The Pitfalls of Marrying an American Woman.

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 11:27 am
You're just trying to egg him on.
Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 12:32 pm
@Setanta,
As the French would say, that's quite an ouef!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 12:37 pm
Omelet that one slide by me . . .
Ragman

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 01:47 pm
@Setanta,
Chicken, huh?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 04:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:
self depreciating

I'm going to use this somewhere, some time, on someone, and it's going to crack me up again.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 05:06 pm
@Lordyaswas,
I can imagine that this is as funny to some Brits as an article stereotyping Brits might be to some Americans. I'm sure it's author has nothing but good intentions (after all the final "pitfalls" are hardly insulting), but for it to be funny to me it would have more closely hit the mark. Like all French smell, and all Russians are drunks. Closer to home, all Floridians are old Jews from New York and all West Virginians have sex with their siblings.

I don't know how true it is that Americans are desperate to find Mexican restaurants in foreign lands, but they do seem to really like them over here. Actually they really like Tex-Mex restaurants, but then for many years they thought Cantonese cuisine was the only Chinese food available and had no clue that Chop Suey was an American invention.

This is pretty typical though and I expect that the British embrace of Indian cuisine has a similar element of imposing national tastes. Surely every Indian in every city, town and village isn't eating Tikka Chicken Masala.

The affinity for all things New Age is a really off the mark but to be expected from someone for whom "Americans" are those who live in cities on the East and West coasts. In any case, I know I saw a show on The History Channel wherein all sorts of Brits congregated at Stonehedge at certain astrologically precipitous times, so I would bet there isn't a real shortage of them who obsess about their chakras.

The bit about "woo" is just ridiculous, unless "woo" is simply the author's stand-in for generally willing to verbally express excitement. Such a practice would seem to butt up against the stereo-type of the reserved, emotionally restrained Brit, but then one only has to attend a football game in the UK to know this is baloney. I agree though that anyone constantly shouting Woo! Is insufferable, which is why I was never a fan of Ric Flair.

Americans in general, sad to say, don't know a whole lot about their own country, so I don't know why anyone would expect them to know much about the rest of the world, but I've never seen any evidence that the average Brit was steeped in global current events, and I suspect that the author really hasn't met very many Americans who defend their ignorance with "I'm an American." The ignorance is not born of arrogance, nor some sort of notion that all Americans are or should be geo-political dullards. They simply don't care, and there, apparently, is no compelling reason why they should. What is happening in Brussels or even the Ukraine has virtually no impact on their daily lives. And it's certainly not a manifestation of a lack of curiosity. American curiosity is deep and wide when it comes to the antics of boozy starlets and whether or not some cheating bastard murdered three of his four wives.

Cutlery habits. I suppose the British way of manning a knife and fork is more efficient than the American way, but since when is eating a race against time? Perhaps it means the Brits are culturally closer to prehistoric relatives who literally had to eat and run to avoid being eaten themselves. When I watch a Brit handle utensils there is a sense that I am seeing an expression of national anal retentiveness, but then getting bugged by a Yank's use of fork and knife could never be considered anal retentive.

Our notions of distance aren't absurd, they are American; and born of not only our geography, but our focus on personal transportation. I imagine the Mongols of long ago had similar absurd notions.

I'm writing this from the end of a trip to the Carolina's during which I met with several UK clients. One group made the odd decision to drive from Nashville to Hilton Head, and then could hardly talk of anything other than how the seven hour drive was torture. For most Americans a four hour drive is preferable to a flight of 60 minutes and a seven hour trip is hardly an ordeal. Different points of reference, but I guess you have to live on a relatively small island to find it funny.

To be fair, the author's final three nods to Americans are no more on the mark that his preceding playful criticisms.

We have plenty of snooty snobs who are quite comfortable looking down their noses at the genuinely down-to-earth folks who live outside of coastal cities, it's just that these are the very Americans who travel to the UK and assume an obsequies demeanor of subservience, hoping against hope that the culturally superior European will recognize that they are not the typical American. They're probably also the ones who gave this guy the idea that Americans are proud of their ignorance of international affairs.

I have no clue as to whether or not Brits enjoy sex. Americans sure do, and I bet Uzbeks, Congolese, Indonesians, and Australians do too.

