Disney Forbids Distribution of Moore Film

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:12 am
There was no admission of lying but that the final decision was made and the agent was given the reasons for not wishing to distribute the film:

http://edition.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/06/moore.disney/
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 12:27 am
I don't really see anything funny about a company like Disney being so scared of the Bush family that they decided not to release this movie. Love Moore or hate him, "Bush fear" (or FCC fear) is rampant in the entertainment industry right now, and that, IMO, is a real issue that deserves addressing.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 07:21 am
cavfancier wrote:
I don't really see anything funny about a company like Disney being so scared of the Bush family that they decided not to release this movie. Love Moore or hate him, "Bush fear" (or FCC fear) is rampant in the entertainment industry right now, and that, IMO, is a real issue that deserves addressing.

My suspicion is they fear having to pay their fair share of taxes in Florida.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:31 am
I don't know about Moore implicating his agent in divulging this information about the Florida taxes but we'll have to see how it infolds before we know if it is a fabrication. I seriously doubt it considering how politics works in its machiavellian process.

Saying he knew a year before doesn't make it a fabrication -- the film hadn't gained any notoriety until its nomination at Cannes and the premier. I'll practically guarantee it appeared somewhere in the trades but wasn't considered a big news item by the major media. I wouldn't doubt that Moore could have played that up no more than I have no doubt Mel Gibson who knew that Passion plays were considered anti-semitic even by the Catholic church a year before he previewed his film. There's been a suspicion he purposefully leaked out the controversy. Although it's possible in both cases, I wonder if we will ever know if that's what occurred. Moore and Gibson are smart guys and both have had problems in distributing their films. In fact, Gibson was told by studios and distributors at least a year before that no matter what anyone thinks Passion plays are too controversial, and because of the origins of the script relying on the nun Emmerich (known as a virulent anti-semitic) texts, they were reluctant to distribute the film.

Moore will get distribution and Mel will go on to use his gains to make "Mad Max III." (Will "Mad Max" find faith in the turmoil of the future? Laughing ).
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:48 am
MICHAEL MOORE ADMITS DISNEY 'BAN' A STUNT

Filmmaker and waste of oxygen Michael Moore has admitted that he lied about Disney recently refusing to distribute his film. Anyone surprised? I didn't think so. Turns out there was no recent decision on the part of Disney to not put out his partisan, Bush-bashing picture....he was told over a year ago it wasn't going to happen. So much for the cries of censorship. Think the media will retract their stories? Of course not.

Moore admitted during an interview with CNN that he knew a long time ago Disney wasn't going to release it. This after he wrote a letter to his supporters saying he only found out Monday. So, he lied. Nothing new here...Michael Moore has been lying for years. Will the mainstream media call him on it?

Disney should sue him after that little publicity stunt. Why does anyone take this guy seriously?

Pistoff wrote:
Oh, Mr. Moore is sly. I will still rent the DVD when it comes out because his films are interesting and often humorous.

sly? He's a f'ing liar.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:57 am
Moore didn't admit on CNN that it was a stunt -- that's how the right media is characterzing it. Where's this letter to his supporters and does it actually say he just found out? I think this is a knee-jerk reaction from those who fear Michael Moore.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 08:59 am
(So let Disney sue him if it is actually true).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:28 am
Moore is getting more than his intended benefit from his stunt; he's getting the congress involved in whether corporations can censure movies. I personally make no judgement about the whys and wherefores; but this discussion reveals how people will interpret any issue from their own perspectives even when not fully informed. Wink
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 09:31 am
The letter I read, if it is the one in question, said that Disney had officially bowed out from distributing the film. Unless someone has a link to any official statement by Disney a year ago, this one is in limbo and just being used as fodder for those envious of Moore's success.

There's a button in the reply tool box to turn further text on this matter to green.
0 Replies

saintsfanbrian

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:13 pm
Jealous of his success? Don't think so. Sickened by his perversion of the facts involving Columbine and 9/11. Definately but hey, the green will still work.
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:22 pm
Lightwizard,

Here's a copy of Moore's letter to subscribers that landed in my mailbox:

Quote:
Disney Has Blocked the Distribution of My New Film... by Michael Moore

May 5, 2004

Friends,

I would have hoped by now that I would be able to put my work out to the public without having to experience the profound censorship obstacles I often seem to encounter.

