They're Killing Healthy Animals in Denmark Again

farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 07:47 am
@Ragman,
True dat.
My biggest concern is that the giraffe killing and butchering was done in unsanitary conditions with some expectation of "education". I found that argument disingenuous bullshit.
Its poor planning on the behalf of the zoo. Whether we like or don't like zoos, their biggest mission clearly is to preserve the genetic variability and vigor of its "guests". To engage in some wildly enthusiastic procurement of a specimen at the expense of euthanasia of two others is mindless management. The two they killed were still a breeding pair . I think its a matter of space and budget constraints that make them try to justify these actions as good Teutonic management. I aint buying any of it.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:01 am
@bobsal u1553115,
bobsal u1553115 wrote:

I'm writing my letter and I'm figuring out how to boycott a Danish product.

The last Danish boycott was organised by Moslems after drawings insulting the prophet Mohammed were published in a Danish newspaper. It had the opposite effect, sales of Lego shot up.

Considering bacon is one of their major exports a boycott by Moslems was a non starter from the beginning.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:05 am
@izzythepush,
boycotts don't prove anything. good ole fashioned international ridicule will do more. "Danish Zoo" will become a euphemism for
"Meat locker'
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:49 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:
Ragman wrote:
It is a public zoo..meant for public observation and consumption. Would you have wanted your children watching that slaughter?

No I wouldn't, and there would have been an easy way to avoid it: Notice the signs that "there will a lion culling at 12 pm tomorrow", and go to the lion's cage with my child at 12 pm tomorrow.

Grrrr. Of course I meant "don't go". I continue to stand by the rest of my post.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 08:54 am
@Thomas,
and we agree to disagree.
0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 09:29 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Ragman wrote:
Then why not have public hangings, in that case?

Because Denmark is a more civilized country than the US: Capital punishment is unconstitutional there. My rule of thumb is, if there's nothing wrong with doing it, there's nothing wrong with showing it to an audience that wants to see it.

There is nothing unnatural to have bowel movements. Would you sell tickets for people who are interested in the phenomena so that they could see it in a park? And how long would your demonstration last before the police were called?
saab

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 10:31 am
Why did the Copenhagen Zoo kill four lions?
They had gotten or will get a new stronger male lion, which with great probality will kill the old male lion.
There are two strong female lions who can produce new cubs and the one old female is too old for producing cubs.
The two young ones are too young to take care of themselves and also there was a chance they would have been killed by the new male lion.
No other zoo wanted any of these lions.
Had they kept the old ones there might have been incest and that would have weaken their genes.
Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:16 am
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
There is nothing unnatural to have bowel movements. Would you sell tickets for people who are interested in the phenomena so that they could see it in a park?

I believe things like this have happened under the auspices of modern art several times. If the owner of the park permits it and a willing organizer meets a willing audience, far be it from me to stop them. It's a free country. Personally, though, I'm not interested in participating in either of these roles --- and I don't have to. Again, it's a free country.

glitterbag wrote:
And how long would your demonstration last before the police were called?

I see no reason to call the police in the first place --- as long as everything stays among consenting adults (and children supervised by consenting adults).

PS: You're welcome to quote me, but in the future, please make sure that my text and your comment about it don't appear in the same quote box. You're confusing your readers on who said what.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:18 am
I've always hated zoos (animal prisons) so this Denmark thing is going to make a lot more people hate zoos and stay away from them, and hopefully in the future zoos will go bust and have to shut down..Smile
Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:21 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Ive gone through this and I think its a Eurocentric thing.

"Eurocentric"? It's a European zoo. Of course it's run under European norms. Why would Copenhagen run it under American norms instead?
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 01:49 pm
@Thomas,
No need to be nasty, you know what I said , [as in "its probably (entirely) a Eurocentric thing"].

Embrace it if you like, I just think its a dumb practice.
farmerman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 01:51 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:
and hopefully in the future zoos will go bust and have to shut down
So you just want to hasten the "6th Extinction" eh?. I'm sure the zoo keepers of the world will not sleep tonite knowing that you are against the concept of zoos.
saab

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:31 pm
@farmerman,

In 1995 it was controversial if predatory animals should be fed with forcemeat like in American zoos or carcase. Forcemeat made them loose their teeth.
Who ever had such stupid idea?
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:52 pm
@saab,
There is always a danger when introducing a new lion. At our local zoo, there was a female and male lion. The male lion died (not killed to get rid of, but died). Any way, they decided to get another new younger male lion to replace him. They did the normal stuff of trying to slowly introduce, but when they released him with the lioness - he within minutes mauled and killed her.

The lioness actually was spayed. I wonder why they would kill other lions for one lion. Especially where they are already been together less chance for a problem. I do not understand the part about having them reproduce at all if there is an overabundance of lions that they can kill healthy ones. If they are worried about them reproducing why not spay/neuter them?
Thomas

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 02:58 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
No need to be nasty,

Of course not. That's why I didn't say anything nasty.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 03:41 pm
@glitterbag,
glitterbag wrote:
There is nothing unnatural to have bowel movements. Would you sell tickets for people who are interested in the phenomena so that they could see it

there would be nothing new in that

there have been art installations featuring all kinds of human functions
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 03:44 pm
@Brandon9000,
Brandon9000 wrote:
They do have alternatives, such as relocating them to other zoos over time, but they are unwilling to make the effort.

that is incorrect. No zoo was willing to accept the lions.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 03:46 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

I too am on the record about this practice as being totally stupid.

and I'll stay on record as being in disagreement with you

0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 04:38 pm
@ehBeth,
Quote:
that is incorrect. No zoo was willing to accept the lions.

Accepting these lions would hurt their pride.
Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 05:00 pm
@maxdancona,
You shall be lionized for that one.
0 Replies