RainSoft water softener problems

myacct59

Wed 16 Sep, 2009 03:49 pm
Yes I had the same problems with Discovery Marketing they are absolutely highway robbery on there charges and there service reps are also not up to par and look less than desirable....I called the manufactor and they sent me a manual on my system and walked me through my repair.... All for a great 30.00 cost. Discovery marketing wanted 125.00 just to come out and look at the unit thats crap!!!!! CALL THIS # FOR SERVICE WITH ANYTHING ON YOUR SYSTEM 1800-860-7638 and ask for technical and either Sam or
Pat are AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

ckschreck

Fri 25 Sep, 2009 07:48 am
@Waterguy,
So do you know how to reset the timer on a Rain Soft system? We just moved into a house with one and it's not using the salt, so I hope it's just a timer reset issue. Thanks!
donmas

Fri 25 Sep, 2009 01:13 pm
@Pugama,
What kind of part do you need we all parts for these systems
we will help in any way
0 Replies

Joethewaterguy

Sat 26 Sep, 2009 11:49 am
@ckschreck,
depends on the model number. need more info
0 Replies

sandlwood

Wed 30 Sep, 2009 11:09 am
@gobansheego,
We have a very old unit and it seemed to be working until we had a new well put in, it is a deep well as the old one was a shallow well, will that effect the water hardness? The water now smells and taste funny and there are rust stains in my dishwaher. What do we need to do?
Joethewaterguy

Thu 1 Oct, 2009 10:58 am
@sandlwood,
anytime that you drill a new well, it's a good idea to have it checked out. Hardness, ph, iron, sulphur and most of all potability could all change.
0 Replies

luigi001

Tue 20 Oct, 2009 07:05 am
I've had it, enough! Now that the unit has failed again (leaks) I will have my Cousin (a plumber) remove it. The neighbors, who are on or off wells, do not have a need for a water softener. Apparently the original owners who installed this equipment in this home were sold a bill of goods. Fails when power goes off. fails to cycle fails, fails fails.
Joethewaterguy

Sun 8 Nov, 2009 05:32 pm
@luigi001,
it sounds like you do need to have it removed , and don't buy a car, it needs serviced too, new tires, oil change, washer fluid, transmission fluid,brakes, rotors, bulbs....... fails fails fails,fails, fails, fails and so on
0 Replies

steveculver

Sat 6 Feb, 2010 07:02 pm
@Waterguy,
Wrong! there is another company out there that has a lifetime warranty on their product. A company called R1-Industries. And have you read the fine print on the Rain Soft warranty? If you have, the customer will end up paying any where from $500 to $1,000 to get their resin replaced. At R1 there is NO expense for the customer to have the resin replaced if the resin ever fails. Here is the web site www.r1-industries.net. Check them out!
Joethewaterguy

Sun 7 Feb, 2010 07:43 am
@steveculver,
I went to the website and didn't see anything on the warranty except check the card that comes with the system. Also, I don't think that even the worst smaller system out there uses 10.66 lbs of salt per day , minimum, as stated on the website,8-15 bags of salt per month. If they were running that much water to get it to regen every night at 11 lbs of salt, I'd be more concerned with the $10k water bill a month and not the $50 per month for salt
0 Replies

evancise

Mon 15 Feb, 2010 09:11 pm
@Pugama,
I get my Rainsoft filters from www.waterfiltersonline.com. Great prices and never had a problem.
0 Replies

Rik

Wed 24 Mar, 2010 08:01 am
I need to know how to dismantle my Rain Soft system from the existing plumbing. I am no longer using the softener for reasons I will not go into here. I just need to know if unhooking all in/out pipes is a major undertaking.
Joethewaterguy

Fri 26 Mar, 2010 02:03 pm
@Rik,
it's not really a big deal if you know plumbing, cut the system out before the bypass, if it has one, and replace it with pipe. The drain may need to be plugged, if it's running straight into a main.
0 Replies

rain soft user

Mon 3 May, 2010 08:52 pm
I need to reset my timer on my rain soft.. it goes off every monday night. I haven't replaced the filter because rain soft wanted $100 to do so, I couldn't afforded it, but I'm thinking about getting the filter and doing it myself. So until then can someone let me know how to turn it off.
0 Replies

lovetherain

Mon 24 May, 2010 03:26 pm
Hello,

I just bought a RainSoft home system (the RainSoft water purifier, air filtration, and tankless water heater) earlier this year in the greater St. Louis area. Yes, it was about as expensive as a cheap car ($12,800) to do this, but I have no complaints whatsoever on their products or service.

The men involved with the entire purchase process were easy to talk to and efficient at what they do. The first contact, of course, was the original sales representative. I had wanted water purification before I even called, so I was not really thrilled to listen to the WHOLE spiel but they did tell us how to maintain everything that first sitting and told us all the maintenance costs up front. They only needed one plumber and he was not able to install everything right away due to my natural gas co. failing to upgrade our intake capabilities for natural gas. (The house is kind of old, what can I say.) But, as soon as the gas co. got their end done, within 2 days everything was installed as expected. By the way, the distributor took charge of harassing my gas company for me - THAT was fantastic!

