Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:48 am
The film has been selected for the Cannes Film Festival:

http://www.michaelmoore.com/
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:49 am
saintsfanbrian wrote:
Adrian - shouldn't that signature read something like I may not agree with everything you say, but I would fight to the death your right to say it.

Disney, as a corporation, has every right to pull any movie they want. Do I agree with Michael Moore? Nope. I personally think he should be placed on a slow boat out of this country one way never to return.

Are you an American, SFB? If you are I'm sure you'll stand by the saying you think Adrian's quote should be. Free speech is the American way. I'm surprised you're not all furious that Moore's voice might be restricted. That would be SO un-American.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:50 am
In fact, SFB, aren't good Americans supposed to be defending Mr. Moore's right to present his perspective? Isn't that their responsibility as good citizens?
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:01 am
Yes I am an American, and I don't like what he has to say but he does have a right to say it. As far as I can tell, didn't he make the movie? If so, then he had a chance to speak his mind. Just because he has a right to say what he wants, doesn't mean that Disney or Mirimax have to release it.

A right has a responsibilty that goes along with it.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:08 am
This has nothing to do with free speech. If Disney doesn't want to distribute it someone else can they are free to do so and if they decide not to they've exercised their freedom to choose what they want to use their medium for, and have not in any way infringed on the right to free speech.

The "right" to present your perspective doesn't translate into a "right" to the use of any medium and the "right" to have Disney distribute it.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:11 am
I wouldn't rule out that Disney and Miramax are aware of the fact that starting a controversy over a film will boost the box office. It's recently been done with great success. Disney is noted for internal Machiavellian machinations and if Miramax could have started a controversy over making attorneys look bad in the film "Chicago," it may have done even more box office. You might disagree with Moore but his ability to barge into and upset the politico mind is unmistakable and demonstrated in this thread.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:20 am
That's true, Craven, if you really believe this is the simple story. The connection with Icon Productions is ironic.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:23 am
Personally, I think when Disney said it was not in the interest of any large corporation to be thrust into a polarized political issue they were right.

A more edgy company can distribute it and actually benefit off the polemy.

That Disney doesn't want to doesn't have to silence the movie at all. If I ran Disney I'd stay out of politics too.

P.S. yes yes I know about the unsubstantiated allegations that this is a political move by Disney for tax purposes, I just don't share that opinion.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:30 am
Disney owns ABC who cancelled Bill Maher after having him on the air for several years with a very edgy political show. Actually the best thing that ever happened to him as he ended up on HBO with an even edgier show. I'm not sure I want to believe the large corporation not wanting to be thrust into a polarized political issue rhetoric.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:02 pm
Call it what you will, a company has the right to deny service to anyone. Regardless of the reason.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:18 pm
Not if there's a contract involved. They may be stuck between a Iraq and a hard place. (cr to Jon Stewart)
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 12:55 pm
Almost every contract in the entertainment industry has a rider that can get anyone of the members out of it if they really want to.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 01:00 pm
You guys can have your Michael Moore:

http://www.gravett.org/pc/archives/moore-fatass-new.jpg

http://mrgrumman.home.comcast.net/MichaelMoorePig.JPG

http://www.coxandforkum.com/archives/BowlingforFallujah-X.gif

http://jsoda.blogfodder.net/files/Michael%20Moore.gif

We have our own movie-maker!

http://www.ntvmsnbc.com/news/134051.jpg

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00004RFFW.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

http://www.countrymall.com/Celebrity/Mel%20Gibson%2001.jpg

http://www.american-partisan.com/images/celebs/gibson-soldiers-sm(paramount).jpg
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 01:02 pm
I like the Beretta that he is holding in the Lethal Weapon poster.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 01:09 pm
I'll bet you do! Too bad his finger is on the trigger. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 02:09 pm
?
Hmmm.... the Dizneyed execs. that signed with Moore didn't know what this film ````was gonna be about?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 08:26 pm
Finn d'Abuzz wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
Listening.

My aunt and uncle were early Disney employees, as in Very Early, and my ex and I think he was screwed over by a later person there re a screenplay treatment. So, I, in the wings, like to pay attention from time to time.

I guess I wish they would be who I thought they were when I was about nine, whatever the facts of this recent episode.

Censorship only has legal meaning as it relates to governmental action.

Disney, unless one is a Leftist nut case, cannot be accused of "censorship."

Michael Moore has no protected right to have his political screeds financed by Disney, Miramax et al. If and when the government prevents him from turning out his views in pamphlets or on a soap box, then I'll join you in decrying a violation of the Ist Ammedment.

