Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,001 • Replies: 65
No top replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 05:56 pm
No problem. Bush is a post turtle.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 05:58 pm
If the Dems would nominate Zell Miller, I'd sign up as a volunteer to help campaign. I'd give some consideration to Joe Lieberman.

But Howard Dean vs John Kerry? That's a toughie.
0 Replies

suzy

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:07 pm
"If the Dems would nominate Zell Miller, I'd sign up as a volunteer to help campaign. I'd give some consideration to Joe Lieberman."
Blecch.
It's not to late for repugs to nominate a real republican, either!
0 Replies

mesquite

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:09 pm
Makes no difference who runs against him. Bush is a post turtle.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:16 pm
Duh
Anti-intellectualism

Quote:
Anti-intellectualism is found in every nation on earth. Americans, among others, have been accused quite vocally of suffering from it, particularly by the liberal literati both in the USA and in Europe. Such accusations are particularly fueled by existence of the political schism between the Republican and Democratic parties which prompt the less scrupulous contenders on both sides use it as a term of abuse for their opponents. By comparison societies in Europe and Asia are much more politically homogenous.

Historically, anti-intellectualism did play a prominent role in American culture. Some of it originated from the commonly held view among conservative Christians of old that education subverts morality and religious belief. The validity of this view, in fact, was well substantiated by the spread of atheism and Deism among the educated during the Enlightenment. Hence, for instance, the New England Puritan writer John Cotton wrote in 1642 that "The more learned and witty you bee, the more fit to act for Satan will you bee."

A much more important historical source of anti-intellectualism has been the 19th century popular culture. At the time when the vast majority of the population was involved in manual labor, bookish education, which at the time focused on classics, was seen to have little value. It should be noted that Americans of the era were generally very literate and, in fact, read Shakespeare much more than their present day counterparts. However, the ideal at the time was an individual skilled and successful in his trade and a productive member of society; studies of classics and Latin in colleges were generally derided in popular culture. Anti-intellectual folklore values the self-reliant and "self-made man," schooled by society and by experience, over the intellectual whose learning was acquired through books and formal study. A character of O'Henry has noted that once a graduate of an East Coast college gets over being vain, he makes just as good a cowboy as any other young man.

Today both of the factors discussed above are pretty much non-existent in America. Christian thinkers, who no longer have much influence in society in any event, no longer consider education in general evil, although they may object to some of its specific un-Christian aspects, e.g. alleged anti-religious propaganda in schools and colleges. The ideal of the self-made man without schooling has also disappeared together with the once-plentiful manual jobs; in today's society education is generally seen as essential and roughly speaking most everybody either graduated from college or is hoping to do so sooner or later.

A major preserve of real, militant anti-intellectualism in today's America (as perhaps in many other countries) is a youth subculture often associated with those students who are more interested in social life and athletics than in their studies. Such subculture exists among students of all groups, although among Asians Americans it is reputedly much less pronounced. On the other hand, there exists much anecdotal evidence of anti-intellectualism among African American youth who may consider focusing on school studies a "white" thing. Needless to say, there are plenty of loafers and anti-intellectuals among white students also.

Perceived lack of "real life" usefulness, as well as, allegedly, academic rigor in humanities studies in the universities have contributed to much disdain for such studies, particularly among those who study, or have studied, technical subjects. This may be considered anti-intellectualism, or perhaps a "rival-intellectualism" inasmuch as people, who may think that intellectual pursuit of study of English literature is useless, may think that studying mechanical engineering, which is an intellectual activity of no little complexity, is useful and good. A characteristic criticism, not necessarily valid by any means, of the study of humanities is that teaching students literature prepares them to become future professors of literature.

American educational system also serves as a significant wellspring of anti-intellectualism in its reputed failure to impart the necessary knowledge and skills to make informed decisions about the world to its students, of which see below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-intellectualism
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 06:26 pm
Bush is a post turtle.

And a whistle-ass.
0 Replies

pistoff

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 08:41 pm
W
"I was not prepared to shoot my eardrum out with a shotgun in order to get a deferment, nor was I willing to go to Canada, so I chose to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes."
- Bush (1994) About the Vietnam war.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 08:53 pm
You know, I felt exactly the same way when the GOP scooped the bottom of the river and came up with Lord Bush. His record in Texas as governor was frightening and I feared he and his cronies would try to do the same thing to the whole country.

But I was wrong.

What Lord Bush has done is far worse. The war in Iraq, started with faulty intelligence, wishy-washy facts, and out right lies, is truly criminal.

Where are the qualified and honest Republicans? Maybe there aren't any?
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:13 pm
I suspect this writer thinks his piece delightfully witty and just jammed-full of tricks. I suspect he's really a hoot at neighborhood barbecues or while sitting in the barber's chair. I suspect his barber doesn't agree.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:19 pm
I think I heard a program someplace that if Hillary ran, she would beat both Bush and Kerry.
0 Replies

Deecups36

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:21 pm
hi blatham- Anymore I think the national elections are little more than expensive staged events where the similarities between the candidates outnumber the differences. Howard Dean actually had something to say and he brought millions of young people to the franchise, which in Deecup's opinion, scared the hell out of the establishment.

That's why he had to be crucified.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:39 pm
If Oprah ran, she'd beat them all.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 09:55 pm
On Tommy Burkett; http://www.freerepublic.com/forum/a664244.htm
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:13 pm
Interesting? but i think you meant to post it elsewhere ci.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
Centroles, Ofcoarse you're absolutely correct! Just one of many senior moments - which becomes more frequent every day. Wink
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:15 pm
I have to wonder here folks that the article prompted a great deal more Bush bashing, but not one of you has made even a lame attempt to defend Kerry as a good choice by the Dems? Is it that you agree with the writer?
0 Replies

Centroles

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:26 pm
I won't lie, Foxfyre.

I was rooting for Dean. Edwards was my second choice. Both energized me as candidates more. But that had to do with their personalities.

But I honestly don't have anything against Kerry.

I like the guy and am convinced he will do a great job.

In fact I think he would do a better job than either Dean (not good at getting bipartisan support IMO) or Edwards (too close to the lawyers to support law suit caps).

Kerry has more experience and better policies.

He just never captivated me during the primaries.

And I hated the fact that he was a main force in bringing down Dean.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:28 pm
Kerry doesn't have kareesma.
0 Replies

blatham

Reply Tue 27 Apr, 2004 10:39 pm
fox

It's not a serious piece. Take sentence one..."With the air gushing out of Kerry's balloon..."

That's a black-PR line with a completely transparent intent...suggest it is so and folks might believe it. Suggest that the fellow needs defending because....his wife is wealthy? How many people in high level American politics are not wealthy beyond what you and I might ever dream of becoming? That's a relevant question, but not anything that differentiates Kerry and Bush.

And he tosses in "Bill Clinton's triangulation gimmicry" to what end? To forward a connection to satan/clinton, while suggesting he's tricky. This is a PR technique called 'negative positioning'.

The rest of the piece follows in like manner. It really isn't worthy of contestation.
0 Replies