RainSoft water softener problems

tbase

Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:35 am
Still not working !!
tbase wrote:
H2O_MAN wrote:
tbase wrote:

I tore the whole thing apart again today, lubed all O-rings, and reassemled it.

Terry, did you replace the three piston O-rings with new ones?
No, I did not. I lubed them with silicone lube given to me by a former Rainsoft agent, whom I know.
I can do that, though. I have spare rings, given to me by the same person.
Also, I removed the brine refill screen two weeks ago, as I found it clogged. However, that did not fix the problem. Something is trapping the white ball in the top of the clear plastic chamber. It performs well in all steps except brine refill.
I will replace the O-rings tomorrow, and reply again. Thank you for your help.
Terry

Well, I finally was able to crawl into my crawlspace. I replaced the three O-rings on the plunger, replaced the brine injector tube, the two shut-off tabs, and lubed all O-rings with silicone lube.
Reassembled it, and ran it through two cycles manually, pausing at each rotation of the cams.
It is doing the same thing it was doing. In order for me to get the brine tank to fill, I must push the master shutoff valve to "bypass", and then disconnect the brine refill tube from the clear plastic Tri-guard Brine Control chamber. I have to do this to allow the white plastic ball to fall out of the top hole, where it is being held by water pressure in the chamber. After I let it fall below the port coming in the side/top where the brine fill tube connects, reconnect the tube, and move the master valve to "push for soft water" position, it will then allow the water to flow through, and out the top, through the tube going to the salt tank. Now I am even more stumped.
Thanks.
Terry
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:54 am
Terry, I am also stumped.
I wish I had some pictures to look at... I wish you lived in my service area.

Two lines go to and from the tri-guard, the top one goes to the salt tank and the bottom one to the valve.
The bottom one fits flush against a gasket inside the tri-guard and the other end fits into a screened fitting that threads into the valve.

Check the brine lines for cracks and holes.

Did you replace the little poppet that sits in the base the tri-guard threads onto?

Can you hear any hissing noise when you go thru cycles?

I'm just throwing ideas out because I'm stumped.
tbase

Sat 9 Jul, 2005 11:59 am
Hey, maybe you just fixed it! I did not see a poppet in the base that the triguard screws onto !
I did see two little plastic poppets in the bag of parts the ex-rainsoft guy gave me.
I am going back under the house. That sounds like a possible cause for the pressure in the triguard, I bet.
Will advise.
Thanks.
Terry
0 Replies

tbase

Sat 9 Jul, 2005 12:45 pm
FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAD TO "INSTALL" THE POPPET, NOT REPLACE IT. IT APPARENTLY HAD FALLEN OUT TWO VISITS AGO FROM MY FRIEND. AT THAT TIME, HE REPLACED A TRIGUARD THAT HAD A SMALL CRACK THAT WAS LEAKING. A WEEK LATER, WHEN I CALLED HIM AND TOLD HIM IT ONLY WORKED FOR A COUPLE DAYS, HE CAME BACK AND NOTICED THE WHITE BALL IN THE TOP OF THE TRIGUARD, BUT OFFERED NO SOLUTION.
A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, I NOTICED THE POPPET LYING IN THE GRAVEL UNDER MY HOUSE, BUT DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS PART OF THE SYSTEM.

WELL, I THANK YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS THING FOR THREE MONTHS, AND AT 64, AND 6' 3", I AM NOT TOO GOOD AT WORKING IN CRAWL SPACES!
THANKS AGAIN.
TERRY
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sat 9 Jul, 2005 01:39 pm
tbase wrote:
FIXED IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HAD TO "INSTALL" THE POPPET, NOT REPLACE IT. IT APPARENTLY HAD FALLEN OUT TWO VISITS AGO FROM MY FRIEND. AT THAT TIME, HE REPLACED A TRIGUARD THAT HAD A SMALL CRACK THAT WAS LEAKING. A WEEK LATER, WHEN I CALLED HIM AND TOLD HIM IT ONLY WORKED FOR A COUPLE DAYS, HE CAME BACK AND NOTICED THE WHITE BALL IN THE TOP OF THE TRIGUARD, BUT OFFERED NO SOLUTION.
A COUPLE WEEKS AGO, I NOTICED THE POPPET LYING IN THE GRAVEL UNDER MY HOUSE, BUT DIDN'T REALIZE IT WAS PART OF THE SYSTEM.

