A Plea from a Marine in Iraq

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:16 am
A Plea from a Marine in Iraq

Hello Everyone, I am taking time to ask you all for your help.

First off, I'd like to say that this is not a political message. I'm not concerned about domestic politics right now. We have much bigger things to deal with, and we need your help.

It seems that despite the tremendous and heroic efforts of the men and women serving here in Iraq to bring much needed peace and stability to this region, we are losing the war of perception with the media and American people. Our enemy has learned that the key to defeating the mighty American military is by swaying public opinion at home and abroad. We are a people that cherish the democratic system of government and therefore hold the will of the people in the highest regard. We love to criticize ourselves almost to an endless degree, because we care what others think. Our enemies see this as a weakness and are trying to exploit it.

When we ask ourselves questions like, "Why do they hate us?" or "What did we do wrong?" we are playing into our enemies' hands. Our natural tendency to question ourselves is being used against us to undermine our effort to do good in the world. How far would we have gotten if after the surprise attacks on December 7, 1941 at Pearl Harbor, we would have asked, "Why do the Japanese hate us so much?" or "How can we change ourselves so that they won't do that again?" Here in Iraq the enemy is trying very hard to portray our efforts as failing and fruitless. They kill innocents and desecrate their bodies in hopes that the people back home will lose the will to fight for liberty. They are betting on our perceived weakness as a thoughtful, considerate people. Unfortunately our media only serves to further their cause.

In an industry that feeds on ratings and bad news, a failure in Iraq would be a goldmine. When our so-called "trusted" American media takes a quote from an Iraqi doctor as the gospel truth over that of the men and women that are daily fighting to protect the right to freedom of press, you know something is wrong. That doctor claimed that out of 600 Iraqis, that were casualties of the fighting, the vast majority of them were women, children and the elderly. This is totally absurd. In the history of man, no one has spent more time and effort, often to the detriment of our own mission, to be more discriminate in our targeting of the enemy than the American military. The Marines and Soldiers serving in Iraq have gone through extensive training in order to limit the amount of innocent casualties and collateral damage.

Yet, despite all of this, our media consistently sides with those who openly lie and directly challenge the honor of our brave heroes fighting for liberty and peace. What we have to remember is that peace is not defined as an absence of war. It is the presence of liberty, stability, and prosperity. In the face of the horrendous tyranny of the former Iraqi regime, the only way true peace was able to come to this region was through force. That is what the American Revolution was all about. Have we forgotten? Freedom is not free and "peace" without principle is not peace. The peace that so-called "peace advocates" support can only be brought to Iraq through the military. And we are doing it, if only the world will let us! If the American people believe we are failing, even if we are not, then we will ultimately fail.

That is why I am asking for your support. Become a voice of truth in your community. Wherever you are fight the lies of the enemy. Don't buy into the pessimism and apathy that says, "It's hopeless," "They hate us too much," "That part of the world is just too messed up," "It's our fault anyway," "We're to blame," and so forth. Whether you're in middle school, working at a 9-5 job, retired, or a stay-at-home mom you can make a huge difference! There is nothing more powerful than the truth. So, when you watch the news and see doomsday predictions and spiteful opinions on our efforts over here, you can refute them by knowing that we are doing a tremendous amount of good. Spread the word. No one is poised to make such an amazing contribution to the everyday lives of Iraqis and the rest of the Arab world than the American Armed Forces. By making this a place where liberty can finally grow, we are making the whole world safer. Your efforts at home are directly tied to our success. You are the soldiers at home fighting the war of perception. So I'm asking you as a fellow fighting man: Do your duty. Stop the attempts of the enemy wherever you are. You are a mighty force for good, because truth is on your side. Together we will win this fight and ensure a better world for the future.

God Bless and Semper Fidelis, 1st Lt. Robert L. Nofsinger USMC Ramadi, Iraq
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,894 • Replies: 63
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:06 am
Dear Lieutenant Nofsinger:

The media is not your problem, nor the enemy.

Your Commander-in-Chief, and the advisors and aides to him and his administration, lied repeatedly to the American people and the world about the premise to begin the action you now risk your life every day fighting.