I have to admit, the bit about teeth seems to hold truth. This is not to say there aren't millions of Americans with cesspits for mouths, but they certainly are rare among even the Middle Class. Could be the most successful Commie Plot in America: Imposing fluoride in our public water. As for the sort of snaggle teeth that can benefit from braces, I can only imagine the average Brit doesn't care, because the average Brit is snaggle-toothed.

This sort of stereo-typical ribbing can be funny and shouldn't be resented, even if one doesn't find it particularly funny. We all have to take ourselves less seriously.

chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 05:23 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

I don't know how true it is that Americans are desperate to find Mexican restaurants in foreign lands.....

A friend of mine, whose last name is Perez (Mexican-American) went to Scotland with his wife to visit her relatives.

They went to an Italian restaurant in Scotland that also featured Mexican dishes Confused and it proudly said on the menu "Made with Real Mexican!"

Gabe fell out laughing, telling his wife he was afraid to stay there, because he might end up on the menu the next night.
Germlat

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 05:27 pm
@chai2,
Nothing wrong with eating continental style...not rude or crude. It has actually more rules of etiquette than European style....not easy to master. Also the vast majority of Mexican restaurants in the U.S. Are Tex-Mex . Authentic Mexican food doesn't taste much like Tex-Mex. I like both.
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 05:38 pm
@chai2,
Cute story.

Did he, by chance, relate how he was perceived and treated?

Not to suggest that the Scots or anyone in the UK can be expected to give a "Mexican" a hard time but they did, after all , coin the term "Bloody Wog!"
Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 05:41 pm
@Germlat,
Germlat wrote:
Also the vast majority of Mexican restaurants in the U.S. Are Tex-Mex .

Apparently you were not inclined to read my novella length post. Not that I blame you.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:06 pm
American women depicted in the article are right about one thing. Mexican food should be everywhere. Like oxygen, or laughter.
Not that there is much Mexican food in the US, though. Only ersatz Mexican food.

Now, the fork thing.
It's maddening. It looks clumsy to everyone else.
And please don't give any "slow food" arguments. Americans eat like if it was a racing competition.
When I was in boarding school in the US, ALL the American kids had finished eating their meal before ANY of the Mexican kids had.

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:13 pm
@fbaezer,
But the article wasn't comparing American eaters with Mexican eaters (given it's reliance on stereotypes it likely would have noted that Mexicans can take a day to sneeze).

And really, why should any American care that our style of utensil usage looks clumsy to others?
fbaezer

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:30 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

And really, why should any American care that our style of utensil usage looks clumsy to others?

That American would care if s/he was married to a foreigner who'd feel too amused or desperate about the (definitively) weird cutlery usage.

But you're right. Americans usually don't give a dog's ass about what others think of them. After all, they are Americans.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:34 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
It's not all Americans and it's not just Americans. Many Canajuns eat backwards as well. <shrug> It's entertaining, a little amusing, but no big deal overall.

The original piece was a nice light bit of humour, making fun of Americans and Brits alike.
fbaezer

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:36 pm
@ehBeth,
Canajuns are 'Muricans until they tell us they're not.

Then we treat them a bit better, and charge them a bit more.
ehBeth

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:38 pm
@fbaezer,
oy! don't even start that one!

I'll have to polite you to death.

Sorry.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:41 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

Finn dAbuzz wrote:

That American would care if s/he was married to a foreigner who'd feel too amused or desperate about the (definitively) weird cutlery usage.

But you're right. Americans usually don't give a dog's ass about what others think of them. After all, they are Americans.

If I married a foreigner and she was desperate about my use of a knife and fork, I'm sure I would realize I made a very, very bad marital choice.

When it comes to such things as how one employs a knife and fork, everyone on earth (including the apparently very sensitive Brits and Mexicans) shouldn't give a dog's ass about what others think of them.

By the way, it's very clear that Mexicans don't care about what Americans think about them. By my way of thinking, they shouldn't, but by yours it would seem they should, unless of course you are so anti-American as to believe that whatever an American thinks is immaterial.
0 Replies

Finn dAbuzz

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:42 pm
@ehBeth,
I agree and didn't argue otherwise.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:47 pm
Why is it that some Americans have so much humor and some other Americans just don't get it?
chai2

Reply Thu 27 Mar, 2014 06:49 pm
@Finn dAbuzz,
Finn dAbuzz wrote:

Did he, by chance, relate how he was perceived and treated?

I'm sure he was treated as an American, as he was born and raised here.