The Pitfalls of Marrying an American Woman.

izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:15 am
@Foofie,
A general compliment to all the women in New York and the surrounding area for showing such impeccable taste.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:15 am
@glitterbag,
So, what was the cake like?
chai2

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:10 am
@izzythepush,
Frothy I bet.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 01:57 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

A general compliment to all the women in New York and the surrounding area for showing such impeccable taste.

I still don't know what you are alluding to. Not a problem.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 02:01 pm
@Foofie,
I'm not going to bother spelling it out just for you, everyone else knows what I mean.
JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:06 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie: I still don't know what you are alluding to. Not a problem.

Do you know who Jon Arbuckle is, Foofie?

0 Replies

glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:06 pm
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:

So, what was the cake like?

Never found out, crazy lady with gun in her purse unsettled me, but Im not a big fan of dessert, too many are over done, too sugary for my taste. Never a big fan of candy, even as a kid. However, dark Belgian chocolate is delightful and toffee beckons to me, but after a few small pieces I'm good for months. But mr. Glitterbag has a huge hankering for sweets, so I cased the cased goodies for him. Actually, the diner's dessert display makes sub par cakes look very fabulous, generally the color and presentation are far superior to the flavor of
the item. Hense the stupid comment, if it's not good somebody should be shot. I don't say that any longer.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:27 pm
@glitterbag,
I like my sweets, and cakes, I have to keep an eye on it. I've given up chocolate for Lent, not for any religious reasons, I'm not remotely religious, but more as an exercise of will power and to appreciate Easter eggs a lot more.

I've never been in a situation remotely like the one you mentioned. I've witnessed plenty of pub brawls, but never felt remotely threatened. I'm a big guy, but not too big that someone would want to pick on me to prove a point. People tend to leave me alone. I guess I'm just lucky that way.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 04:56 pm
@izzythepush,
The woman didn't seem unusual until she started talking to me. I didn't think she would pull her gun out in the diner, but I attract crazy people, it would only be a few more minutes before she asked for my phone number and become my brand new beat friend. My husband is tall and serious looking, strangers tend to be deferential and I don't know why.

I'll tell you about the lunatic who showed up at my house to deliver an ionizer and I began to think I'd have to call the police to get her out. Just not right now. That lady was a terror, thank God there were two men here installing new carpet, they helped me guide her back to her car and move her along. I don't think she was dangerous, but I'm pretty sure she would have tried to spend the night to talk to me about Jesus, her chiropractor son who can cure cancer, and her amazing ability to touch people and cure them of heart troubles. The carpet guys were my heros.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 05:26 pm
@glitterbag,
I know exactly what you mean about being a magnet for special people, gb.

The better half and I tend to find they usually approach when we are sitting in a canteen/cafe/restaursnt and ask if they can borrow salt/sugar/chair etc., and within five minutes I tend to know their complete life and medical history whether I want to or not.

The other thing that happens to me is people I know turning up on the scene wherever I go on holiday. The record distance so far is Singapore.
Swapping planes on the way to Oz, we were lurking in the airport for a few hours and I was looking through the usual tourist tat in a shop. I vaguely heard my surname name being called and immediately felt a shiver down my spine and was straight back in the mid 70's.
I turned to see my old Geography teacher (one of my favourites at school) and had the weird experience of sitting in an airport pub and having a pint with him. Most surreal.

Another was a solicitor I used to see nearly every day in Court, but didn't recognise him as he was wearing bermuda shorts and sitting in an ancient monastery on Lesbos, which was located in the absolute arse end of nowhere.
He looked at me and I at him, we both scratched our heads and had to almost play 20 questions to work out where we knew each other from.

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 05:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Wow . . . that is, like, COSMIC . . . i had a geography teacher once't, too . . .
Lordyaswas

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 05:48 pm
@Setanta,
And did you bump into him 7000 miles away, having not seen him for about twenty years?
dlowan

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:02 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Ha. I can beat that. A friend of mine carried on a ten year relationship about which her beloved was well informed, but his was not.

In a small place like adelaide they kept news of this relationship contained within a circle which maintained confidentiality.....whether for good or ill.

By happen chance both couples were to be in Switzerland and my friend arranged to meet with her lover for coffee in a small town somewhere between where each couple was staying......a very small, obscure town.....hardly more than a village.

You guessed it......seen by a friend of his partner. Drama ensued.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
No . . . however, i once had that feeling that one does that someone is staring at one. I looked around, and saw this man who had "Paddy" written all over his face, and he was glaring at me. This was in a city far, far from the small town in which i was raised. It took me a while to realize that, with the changes brought about by age, i was looking at the parish priest of my childhood. I had no idea why he was glaring at me, and didn't really care. It got stranger still, though, when i was in a department store the next day, waiting in line in a snack bar, and had exactly the same sensation. I looked around and saw a woman on the escalator glaring at me. That also took me some time, and then i realized that she had been the object of my first adolescent crush, and had treated me very badly, with the disdain that only the ill-bred can muster. I later learned that she had married an usher from the local movie house, and now was unhappily married, and the mother of three children.

Otherwise, i escaped my childhood free and clear.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:12 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I have a former geography teacher who has been stalking me for 40 years. I wish I could send him to Singapore.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:45 pm
@Setanta,
On behalf of all my Paddy relatives, we now plan to haunt you everywhere you go. With leprechauns, banshees, the whole magilla.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:50 pm
Give it a rest, will ya? Do you know the origin of my screen name? Apparently not.
JTT

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 06:53 pm
@glitterbag,
Gb: I have a former geography teacher who has been stalking me for 40 years.

He probably wants to hear some of your fascinating ideas on English grammar.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:26 pm
@JTT,
Actually, he is more interested in the nutbags I attract. He knows about you, but like everyone else here, he thinks your a dullard. I defended you, he said you were a boring repetitive dullard asshole, and I told him, so what? I'm looking out for you JTT, I don't care how big of a jerk you are, this is America, embrace your jerkhood.
glitterbag

Reply Sat 29 Mar, 2014 07:52 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Give it a rest, will ya? Do you know the origin of my screen name? Apparently not.

You speak too soon Canadian dude. Yes Setanta is part of Irish mythology and of course also there is Carlos Santana who is an amazing musician, just not Irish? It's dangerous to live outside of the old country but still think you know everything about Irish Culture, particularly if you are still in your 40's.