WELL, I THANK YOU MORE THAN YOU CAN IMAGINE. I HAVE BEEN FIGHTING THIS THING FOR THREE MONTHS, AND AT 64, AND 6' 3", I AM NOT TOO GOOD AT WORKING IN CRAWL SPACES!
THANKS AGAIN.
TERRY

Excellent!
0 Replies

redranerose2004

Thu 14 Jul, 2005 05:32 am
rainsoft { joke of the century}
We bought a rainsoft filter system a few years ago and we were PROMISED by the salesman that came out to install it that this filter system would handle ANYTHING that came through it...... WRONG!!! a few months later our water got so bad we couldnt drink it so we called rainsoft again and were told that in order to fix the problem we would have to buy an additional bleach filter system to go along with our salt system to fix the problem. It has been one nightmare after another and ended up costing us a fortune. My husband spends most of his time trying to keep the blasted thing going and now the motor is out on it, SO again we are down to buying and hauling water with a very expensive system setting out there doing absolutly NOTHING!!! I regret ever dealing with this bunch of liars!! And I might add, any of you people sticking up for rainsoft, just come on out to my house and try gettin a drink of my water or doing a load of laundry in my water, I think you'll change your mind about ur wonderful rainsoft filter system! Linda Duncan, Wister oklahoma.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 15 Jul, 2005 05:38 am
Re: rainsoft { joke of the century}
redranerose2004 wrote:
We bought a rainsoft filter system a few years ago and we were PROMISED by the salesman that came out to install it that this filter system would handle ANYTHING that came through it...... WRONG!!!

Linda Duncan, Wister oklahoma.

Linda, you had a salesman that did not know what he was doing or a sales office that uses a back door sales approach.
Either way your not happy and RainSoft needs to step in and make things right.

It sounds like you now have a chlorine chem-feed system.
You should have a Stenner pump w/chemical resivor, a 120 gallon retention tank, a large backwashing carbon filter and finally your softener.

Contact RainSoft Customer Service and get satisfaction.

Good luck.
0 Replies

gobansheego

Sun 31 Jul, 2005 09:18 pm
Re: rainsoft should be talk of the town
H2O_MAN wrote:
redranerose2004 wrote:
We bought a rainsoft filter system a few years ago and we were PROMISED by the salesman that came out to install it that this filter system would handle ANYTHING that came through it...... WRONG!!!

Linda Duncan, Wister oklahoma.

Linda, you had a salesman that did not know what he was doing or a sales office that uses a back door sales approach.
Either way your not happy and RainSoft needs to step in and make things right.

It sounds like you now have a chlorine chem-feed system.
You should have a Stenner pump w/chemical resivor, a 120 gallon retention tank, a large backwashing carbon filter and finally your softener.

Contact RainSoft Customer Service and get satisfaction.

Good luck.
Twisted Evilnew to you all i am a rainsoft tech,and can help waterman answer any questions concering any brass valve ,or composite systems made by aquion between 1953 -2005
0 Replies

gobansheego

Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:47 pm
Re: RainSoft water softener problems
Pugama wrote:
I purchased one of these units several years ago for a price not worth the system. Does anyone know where to get parts and filters for these units? Going directly thru Rainsoft is a nightmare and their prices are ridiculous. Can anyone help?
if you ever come back i can help

Very Happy
0 Replies

gobansheego

Mon 1 Aug, 2005 08:51 pm
yes you are right
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Sun 7 Aug, 2005 06:38 am
RainSoft is for sale
For those of you that have any issues with your RainSoft water systems I suggest
you contact the home office and get action now because the company is for sale Shocked

I can not reveal my source but it is 100% reliable.

Good luck.
0 Replies

barracuda

Tue 9 Aug, 2005 10:44 am
Rainsoft water system problems
H2O_MAN, you seem to be the resident expert on these systems, I am planning on tearing into mine, I need to know where I can get parts for my system. Do you carry them?
My Rainsoft system is approx 10 years old, I believe it's model# 49A, or at least the timer is that model. It has stopped using salt and i believe the o-rings may need to be changed, based on some of the previous posts.
Thanks in advance!!

Scott
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Tue 9 Aug, 2005 11:42 am
Re: Rainsoft water system problems
barracuda wrote:
H2O_MAN, you seem to be the resident expert on these systems, I am planning on tearing into mine, I need to know where I can get parts for my system. Do you carry them?
My Rainsoft system is approx 10 years old, I believe it's model# 49A, or at least the timer is that model. It has stopped using salt and i believe the o-rings may need to be changed, based on some of the previous posts.
Thanks in advance!!

Scott

Hey Scott, I should be able to help.
#49A doesn't ring any bells... Could you take a picture or two of the
timer plate (what's behind the cover) and email them to me?

I have some questions:
Has the water level in the salt tank changed? It the unit keeping time?
Do you have any filter equipment installed ahead of the softener?
0 Replies

barracuda

Tue 9 Aug, 2005 12:17 pm
Rainsoft water system problems
Thanks for the response, I will snap a few pictures and email them to you in a few.
Scott
0 Replies

gobansheego

Tue 16 Aug, 2005 07:52 pm
anyone out there have rainsoft questions ask
Will help out anybody with questions about rainsoft,I'am a technician on rainsoft equipment ,please i want to help everybody, the equipment rocks
gobansheego

