RainSoft water softener problems

mrwetwilly

Fri 10 Jul, 2009 07:59 pm
@bigmamma,
A No Salt water softener simply means you can either use the MORE expensive (99.9% salt free) "Potassium Chloride" , or it is a system that doesn`t remove the hardness, but rather transforms it so that it will no longer stick to clothes, skin, appliances, etc... Yes, it`s still in the water, so you are still drinking it.
Magnets: If you`ve been researching the internet and reading documentations and you`re considering buying a magnet water softener, then (((STOP)))
Run, (don`t walk) to the nearest phone and call me immediately!
I have some swamp land in South Florida that you can`t live without!
I make good deal for you Joe
jcmuskie

Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:39 am
@gobansheego,
I have a rain soft system and there is a piece missing that runs from the back of the box with the timer in it to a motor behind that box that runs a couple of switches that cause the system to regenerate, can you tell me the part I need and where I might get it
H2O MAN

Wed 22 Jul, 2009 08:31 pm
@jcmuskie,

A nice clear picture would help...
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Mon 27 Jul, 2009 04:04 pm
@jcmuskie,
are the white cams still there? between the box and motor? if so the hex shaft is probably there also. there is a shear pin that connects the drive motor to the hex shaft that moves the cams. Replace and lube(dow 111) the orings on the spool assembly, replace the shear pin, and you should be ready to go.
0 Replies

tectl

Tue 28 Jul, 2009 02:42 pm
@Waterguy,
Lifetime what? They have event resorted to work, based on a complaint, being only 'warrantied' for 30 days. What does that tell YOU? On top of this, ours hasn't worked right since the inception, the repair guy has bent over backwards but the rest of the company is a bunch of opportunitists. On top of this the standard line is that they are a marketing company which means that they are out to make money and to screw the customer. I can assure you that if there is a class action suit I will be the first to jump on board with this. They tell us it's the Florida water, well don't sell in Florida if you know your unit doesn't solve the problem and will only make things worse!
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Thu 30 Jul, 2009 09:02 am
@mrwetwilly,
mrwetwilly wrote:

A No Salt water softener simply means you can either use the MORE expensive (99.9% salt free) "Potassium Chloride" , ....

All ion exchange water softeners can use potassium chloride, although the resins are all sodium form. Thereby potassium chloride is not as efficient as sodium chloride.
0 Replies

yantman

Mon 3 Aug, 2009 09:50 am
@Waterguy,

I have a Rain Soft EC4 softener and have lost the programming manual and can't remeber what the " S,A, etc" in the configuration mean. Would you forward an explaination so I can re program it?
Thanks
Steve
spikealert

Wed 5 Aug, 2009 12:43 pm
I've had my Rainsoft system for 10 years now and I love it. I think these blogs can be very helpful to new costumers but keep in mind, each area is owned by a different dealer. The customer service experience you may receive in Florida can be very different from a dealership in Ohio.

What I love most about my system is the lifetime warranty. Yes, you do have to pay for some up-keep with filters and maitenance, but overall this is a great company to work with. If you do your research, Rainsoft has been in business for over 50 years and many other competitors have not.

Message me for any specific questions.
Andy CWS

Wed 5 Aug, 2009 07:49 pm
@spikealert,
You're right about dealerships--some being capable and others disappointing. However, I am always leary of any so-called "life-time" warranty as it is usually very vague and not well understood by the customer.

A warranty can simply mean that just one part may be covered in a small way for the life of the unit. It can be as insignificant as a handle or dial and not the important and essential parts. But a sales rep shouldn't mislead by flashing LIFETIME at prospects and not defining what is covered in detail.

With the Rainsoft unit, what is covered? Is it pro-rated? I was never able to understand how the Rainsoft units are technololgically better than say a Culligan with its aquasensors or an Ecowater with remote monitoring or the Kinetico with is continuous service. I jst can't understand what is specail about Rainsoft....except it has a Life-Time, albeit mysterious, warranty.

Looking under nsf.org, I don't see even one Rainsoft unit certified for performance, manufacturing quality or any other certification for drinking water system or whole house systems. I find that rather amazing for a 50-year-old water treatment company.
http://www.nsf.org/Certified/PwsComponents/

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
Gary Slusser

Thu 6 Aug, 2009 08:37 am
@Andy CWS,
Andy CWS wrote:
A warranty can simply mean that just one part may be covered in a small way for the life of the unit. It can be as insignificant as a handle or dial and not the important and essential parts. But a sales rep shouldn't mislead by flashing LIFETIME at prospects and not defining what is covered in detail.

With the Rainsoft unit, what is covered? Is it pro-rated? I was never able to understand how the Rainsoft units are technololgically better than say a Culligan with its aquasensors or an Ecowater with remote monitoring or the Kinetico with is continuous service. I jst can't understand what is specail about Rainsoft....except it has a Life-Time, albeit mysterious, warranty.

Looking under nsf.org, I don't see even one Rainsoft unit certified for performance, manufacturing quality or any other certification for drinking water system or whole house systems. I find that rather amazing for a 50-year-old water treatment company.
http://www.nsf.org/Certified/PwsComponents/

Andy Christensen, CWS-II

A handle or knob!!!

