They're Killing Healthy Animals in Denmark Again

izzythepush

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 05:28 am
@Brandon9000,
Life imprisonment is adequate punishment. Capital punishment is barbaric. Universal Health Care means no Danes die from preventable illnesses because they can't afford to see the doctor or pay for medicine.

How many Americans die from preventable diseases every day because they can't afford medical costs?

Nobody's started a thread about that.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 06:50 am
@VictorKh,
VictorKh wrote:
There is some difference here. Pigs and cows were born specially for having been killed. The would not born in other case.

To whom or what do you think it makes a difference --- the pigs and cows? I don't think they know about the difference, nor that they would care if they knew it.
Thomas

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 07:02 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
When I consider killing zoo animals because their lives are an inconvenience, I do not have to consider any other issue. I can reach a moral conclusion about it without considering any other issue.

What moral issue are you considering when you're in a retail store and decide to buy the steak rather than the tofu? Are you buying the steak because the people who produced it did something different to the cow than the Copenhagen zoo did to those lions? Or are you buying it because steak tastes better to you than tofu, and because you don't even stop to think that there's a moral issue involved?

Brandon9000 wrote:
As for meat animals, their deaths do serve the purpose of feeding people,

To whom do you think that makes a difference? Do you think these animals would care?

Brandon9000 wrote:
If you don't feel this way, in my book it's pretty much proof that you don't have much empathy.

I see. If someone disagrees with you, it pretty much proves that something is wrong with him personally. That's convenient.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 07:06 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
You've only established that the Danes neither punish the guilty (adequately) nor spare the innocent. Hardly a mark of civilization.

Where did you get the idea that the Danes don't punish the guilty? They do, and they certainly punish murderers --- with life in prison. Given the absence of any statistical evidence that killing murderers deters murder any more than life sentences do, I do consider that a mark of civilization. Your taste may differ.
Thomas

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 07:15 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
If you don't feel this way, in my book it's pretty much proof that you don't have much empathy.

One final counterpoint to this particular argument: In my life experience, it has proven consistently useless to try to judge the character of people by what they feel, let alone what they say they feel. A far more reliable test is to observe people's actions. That's why I get sarcastic when I see meat-eaters sob emphatically over the culling of a lion or four. I'm just not impressed by what this says about their character.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 07:32 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
You've only established that the Danes neither punish the guilty (adequately) nor spare the innocent. Hardly a mark of civilization.

Where did you get the idea that the Danes don't punish the guilty?

I somehow missed the adjective "adequately" in your post. I apologize. Still, life sentences are adequate punishment for murder, as shown by the fact that capital punishment provides no statistically-significant additional deterrence.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 09:56 am
There was an interesting interview on the CBC today with the administrator of the Copenhagen zoo. He says that as far as the Danish people are concerned, the important question is why people in North America are in the grip of such hysteria.
JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 10:35 am
@farmerman,
Farmer: Apparently Euro zoos are just big "feed lots" where butchering is part of the entertainment .
I too am on the record about this practice as being totally stupid.

But then you are on record as one who makes lame excuses for the USA killing children, farmer. What are we to make of that?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 10:43 am
@Ragman,
Ragman: Thanks for your reply. Also, thanks for shedding some light on that being a cultural difference, however, nothing excuses the practice. Eye opener, to say the least.

----------

Speaking of eye openers. The USA regularly murders children around the world. And you two dummies are worried about a ******* giraffe?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 10:57 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn: perhaps you will share with us the other reasons why Denmark is more "civilized" than the US.
---------

A no brainer, Finn, but it's noted that you missed it.

1. Denmark doesn't kill children in various countries around the world.
2. Denmark doesn't invade sovereign nations.
3. Denmark doesn't operate torture chambers around the world.
4. Denmark doesn't conduct illegal renditions.

This is so easy, Finn. What is wrong with you?

5. Denmark actually gives foreign aid that is really foreign aid.

6. Denmark doesn't spread chemical weapons and other WMDs around the world.

7. Denmark's soldiers don't rape and murder with impunity.

I could of course go on, but there's no need to further embarrass you and your ignorant peers.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Quote:

Whether or not you consider it ridiculous, I have a far greater sense of moral outrage over the deliberate killing (let alone cruelty) of an innocent animal posing no threat to anyone than of a high status human who commits a crime like abducting a fellow human and repeatedly raping and killing her.

I would rather the zoo animals continue to breath than the human monsters.

But your moral stand falls to pieces when it's the USA doing these actions, Finn. Why the incredible, not to mention hypocritical, double standard?

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:08 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn: Western Civilization has never held the lives of brutal murderers in high esteem.
---------

Lord, the hypocrisy!!!

Ronald Reagan, Richard Nixon, GWB, bush sr, Johnson, Truman, Jackson, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt 1&2, ... !
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:11 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn: Not to mention how hypocritical it is for people to unconditionally sanctify human life, irrespective of the sensible consequences of human behavior, and yet champion the freedom to exterminate the most innocent of human lives.
/////////////

You do understand just what it is you are saying, right, Finn?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:28 am
@Brandon9000,
Quote:

When I consider killing zoo animals because their lives are an inconvenience, I do not have to consider any other issue. I can reach a moral conclusion about it without considering any other issue. At worst, someone could say that whatever position I take is inconsistent with some other position of mine.

Stunningly inconsistent, Brandon, but then you aren't much different tha an farmer or Ragman or glitter or ... . You all embrace the USA slaughtering innocents around the world but you get your panties in a bunch over animals American hunters kill daily.

This goes beyond the usual meaning of hypocrisy. Is this American exceptional hypocrisy?
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 11:30 am
@Brandon9000,
Brandon: When you really don't want to kill, you figure out ways to avoid it.

:::::::::::::::::

Yeah, the term for that, Brandon, is diplomacy.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 01:08 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
the important question is why people in North America are in the grip of such hysteria

That's a very good debate ploy. "Put the issue squarely back on to some shortcoming of the negative position"

Their argument of "gene pool" is total turd feathers
farmerman

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 01:17 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:

To whom or what do you think it makes a difference --- the pigs and cows? I don't think they know about the difference, nor that they would care if they knew it.

Your lack of knowledge of how the cattle industries work is kinda frightening.
We don't breed minimal stock numbers to provide a "taste" of meat to the customer.
In the same fashion we don't breed an amount of zoo animals beyond carrying capacity of the enclosures. Really enlightened zoo management keeps records of POTENTIAL new stock and how it fits into the existing population. Even before animals are born or applied for, a plan as to how the carrying capacity will be maintained is provided to the nearest authority.

We do have a worldwide problem with all sorts of racing animals, from horses to dogs. Americans, Europeans, And especially Arab countries spend fortunes on stock and,with the exception of the few big winners ALL the rest of the animals disappear for "products"

Its not talked about much and its as cruel as the butchery of the exhibit animals and calling it "educational"

If its educational, why is the meat cut into chops and haunches. I don't think a damn bit of biology was taught.
JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 02:27 pm
@farmerman,
That's you in a nutshell, Eweman.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 28 Mar, 2014 02:37 pm
@farmerman,
Thomas just will never fit in, will he, Farmer, unless he learns to become a flaming hypocrite like you.

There's still time to escape the US rat race, Thomas. You just don't seem like the kind of guy to sell his soul for bright lights and shiny baubles.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 26 May, 2014 11:59 pm
Bengt Holst, Kopenhagen's zoo director, was voted "men of the year" in Copenhagen.
0 Replies