Tue 16 Aug, 2005 08:12 pm
For Sale?
Not for sure if that is correct or not,I've heard nothing about that! RAINSOFT for SALE
0 Replies

sharp10

Wed 17 Aug, 2005 04:07 pm
RainSoft Water Treatment
Whether the company is for sale or not makes no difference when it comes to service. RainSoft is one of the fastest growing companies in the world and it will continue to grow regardless of who owns it. It sounds like some Florida offices do have a problem with service. It is the largest RainSoft Dealership in the US. It is always a good idea to call the main headquarters 800-RAINSOFT or email to www.RainSoft.com for help when the local office can't or won't help. For all the people who have had problems, I am sorry and for each of you there are millions of satisfied customers out there who never think of getting online to post their positive comments. I have had RainSoft water in my home for 15 years, as well as my family and friends, and have never had a problem. There are a few simple things that must be done to keep it working correctly. The salt must be refilled every four to six months and older models need a nine volt battery every few years. REMEMBER: RainSoft is manufactured in Chicago by men , they are not made in heaven by GOD.
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Thu 18 Aug, 2005 04:42 am
Re: RainSoft Water Treatment
sharp10 wrote:
Whether the company is for sale or not makes no difference when it comes to service. RainSoft is one of the fastest growing companies in the world and it will continue to grow regardless of who owns it.
Remember Culligan? They were #1 until they were sold again and again.
RainSoft has been turned over once and the results were pretty good for sales growth and terrible for customer service and quality control.

sharp10 wrote:
It sounds like some Florida offices do have a problem with service. It is the largest RainSoft Dealership in the US. It is always a good idea to call the main headquarters 800-RAINSOFT or email to www.RainSoft.com for help when the local office can't or won't help.
It's a shame the largest RS dealer group (FL) has most of the customer service problems this same group also dictates national company policy.
The customer should be able to count on the selling dealer for service.

I am not here to bash RainSoft - I am here to help the customer if I can.
0 Replies

giarc25

Fri 19 Aug, 2005 09:16 am
I have a Rainsoft system in my house and know absolutely nothing about it. This seems terrible because I have lived in this house for almost 8 years now. I do know that sometimes it goes through a regeneration process that last for a long time. As far as I can tell it is set to do this in the wee hours of the morning, 3am. There has been a couple of times where I have heard it at 6am on my way to work and when I get home in the evening around 5-6pm i can still hear it. It becomes such a nuissance that I go out there and just start messing with it, just so it will stop.

Anyway, I have decided to try and educate myself about the system I have, however I have found zero information as to what model I have, nothing on google turns up anything close to what I have. I have however taken some pictures of the setup and have them hosted. I am clueless as to how the timers shoud be setup and what the manual regeneration and manual backwash dials mean and do.

To be honest, I dont know if this system is even working right. I know that something is wrong with my water lines in the restroom. There is some kind of build-up in the water lines in the shower, because the back pressure is so great that when I turn the water on in the bathtub, the back pressure forces water out of the showerhead, and the shower is in the off position.

Any information would be helpful, like I said, I know nothing about this system.

Below are the pictures I took. The salt tank sits on the far left. The cylinder bottle on the left has a label on it that says "Water Softener" and the cylinder bottle on the right says "Water Treatment".

Pic 1 - The setup

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/rainsoftsetup.jpg

Pic 2 - The Timers

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/rainsofttimers.jpg

Pic 3 - Timer for the Water Softener Cylinder

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/watersoftenertimer.jpg

Pic 4 - Timer Guts for the Water Softener Cylinder

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/watersoftenerinside.jpg

Pic 5 - Stamp inside the timer guts for the Water Softener Cylinder

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/watersoftenerstamp.jpg

Pic 6 - Timer for the Water Treatment Cylinder

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/watertreatmenttimer.jpg

Pic 7 - Timer Guts for the Water Treatment Cylinder

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/watertreatmentinside.jpg

Pic 8 - Stamp inside the timer guts for the Water Treatment Cylinder

http://www.tammysclothingcloset.com/pics/rainsoft/watertreatmentstamp.jpg
0 Replies

H2O MAN

Fri 19 Aug, 2005 11:19 am
Great pictures
You have the obsolete 14 day mechanical timers made by Intermatic for RainSoft.

The "Time of Day" bottom left - should indicate the correct time.
The "Regeneration Time" indicates the time that particular unit goes into backwash (as long as the time of day is correct)
Your softener is set to regenerate @ 2:30am and and use about 5 pounds of salt per backwash.
The filter (GAC) if you have chlorinated city water is set to backwash @ 4:30am.

I can not tell what pins are pulled up or pushed in for either unit however--
The softener usually has both Mon and both Thu pulled up and the rest of the pins pushed in.
This will have the unit backwashing twice a week.

If the filter is a carbon taste and odor filter I would push in all of the pins except for one Fri.
This will have the filter backwashing once every 14 days.

giarc25 wrote:
There has been a couple of times where I have heard it at 6am on my way to work and when I get home in the evening around 5-6pm i can still hear it. It becomes such a nuissance that I go out there and just start messing with it, just so it will stop.

I can tell by the piles of metal dust that your index lever and anti backlash lever are worn out.
This will cause the unit to malfunction and waste a huge amount of water.
I offer a mail order rebuild of the timer plates if you can not locate local service.

I don't know about the back pressure problem but I would follow the grey plastic drain lines exiting the right side of both valves) from both units and see where they lead...

The units look to be in very good shape but after 8 years of service I'm sure they both need a tune up with new O rings and drain/brine tabs.

Contact RainSoft Customer Service and request owners manuals for an Amazon Conditioner and an RF filter with 14 day mechanical timers.

I hope this helps.
0 Replies