I also agree with Hawkeye - between 40% and 60%. The nice thing is that you can have disputes - even ugly ones, and it doesn't carry across to other threads. Not that you are going to change his mind on anything, of course.
Usually I dont give an opinion here unless it is something that I have looked at in detail and made up my mind about. It is not likely that I will change my mind here because most of the time the stuff people are pointing out is stuff that I have long been aware of, and considered. But I am always looking to have my facts checked, I will always listen to something that has the potential to be a better argument. I am Zen, we think reality changes in time and location, we always need to keep an eye out for changes. And we are taught to question everything, and that even the lowest of the low class and/or uneducated might know something we dont, so we best give them a listen now and then just to check.
Things I have changed my mind about in part by listening here
1) the ignore function ...was very anti now kinda ok with it. I like telling the haters who gotta hate "You have a Ignore button, If I bother you use it, but regardless SHUT THE **** UP!
You made your point , I dont need to hear it one more time much less fifty, and you are degrading my day MKay? Be civil, Robert even helped you if you are too weak to do it on your own.
2) guns, was very anti now moderately pro thanks to the pro freedom lobby here...they got me
3) I now believe that there needs to be some reasonable rational agreed rules in the combat of idea...it needs to be a civilized process if we are going to get the most out of it. I used to be all for guerrilla warfare, I was not concerned about the civility of the drive for reform
4) I was not aware, because I was not paying attention, till I got here and started to study Firefly how much the political activists abuse the english language in their attempts to manipulate. I was not aware of how much scientists do the same thing when they are dealing with touchy political subject. It is one of the ways the science has become corrupted and now works poorly, but I had never looked much at that stuff till I got here. When I was looking for evidence to support my positions here I started to see all this stuff. I was amazed and heartbroken. And it really sucks that Firefly got away with that crap here for years and apparently no one even caught on to what she was doing and nailed her for it. I notice now, I am looking to see who is trying to deceive me by language tricks
5) almost a part of 4 but not, I had back in the 80's had some sense that language is important, but it was not till I got here and did #4 that I became a fanatic about the purity of language, about the capacity of language to carry an idea or a thought. FANATICAL! Nothing ever can be allowed to **** with the utility of language.
6) I used to be very sympathetic to the idea that hurt feelings, and that perceived wrongs not previously evaluation in the justice system, should sometimes drive the actions of others....to include public policy. No more. When I got here and noticed how nutty the victim culture advocates had gotten when I was not paying enough attention I changed my mind. Wow. These whining often dead wood general malcontents that we keep needing to haul around and feed need to get a tune up. Either try to learn and produce or STFU and go away I say now.