I do not regret the decision to purchase any of these products from RainSoft. I love the taste of the water, I love the lack of allergy issues, and I love endless hot water. My eczema has almost completely disappeared and other health problems are evaporating over time. My hair dries hours faster, too! My clothes are getting gentler washings, so they will last longer - a value that I appreciate. I couldn't ask for more.

There is one small down side to acquiring a RainSoft when your water is 10+ sort of hard. All the appliances you own that use water have acquired a build-up of crap since the day they were put to use. Water with nothing in it but H2O sloughs off the crap, which can kill the appliance. I have not lost any appliances yet from the RainSoft switch but I keep expecting it. This is an acceptable loss, in my perspective, since the appliances have already led a full life of service. I can see black chunks coalescing off the pipes from time to time, though that has gotten much less frequent now. I just inspect the water before I consume it and haven't had any problems with "accidentally" drinking it or cooking with it. I'm also very glad my pipes were converted to PVC before purchasing the house... I could just imagine them struggling to keep up with the influx of clean water. Another bonus is, you can tell RainSoft really thought through their product line. When you buy the complete purification system, there is a unit that goes under your kitchen sink that will do a second round of purification just to make sure that you have the purest water you can possibly get for consumption. This unit is attached to an extra faucet that they installed on my existing sink with no problem. But what amazes me is that the faucet head is shaped in a way that I have not had any problems getting it into my biggest pots and pans to cook with. It also doesn't trickle, it provides a high pressure stream of liquid, so getting 4+ quarts of water for soups does NOT take much time. I've used the on-tap filters in the past and the main thing I recall from that is that the water ALWAYS trickled out and it took so long to fill up a pot that I'd give up halfway through.

The tankless water heater is amazing, as anyone can expect. The air purifier caught me by surprise, though. I have four cats and several friends that are allergic to cats. Usually I have to be very careful to host any gatherings outside or take the get-together to their house. I threw a party for the first time in a year, so my allergy-laden friends swung by and were shocked to find a few hours in my house didn't completely destroy their comfort and had little to no allergic reaction at all. Previously it took just a few minutes for them to be uncomfortable! Of course, you can buy air purifiers elsewhere, but RainSoft makes my 9 to 5 existence much more convenient.

The soaps that come as part of the RainSoft purchase are amazing, too. Of course, with anything scented, you are bound to have certain likes and dislikes, so that's always hit or miss... but the exfoliating unscented oatmeal bars are amazing. The cleaning supplies work better than any other I've ever bought barring one set of supplies by BetterLife... but that is because they use pretty much all the same ingredients - go figure. I was also impressed that all the soaps biodegrade within 30 days.

I plan to contact RainSoft in the future to acquire more products from them, like a geothermal pump and a private residential generator - and probably anything else they offer that I like the idea of. They are so fast to install, I love it. Their prices are competitive, despite all the dissent I read in this forum. The tankless water heater cost just the same as those at Home Depot and Lowe's, the air purifier costs the same as other ones (or cheaper), so I know I've gotten a good deal. I also feel confident that I know exactly what to do when I give my RainSoft system its ten minutes of upkeep/maintenance every week.

Well, I hope this post helps someone else out. I first stumbled across this forum when I was 3 days into the purchase and it freaked me out for a few days because of all the negative reviews. I decided to wait a few more days, since the descriptions of customer service were so terrible and all the representatives I spoke to Needless to say, I'm a happy customer. There are bad apples in every barrel.
lovetherain

Mon 24 May, 2010 03:31 pm
@lovetherain,
Sorry I meant to say all the customer service reports on here were so terrible and my experience had been positive, so I stuck it out and I am happy with my decision.
0 Replies

Andy CWS

Tue 25 May, 2010 06:17 am
@lovetherain,
Your employers at Rainsoft would be proud of you.
bcrossod

Wed 2 Jun, 2010 01:59 pm
anybody with a rainsoft need to heave an "annual maintainance" yet? They are charging $105 for a 10 minute cleaning of the algae type sludge in the bottom of the unit. I asked if it was a bleach and soap deal to get it cleaned and the guy told me it was a complex compound of enzymes that will clean the sludge and the salt off the walls of the unit. Hmm, I wonder if I can do that myself for less than $105. Any thoughts?
0 Replies

bcrossod

Wed 2 Jun, 2010 02:00 pm
@Andy CWS,
I am thinking the same thing
0 Replies

Robert 747

Wed 11 Aug, 2010 06:27 pm
I have been a dissatisfied customer of RainSoft for several years. I purchased the unit for $3000+ , thinking I would have a trouble free experience for years to come. The unit has to have a timer motor every Christmas and various other servicing every year. My neighbors bought a Sears unit over 10 years ago and haven't needed any service. I looked up this site because the Rainsoft service guy is coming tomorrow to see why my unit isn't using any salt...again. This is at a charge of $125. I am encouraged to know that Florida is looking into this company for misrepresentation. The company should make their parts available to us so that we can save on simple repairs.