devriesj - My dad has pancreatitus...

Reply Sat 1 May, 2004 08:02 pm
I started this thread for those of you who have been so kind in caring and asking about my dad. Thank you for your kind thoughts, words and prayers. It means so much. You all are like another family to me. I suppose, by way of some sort of introduction I should tell you that his name is Bob, and he's 69 yrs. old. He's in ICU (Intensive Care Unit) in a hospital in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

Well, it's been a l-o-n-g week. He went into the hospital ER Monday night, April 24? (I think). I haven't been watching dates too well as you can imagine. After much pinching, poking and prodding (and by that I mean testing) the docs diagnosed him with pancreatitus, which is an inflammation or swelling of the pancreas. It's very serious. (He's hooked up to so many IV's!)
It has thrown many other things in his body off as well. For example: His blood sugar was a 'world record' 1,250! (normal is about 50 - 100) That alone could/should have killed him. His potassium and other eloctrolyte levels are also off. To make matters worse, he has an atrial fibrulation, meaning the atrial chambers of his heart are out of sinus (normal) rhythm. It's not a heart murmure, more like a flutter although words escape me as to how to describe it exactly.
He's been on a ventilator (breathing machine) since Tuesday night, and had two separate operations to remove blood clots from each of his lower legs. He's had a couple of stable yet critical days (meaning he's still in critical condition, but his levels (sugar, potassium, insulin...) are getting better and nothing else has gone wrong.
Today he had a low-grade fever (101*), but otherwise he's the same as yesterday. Thanks again for your concern. It helps a bit to write...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 4,247 • Replies: 57
No top replies

jespah

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 11:04 am
My best to Bob, and to you!
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 11:49 am
devriesj- I'll be thinking of you, and your dad!
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 02:36 pm
You are right - it is very serious. My ex had it three years ago and it was a long and worrying road to recovery but he did it and is as good as new. Keep the updates coming.
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:20 pm
I am sending psitive Reiki healing to him, devriesj, it is a bad and difficult disease but I too know someone who survived and is as good as new, so take heart!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:26 pm
Thinking of you and your dad, Bob.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:28 pm
Thank you all so much! - jespah, Phoenix, Eve, Clary, ossobucco! I'm headed to the hospital this evening to sit a shift.

p.s. He's had a "good" couple of days, his stats are better. Sugar's down to 90. He's had a low-grade fever, but that's to be expected with this disease.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:42 pm
This is a serious disease, but many patients are able to weather it and improve .

Best wishes to all.

It's good for you to visit with him, as it improves his outlook, even if the visits must be kept short.

Have the clergy visited him ( if you think this might also help him)?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:49 pm
All my best wishes, devriesj!

My father died after he had to undergo an pancreatitus operation. Actually, he survived the opration by two years: it was a change of 10:90 that he survived, because he went years to late to the hospital - being a hospital surgeon himself.

This, however, happened some time ago.

I'm sure, your father is been looked at at the best! And when he can leave the Intensive Care, tell him to take care of himself, since you all need him!

(I suppose, we didn't tell this my father clearly enough Crying or Very sad )

All the very best for you - and even more for your father!
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 03:49 pm
devriesj - as I said on another thread, don't forget to take care of yourself. You'll need to be strong and healthy to help stay focussed on your dad's needs, and all the medical things that are going on around him. It sounds like he has an alert medical team - and a loving daughter.

<virtual hugs and real good thoughts> winging westward toward Grand Rapids.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:39 pm
Devriesj, please do take care and let me know if there's anything I can do--- moral support, prayers, lighting candles...
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 08:45 pm
More good healing thoughts...!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 2 May, 2004 09:21 pm
devriesj - I learned a lot about pancreatitus from my cats (Less traumatic than having a parent come up with the disease). Most of what I read was about the disease in humans. It is definitely treatable. I'm so glad to hear he's recovering well.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 10:33 am
Devriesj; my thoughts are with you both. I don't know much about this disease, but I have every faith that he will get better. Don't forget to keep on informing us about everything..

0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 11:06 am
One of the hardest parts of having a loved on in the Intensive Care Unit is the disruption of routine for the rest of the family. Please remember any impatience you feel is perfectly normal.

Unfortunately, stressful situations don't always bring out the best in every family member. Gritting your teeth is a perfectly acceptable way of coping. You don't have to love anyone who is being distinctly unloveable at the moment.

My thoughts are with you and your father and the rest of the family.
0 Replies

devriesj

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:29 pm
Thank you all so very much! I think this is helping me more than him, but I do appreciate it. Your good wishes have overwhelmed me.
Thank you to: Miller, Walter Hinteler, ehBeth, Cinnesthesia, sozobe, littlek, drom-, and Noddy24!
Miller: His pastor has visited & we're keeping him
updated.
Walter: I'm so sorry to hear about your father, and
I'll take your advice.
Beth: I'm doing my best to find the balance in all of
this! I'm trying to take good care of me too.
Cinnesthesia: Yes to all of the above!
Thank you all again for your kindness, hugs, good thoughts and wishes.
p.s. He's basically the same today. They're constantly running tests, but they all seem to come back with good reports. I'm going in again later this afternoon.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:30 pm
That sounds encouraging! Hope the news continues to be good.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:31 pm
It will steadily go positive onwards, I'm sure!
0 Replies

Clary

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 01:40 pm
Continuing to send you and your father Reiki, and expecting the best possible outcome.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 3 May, 2004 08:47 pm
You and your dad are in my thoughts, devriesj. Please keep us posted.
0 Replies