards that want to make fun of Michael Moore's weight, you know he's also only 4-1/2 feet tall.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 10:05 pm
Lying down.
0 Replies