You're seriously stretching now but, as a member of teh WQA, badmouthing another brand etc. is in violation of the ethics agreement you agreed to. Yet you see yourself as, and claim to be "Professional"... Someone ought to report you.

And the truth be told, the vast majority of companies do not certify their softeners and other water treatment equipment and they work just fine.
Andy CWS

Thu 6 Aug, 2009 07:55 pm
@Gary Slusser,
Sorry, Gary, I wasn't badmouthing anything--just stating facts and opinions. Or is that something you never do? What is that I am badmouthing? I was asking for him to define the quality of his chosen product and clarify his opinions and statements. Fair enough, I should say.

I have made no judgment calls here; said nothing was bad; or use terms like rip-off, liar, cheat, etc. Do you know anyone who uses those terms a lot, Gary? Speaking of stretching it!!

But, be my guest and report it if you have the courage to. That's what I thought.....

Secondly, I have never 'claimed' to be professional. Those who continuous do are usually anything but. I would be very weary of going into a doctor's office and have him spend twenty minutes pointing to his diploma and saying how he completed medical school. He is a professioanl because he is one and behaves accordingly.

One thing professions avoid is being petty, spiteful and childish, so thank you for your comments.

Andy Christensen, CWS-II
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Fri 7 Aug, 2009 01:03 pm
@yantman,
I don't know if this will work go here http://www.rainsoftofhouston.com/rainsoft-manuals.html
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Fri 7 Aug, 2009 01:59 pm
@Andy CWS,
the Rainsoft warranty is very specific in what is covered, electrical or otherwise. It also states about the service call. A copy of the Warranty is included with the manuals that come with the system.
What I find most of the time, is that people get confused about the difference between "warranty" and "guarantee".
People expect that with the "Limited Lifetime Warranty",that their system is never going to break down, yet every year they will call the furnace guy to come check it out and get it ready for them to use. They don't call the Rainsoft guy , till it isn't working , hasn't worked for months, sometimes years, then will complain about the charge for a service call.
Let me ask this question, when you buy a car, what dealer goes into detail about the entire "warranty" ? Like most people know that tires, brakes, and oil need to be changed, at their expense. But no, parts don't wear out on a conditioner? and I shouldn't have to pay? Well after all they only want good water 24/7/365. Well I'm done with my rant.......
I hope that you 2 guys kiss and make up so that questions get answered instead of fighting with each other.
Gary Slusser

Sat 8 Aug, 2009 07:48 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Joethewaterguy wrote:

the Rainsoft warranty is very specific in what is covered, electrical or otherwise. It also states about the service call. A copy of the Warranty is included with the manuals that come with the system.
What I find most of the time, is that people get confused about the difference between "warranty" and "guarantee".
People expect that with the "Limited Lifetime Warranty",that their system is never going to break down, yet every year they will call the furnace guy to come check it out and get it ready for them to use. They don't call the Rainsoft guy , till it isn't working , hasn't worked for months, sometimes years, then will complain about the charge for a service call.
Let me ask this question, when you buy a car, what dealer goes into detail about the entire "warranty" ? Like most people know that tires, brakes, and oil need to be changed, at their expense. But no, parts don't wear out on a conditioner? and I shouldn't have to pay? Well after all they only want good water 24/7/365. Well I'm done with my rant.......
I hope that you 2 guys kiss and make up so that questions get answered instead of fighting with each other.

Joe, I agree with you except on the last part; your last comment/sentence.

What questions do you see that are not answered?

BTW, I don't see you answering many questions and as here, you didn't quote Andy but you too are correcting something he has said. Should I, and OPs, consider that as you "fighting" with him?

You should notice that I too defend and correct things that are said about me or things I say or that like here with you and Andy, are simply incorrect misleading lies. And anyone that sees that as "fighting" may want to question their PC correctness thinking and understand that we are debating differences of opinions and if they can't defend their opinion and prove it is correct, maybe they are a bit too sensitive to post here.
Joethewaterguy

Sun 9 Aug, 2009 05:19 am
@Gary Slusser,
sorry Gary,
it just seems that sometimes the subject tends to get sidetracked.
Gary Slusser

Sun 9 Aug, 2009 08:59 am
@Joethewaterguy,
Well we are on page 9 of a thread that started in May 2004. S o I don't think the OP cares much.
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Sun 9 Aug, 2009 11:59 am
@Gary Slusser,
Gary, I do answer most of the Rainsoft specific questions, other posts,newer posts, except the ones that want a manual. User manuals can be found fairly easily on line.
Andy CWS

Sun 9 Aug, 2009 05:00 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
Joe, I sent you a PM...
Andy
0 Replies

Gary Slusser

Sun 9 Aug, 2009 07:14 pm
@Joethewaterguy,
I agree, yes you have been. So why the off topic comment?
0 Replies

Rippedoff

Tue 11 Aug, 2009 07:02 am
Rainsoft is not only a terrible system but the customer service is downright aweful. Their lying and deceiving sales practices should be illegal. I have already contacted all of the local news stations and forwarded my story to them. I have also sent letters to all of the local news papers throughout the Delaware and Philadelphia area. Do yourself a favor, never buy this bogus product or the lies they use to sell it..