In the meantime, it's all about money and exposure. Hardly constitutional issues.

I agree with you, Finn. I don't remember decrying a violation of the first amendment.

I said I was listening, for personal reasons sited. There is a bit of a culture clash, methinks, within/under the Disney umbrella. My view of Disney as a company is fairly wide ranging, from the historic, re that aunt and uncle (he was company treasurer, some long time ago), my own childhood experiences with watching the movies and tv shows, and another situation I referred to that made my ex and I blink. I grew up reading Variety and Reporter, and am fairly far from that world now, but remain interested in some of the business aspects.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 09:08 pm
Thank You, Sir, May I Have Another? link

<snip>

Quote:
Even Alternet recognizes that this supposed blow to his film's prospects are in fact a big plus for Moore, noting that Disney's decision "may not be such a bad thing for the bottom line... While Michael Moore is no slouch in the publicity department, when's the last time he had a film promoted on the front page of the New York Times months before its release?" Indeed, the contretemps preceding the publication of his book Stupid White Men was the kind of "censorship" that got everyone salivating over the could-be forbidden fruit. Publisher HarperCollins got nervous about the book's anti-Bush tone right after 9/11 (it was scheduled for early October 2001 publication) and threatened to pulp existing copies and get Moore to revise it.

They eventually relented and published it as intended in February 2002 and this about-to-be-"censored" book became the best-selling non-fiction book of 2002, cementing Moore as a true superstar.

<snip>

Quote:
Are the allegations Moore is going to present in his forthcoming film true? Will he use his notorious shading techniques to tell the tale he wants to tell, and imply the evils he wishes to imply? Undoubtedly, it will be a mix of incontrovertible fact, questionable speculation, and even some verifiable lies. And undoubtedly a huge and universally accessible scrum of arguers, haters, and correctors, both educated and uneducated, will leap upon the film. Rather than smother it, this will merely help continue the lively, ubiquitous, multivoiced conversation we've all enjoyed (or sometimes decried) with increasing intensity since the Internet entered almost everyone's lives.

Michael Moore is annoying and something of a hypocrite and he doesn't get his facts straight. But his flourishing as a professional pain in the ass to the president of the United States, and his continued and continual thriving despite supposed "censorship" threats from purportedly all-powerful corporations, make him a glorious symbol of the still-living freedoms in what we can, without much in the way of irony, still call this Great Land of Ours.

<snip>

Quote:

I think Mr. Doherty was reading my mind.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 10:36 pm
Michael Moore Lied (big shockeroo!)

There's tons of spin happening around Michael Moore's (tentatively titled Farenheit 911) movie about the relationship between the Bush family and the bin Laden family. The man is a giant blowhard. But now he's also a confirmed/televised LIAR (okay, we all know the man lies, but he got caught on CNN).

Remember he was claiming that Disney didn't want to release the film because it would upset Governor Jeb Bush. That would result in loss of tax rebates for Disney...except that corporate tax rebates in Florida are calculated by formula.

Well, here's the truth. He knew that Disney wouldn't release the film one year ago.

Quote:
Moore admits Disney 'ban' was a stunt

By Andrew Gumbel in Los Angeles

Less than 24 hours after accusing the Walt Disney Company of pulling the plug on his latest documentary in a blatant attempt at political censorship, the rabble-rousing film-maker Michael Moore has admitted he knew a year ago that Disney had no intention of distributing it.

The admission, during an interview with CNN, undermined Moore's claim that Disney was trying to sabotage the US release of Fahrenheit 911 just days before its world premiere at the Cannes film festival.

Instead, it lent credence to a growing suspicion that Moore was manufacturing a controversy to help publicise the film, a full-bore attack on the Bush administration and its handling of national security since the attacks of 11 September 2001.

In an indignant letter to his supporters, Moore said he had learnt only on Monday that Disney had put the kibosh on distributing the film, which has been financed by the semi-independent Disney subsidiary Miramax.

But in the CNN interview he said: "Almost a year ago, after we'd started making the film, the chairman of Disney, Michael Eisner, told my agent he was upset Miramax had made the film and he will not distribute it."...

What a political hack!

Hopefully, people will realize that he is full of crap and this movie will tank and he'll never work again.

Link
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Thu 6 May, 2004 11:14 pm
OK
Oh, Mr. Moore is sly. I will still rent the DVD when it comes out because his films are interesting and often humorous.
0 Replies