Yesterday I was told that Disney, the studio that owns Miramax, has officially decided to prohibit our producer, Miramax, from distributing my new film, "Fahrenheit 911." The reason? According to today's (May 5) New York Times, it might "endanger" millions of dollars of tax breaks Disney receives from the state of Florida because the film will "anger" the Governor of Florida, Jeb Bush. The story is on page one of the Times and you can read it here (Disney Forbidding Distribution of Film That Criticizes Bush).

The whole story behind this (and other attempts) to kill our movie will be told in more detail as the days and weeks go on. For nearly a year, this struggle has been a lesson in just how difficult it is in this country to create a piece of art that might upset those in charge (well, OK, sorry -- it WILL upset them...big time. Did I mention it's a comedy?). All I can say is, thank God for Harvey Weinstein and Miramax who have stood by me during the entire production of this movie.

There is much more to tell, but right now I am in the lab working on the print to take to the Cannes Film Festival next week (we have been chosen as one of the 18 films in competition). I will tell you this: Some people may be afraid of this movie because of what it will show. But there's nothing they can do about it now because it's done, it's awesome, and if I have anything to say about it, you'll see it this summer -- because, after all, it is a free country.

Yours,

Michael Moore
[email protected]
www.michaelmoore.com

--------------------------------------
To Unsubscribe, please click here.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:34 pm
Quote:
Moore said media companies such as Disney must allow all voices to be heard.

"We live in a free and open society where dissent is not to be stifled or silenced. They have violated that trust," he said.

"We have only got a few studios left and if we get to a point where they can decide that only these voices can be heard, how free and open is our society at that point?"

Link

Someone will show his film just so they can get some money out of the deal. But speaking of speech that can't be heard, just try to find a National Rifle Association advertisment on any TV or radio channel.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:48 pm
Those who take Moore's high charged political comedy by the letter are finding they are looking at facts as only having one final truth. Facts can be arranged in many ways to support a falsehood for some or they can reveal the truth for some. It's up to each invidual to decide if Moore is getting to the truth instead of trying to fruitlessly pick at what they believe are discrepancies and then inadequately try to convince that they are using logical scientific analysis. That's the same method the nutcase who claims we never went to the moon used to deceive (that he is also deceiving himself almost becomes a moot point).
I've looked at all these amateur sites that try to rebuke Moore's conclusion and they are inconclusive. That they are so adament brings me to believe that they protesteth too much.

If this is an all out comedy of errors genre of satirical comedy I could find it both entertaining and enlightening even if I am sometimes skeptical of Moore's tactics.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 03:50 pm
Whether you want to believe Moore pulled off a promotional stunt or not, it's without a doubt like everything else he touches that it will make money.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Fri 7 May, 2004 10:16 pm
Lightwizard wrote:
Those who take Moore's high charged political comedy by the letter are finding they are looking at facts as only having one final truth. Facts can be arranged in many ways to support a falsehood for some or they can reveal the truth for some. It's up to each invidual to decide if Moore is getting to the truth instead of trying to fruitlessly pick at what they believe are discrepancies and then inadequately try to convince that they are using logical scientific analysis.

I guess it depends upon how one defines the word "is."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 06:27 am
Quote:
News is what somebody somewhere wants to suppress; all the rest is advertising. (Lord Northcliffe)

Quote:
You can fool all of the people all of the time if the advertising is right and the budget is big enough. (Joseph E. Levine)

Quote:
There's no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary. (Brendan Behan)

Quote:
I don't care what you say about me, as long as you say something about me, and as long as you spell my name right. (George M. Cohan)

take yer pick.

link to the above - don't follow the link unless you love pop-ups ...
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 07:58 am
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 08:01 am
Depends on what really is true! Laughing
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sat 8 May, 2004 08:45 am
(Crow is now being served).
0 Replies