The corporate media isn't really helping bring these lies to the knowledge of the American people, contrary to whatever news sources you are exposed to in theater. I doubt, for example, that you have enough time on your hands inbetween patrols and offensives to really scan a good bit of the spectrum of American and world media. I suspect what bit you have time to read is somewhat skewed. I make this conclusion this by your statement:

Quote:
"our media consistently sides with those who openly lie and directly challenge the honor of our brave heroes fighting for liberty and peace."

I see no evidence of this accusation and I safely say I read much more of the media, mainstream and non-, than you can. Please be assured that support for the Iraq War among a majority of Americans (despite whatever effort the corporate media is making) runs strong. This support is misguided, IMO, but my personal objection -- as well as the obections of a large minority of Americans -- should most certainly not be taken as a detraction of you, your service, or that of any of your fellow soldiers.

The mainstream media has failed to fulfill its role as watchdog for the people, having sold out years ago to the multinational corporations, who also in some cases happen to be defense contractors (GE/NBC).

The corporate media gives us Michael Jackson and Kobe Bryant and Scott Peterson right alongside explosions and burning Humvees but fails to show the flag-draped aluminum boxes in which your brave fallen brothers and sisters return home (guided by the afore-mentioned duplicitous administration).

The corporate media encourages your family at home to keep shopping and keep vacationing while hiding the truth of this war.

The plain truth that the corporate media cannot bring themselves to say (for fear of retribution by their executives as well as the administration) is that you should never have been fighting there in the first place. There were simply no good reasons to do so, despite the frantic (and ultimately failed) efforts to conjure up an acceptable one.

And the truth emerges, as it always does, despite the same frantic and failed efforts to conceal it.

And of course, if you were fighting in Afghanistan instead of Iraq, we wouldn't even have to have this exchange. Your service there would be truly heroic and just.

I'm not a 'prayer' kind of person, Lieutenant, but you have my thoughts of continued safety and courage. I hope you can come home soon to your loved ones, healthy and safe.

Regards,

A Conscientious Objector to an Unprovoked Attack

(edited to clarify the end of the fourth paragraph)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:12 am
national review online is such an interesting source of information!
0 Replies

infowarrior

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:15 am
Dear Lieutenant Nofsinger:

First, it is highly unusual and suspect that a Lieutenant involved in combat would have the free time to write such a letter.

Secondly, it is highly unusual and suspect that a Lieutenant would be permitted by his superiors to send such a letter.

Thirdly, perhaps if the number of civilian deaths in Iraq were lower (15,000 in Baghdad and 700 in Fallujah), then your actions in Iraq would be greeted with more support and less criticism.
0 Replies

yilmaz101

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:34 am
Dear lt Nofsinger,

Believe me when I say I can symphatise with you. I am from a country where an insurgency lasting over 15 years was fought. Thousands of brave young men from both sides and thousands of civilians parished, all sons and daughters of the same nation. I know you are not there fighting "for oil" or to further "corporate USA's agenda". You are there because your country called upon you for duty and you had to oblige. That sir I can sympathise with. But also we know the precision of your attacks, and the care you give to prevent civilian casualties throughout all the wars and battles fought by your army. All the way back from the fire bombing of Dresden during the WWII to the latest events in Fallujah. Of course the united states military doesnt target civilians. It is the dumb civilians that appear out of nowhere and get in the line of fire getting themselves killed. I have been fallowing the latest uprsing in iraq from CNN, BBC, Aljazeera, Alarabiya, Abu dhabi TV, and also our own national news casters. I find it amazing that most of the casualties carry signs of high caliber munitions damage. Far as I know the insurgents do not have bradley afv with 25mm cannons. A body doesnt mutilate to the degree we have seen so far on tv coverage with small arms fire.

Also I do not think that the iraqis could relly get away with killing their own and pointing the finger at you. It may be a plausable argument if it was just a psyops that they were doing in areas where there is no US military presence. But the fact that it is happening in Fallujah, right in front of 2000 marines means that either you are letting them get away with killing their own to make you look bad, or it is the marines themselves expanding the ordanence that some how manage to go find civilians despite your utmost care. In both cases either you become complicit in their deaths, or the unthinkable, you inflict those very deaths.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:42 am
infowarrior wrote:

First, it is highly unusual and suspect that a Lieutenant involved in combat would have the free time to write such a letter.

Secondly, it is highly unusual and suspect that a Lieutenant would be permitted by his superiors to send such a letter.

2nd Lt. Robert L. Nofsinger of 3rd Battalion, 11th Marines, is the local press officer.
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 02:50 pm
The Iraqis were good at media disinformation even during major combat operations. Comical Ali was one of the more interesting examples. I find it rather suspicious that people tell Coalition troops about WMD storage in a building, and when they go in, the booby trap explodes and kills some of them. And I find it even more interesting that someone has a video camera available right on the spot after it happens. Just as I find it interesting that after the four contractors were killed in Fallujah, there was another video camera luckily right on the scene, right at the time it happened. And the people who are celebrating, throwing concrete blocks at the contractors' car or dancing in the street carrying a dead soldier's helmet, or throwing shoes at a downed helicopter, all look like the same 12 guys. They're probably assembled from a pool of actors and one cameraman, tipped off to be at the scene of an attack just before it happens, and then they run out and dance around while the videotape rolls. And the liberal American news media. who take any chance they can to discredit the war effort, obediently rolls that footage. Next time you see something like that, concentrate on what's happening in the background. You'll see crowds of people standing around, just watching. Not celebrating, not pumping their hands in the air or shouting, just watching. THOSE are the real Iraqi citizens, not the scripted and rehearsed actors in the foreground.

I'm happy that most Americans do seem to understand why we went to war, and despite the efforts of the mainstream media to make things look bad, the people do support the effort, the troops, and the administration. The Big Three news networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) are losing many of their viewers, who now prefer to watch the cable news channels to get a more honest rendition of what's happening without all the left-wing editorial comments thrown in. There are good things that are happening in Iraq, but the mainstream press usually shows only the bad things that they attribute to the Coalition. I just saw a news conference (on a cable news network) where Donald Rumsfeld held up a picture of the inside of a mosque. He pointed out that the people in the mosque were all carrying religious instruments - rocket-propelled grenades and AK-47s. He said "You won't see this picture in any newspaper." And he's right. And probably none of the Big Three networks will carry his statement, either.

Lt. Nofsinger is right in urging people to seek the truth. The truth won't be found by listening to the talking heads on the news networks or watching scripted demonstrations at disaster sites or interviewing retired military officers. The truth is over there in Iraq, and the only people who really know what it is are people like Lt. Nofsinger. I hope he writes more articles like this one, because it's something many of us need to hear.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:00 pm
Walter Hinteler wrote:
infowarrior wrote:

2nd Lt. Robert L. Nofsinger of 3rd Battalion, 11th Marines, is the local press officer.

Well there you go.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:24 pm
Bookmark
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 03:55 pm
Pdiddie, is that original, or was than penned by Bagdhad Bob?
0 Replies

Tarantulas

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:21 pm
Maybe it was Saddam himself!

I got into trouble once on another board when a new member posted in the Religion & Politics forum. With his first post, he called George Bush a liar and a thief, and said he had to be impeached before he destroyed the planet, and lots of other extremely hateful stuff. This was during Major Combat Operations in Iraq, so I responded with "Saddam! We thought you had been killed in the bombing! Welcome to the board!" That was the only time the (extremely liberal) owner ever spoke to me. Basically he told me to STFU. So I did! Laughing
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:31 pm
Well, I didn't call anyone a name. I'm just pulling Pdiddie's chain with a loaded question.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 04:31 pm
Tarantulas wrote:
The Big Three news networks (ABC, CBS, and NBC) are losing many of their viewers, who now prefer to watch the cable news channels to get a more honest rendition of what's happening blah blah liberal blah

Inaccurate, and another tiresome example of interpreting honest data crookedly to reflect one's opinion.

The networks are losing viewers (down 33% since Cronkite, Chancellor, and Brinkley handed off to Rather, Brokaw, and Jennings) but that's due to their audiences dying off and not to any 'honest rendition' or anything else the cable snooze is doing.

Quote:
But last week, the ABC, CBS and NBC newscasts drew a nightly average of 23 million viewers.

From the Wa Po, 3/10/04.

FOX (5.5 million viewers or so) of course whips CNN (anywhere from 1 to 2 million) and MSNBC (about 700K at best), but even the lowest-rated network newscast has nearly twice as many pairs of eyes watching compared to cable's highest-rated.

That's not necessarily a good thing for the republic, though, especially if television is one's only source of news:

Quote:
In a series of polls from May through September of this year, researchers from the University of Maryland and Knowledge Networks' Program on International Policy Attitudes have tracked the public's misperceptions of several aspects of the Iraq war. As reported in The American Prospect, the Program's findings show an epidemic of misinformation in the entire television news media. Forty-eight percent of those polled believed that the United States found evidence of a close link between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda. In addition, 22 percent thought the U.S. found weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, and 25 said that on balance, world opinion favored the Iraq war. Meanwhile, 60 percent of respondents believed at least one of these false statements. The Program's researchers then asked where the respondents got most of their news. The findings: 80 percent of Fox viewers believed at least one of the statements, and 45 percent believed all three. Of CBS viewers, 71 percent believed one of the mistakes, and 55 percent of CNN and NBC viewers believed one of the statements.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 07:47 pm
frontpagemag appears to be down. Hope it isn't more than temporary.

McG...did you really figure that was a letter from a regular joe?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:17 pm
Quote:
And the people who are celebrating, throwing concrete blocks at the contractors' car or dancing in the street carrying a dead soldier's helmet, or throwing shoes at a downed helicopter, all look like the same 12 guys.

They all look the same to you? Shocked

Quote:
They're probably assembled from a pool of actors and one cameraman, tipped off to be at the scene of an attack just before it happens, and then they run out and dance around while the videotape rolls.

Yes, I'm sure that's it, exactly...

That's some pretty incredible organization and execution of such a charade, if you are to be believed. And those twelve fellows that all look similar have to be pretty busy.

What do you suppose that job pays?

Quote:
And the liberal American news media. who take any chance they can to discredit the war effort, obediently rolls that footage.

That damn liberal media again.

How are we ever going to get the truth out of Iraq?
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:38 pm
Re: A Plea from a Marine in Iraq
McGentrix wrote:
Yet, despite all of this, our media consistently sides with those who openly lie and directly challenge the honor of our brave heroes fighting for liberty and peace.

Perhaps this is the kind of coverage Lt Nofsinger objects to.

CBS to Air Alleged GI Abuse of Iraqis
By DAVID CRARY

NEW YORK (AP) - U.S. military police stacked Iraqi prisoners in a human pyramid, and attached wires to one detainee to convince him he might be electrocuted, according to photographs obtained by CBS News which led to criminal charges against six American soldiers.
In March, the U.S. Army announced that six members of the 800th Military Police Brigade faced court martial for allegedly abusing about 20 prisoners at Abu Ghraib. The charges included dereliction of duty, cruelty and maltreatment, assault and indecent acts with another person.
In addition to those criminal charges, the military has recommended disciplinary action against seven U.S. officers who helped run the prison, including Brig. Gen. Janice Karpinski, the commander of the 800th Brigade, a senior military official said Wednesday in Baghdad.

Link to CNN story
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Wed 28 Apr, 2004 08:54 pm
US War Dead in Iraq Exceeds Early Vietnam Years
http://www.veteransforpeace.org/US_War_Dead_111403.htm
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 06:35 am
suzy wrote:
US War Dead in Iraq Exceeds Early Vietnam Years
http://www.veteransforpeace.org/US_War_Dead_111403.htm

Prepare to be attacked as a liar because of the source of this article...and besides that the usual suspects here do not care about this statistic because of their war lust and the fact that it's not their ass on the line......but rather some not quite clearly definable goal against terrorism.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 07:59 am
This isn't Vietnam. Anyone can get statistics to show anything and this statistic show nothing.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2004 08:00 am
McGentrix wrote:
This isn't Vietnam. Anyone can get statistics to show anything and this statistic show nothing.

Exactly 44% of people say this.
0 Replies